Author Topic: Roller Direction in Variator  (Read 362 times)

Vision

• View Profile
Roller Direction in Variator
« on: June 09, 2023, 12:31:33 AM »
It's strange that this information isn't listed anywhere, not even in the manual. The best I can come up with is the roller side with the more composite material should be on the right side which is facing the V. 

This information comes from a comment from a youtube video. The person making the comment is contradicting the video creator and who says it should be facing the left. The commentator suggesting the right says he spoke with the Kymco factory.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
Re: Roller Direction in Variator
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 05:20:27 AM »
Years of experience with these things shows that it really doesn't matter.  They're not actually "rollers" - they slide to and fro without rolling. That's why some are actually asymmetric in shape and they're called "sliders".  Or even "sliding rollers"! Performance may vary slightly, but you can always try them a different way. I grease the roller/sliders with a touch of lithium grease. Feel free to experiment.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 12:08:00 PM »
Years of experience with these things shows that it really doesn't matter.  They're not actually "rollers" - they slide to and fro without rolling. That's why some are actually asymmetric in shape and they're called "sliders".  Or even "sliding rollers"! Performance may vary slightly, but you can always try them a different way. I grease the roller/sliders with a touch of lithium grease. Feel free to experiment.
Agreed to roller points, no difference how you put it.

For greasing: made the experience (in dusty ambiance) roller which were lightly greased had more wear due to collected muck.

I would only greasy the ones which are covered by a plate (some models) or according to factory standarts.
 Saw, when CVTs innert ramps were nicely polished, less wear on ramps and rollers.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 01:18:02 PM »
Thanks all.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 03:25:00 PM »
Yes, when there's a difference - the metal side of the roller goes to the right when dropping in at 12 o'clock.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 05:32:45 PM »
Well I put them in with the metal side on the left per the youtube comment. Is this a problem?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 12:26:30 AM »
Well I put them in with the metal side on the left per the youtube comment. Is this a problem?
No.
Just next time try them to the right.
This is per Robot, the Vespa guru.

Stig
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 12:30:24 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()