Author Topic: Calling Stig re shocks  (Read 249 times)

GoVanGo

• View Profile
Calling Stig re shocks
« on: June 24, 2023, 04:39:43 AM »
So i just waded through around 50 threads and quite a few of yours about your search and then stopping for better shocks from back in 2013.
So I never did see any conclusion , do the Super 8 shocks work on the 200i?
I dont need better shocks, I just need some shocks that work and arent costly.

Just got a 2017 with 950 miles with the owner having "cut" the shocks in order so his short legs could touch .     I bottom it out just sitting on the seat , its currently adjusted for max stiff but that doesnt help a bit. 

Oh found this vid of aftermarket shocks being installed
 in asia .  Interesting , how about those chrome floor mats ?  Lets not count any OSHA violations here .

06 ZX50
14 Agility 125
17  Like 200i

Before scoot life .
Honda XR100, 4 CB 750s , 1978 Kawa Z1R , 79 Goldwing , HD RoadKing , Honda Areo 1100 .

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Calling Stig re shocks
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 12:27:44 PM »
Hello,
Well, I went looking for 'better' shocks years ago with my new LIKE200i - eventually bought a pair of "MDI, Absorber Motorcycle" chrome shocks.
Took one look at those babies...and now use them as book-ends in the garage.

There are all kinds of aftermarket shocks out there - and if funds were no object - testing them all one would probably find a 'better' shock than the OEM Kymco shock. Usually - after spending a few hundred - the ride report is very positive. Every so often I'll read a report that says  - "they're just stiffer riding"....and that must be 'better' riding yes?

IMHO--- it is a scooter!...with the engine and rear wheel one unit.....with very little possible suspension travel available --- which = not a great ride.

In my reading I've come to the conclusion that aftermarket shocks are stiffer. Full stop. Those who race scooters seriously seem to say the same thing , "yep - they are stiffer riding, if that is what you want?" Harder to bottom-out.

I've only ridden and owned a Honda, Suzuki, Piaggio and a Kymco scooter - and every one will bottom-out if the pot hole is deep enough!
The 500lb Suzuki scooter rode smoother than any other I've owned. But owners on the Suzuki forum still complained about their ride!
By comparison - that big heavy Suzuki rode like a Buick in my opinion!

Certainly - if you can find a scooter parts seller who has a shock to fit the LIKE200i - we'd all love to hear about it - and your riding experience with it!

Previous owner cut your shocks... - there are used LIKE200i shocks for sale on ebay. New from www.Leesonsarcticcat.com

Is it my imagination?....or is that SKS shock in the video shorter than the stock one he took off? reducing the suspension travel??

To sum up - spend the $$$ for an aftermarket shock - afterwards you'll be certain your ride has improved. :)

Anyway, let us know how things turn out for you.

Regards, Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Calling Stig re shocks
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 02:14:22 PM »
Subjective I know Stig, but the YSS units I used on my PCX125 and X-Town were improved OEM. Dramatically so in the case of the Honda 😀
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()