Author Topic: Broken rear carrier mount  (Read 317 times)

Vision

• View Profile
Broken rear carrier mount
« on: May 23, 2023, 09:55:58 PM »
My bike's basket has carried a lot of weight during its 10 years of wonderful service. Today I noticed the basket attached to the rear carrier has movement to it and sadly the right side rear carrier mount has ripped out of the frame.

The rear carrier and attached basket are sturdy with the left mount and center mount tight but what options are there? See if someone will weld it back in place? Try to JB weld that section of the mount back in place? Try to zip tie the carrier in place to the frame?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Broken rear carrier mount
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 11:37:03 PM »
Photos possible?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 12:10:20 AM »
You can see that the right side carrier mount broke. What a poor design.

I was going to JB Weld the broken piece in place but decided to use a large zip tie to apply tension to the carrier bar from the frame and use a smaller tie to keep the larger tie in place. This was done on both sides.

This also provided an opportunity to replace the rear shock which was on the to do list. It's difficult to get the rear plastic off and I didn't get it perfectly aligned after replacing it.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 12:58:29 PM »
@Vision, seeing your pics I might say this demage was done by material fatigue caused by excessive weight in combination with vibrations.

Fixing one side with cable ties will brake the other side too eventually.

The proper way to repair this holder is, reinforce it with a metal shim, weld (MIG/MAG/electrodes) the broken part in there, sand and paint it to match.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 01:26:41 PM »
@Vision, seeing your pics I might say this demage was done by material fatigue caused by excessive weight in combination with vibrations.

Fixing one side with cable ties will brake the other side too eventually.

The proper way to repair this holder is, reinforce it with a metal shim, weld (MIG/MAG/electrodes) the broken part in there, sand and paint it to match.

I put up to 50lb of weight on the carrier rack, so you're probably right.

Both sides got the ties but the other may still break.

I want the strongest fix but that metal is thin, I'm not sure what the best solution is. I may contact a local welder.

Thanks

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 06:02:14 PM »
Welding will be the solution..
Cover everything with WET rags, batteryminus off battery and you are fine.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 09:06:55 AM »
It's difficult to decode the photos here because of the scale of the images. Regardless, I agree with the others that welding will be the strongest repair, that an epoxy repair won't do the job.  FWIW, I've found muffler repair shops to be useful for welding light-gauge fittings like luggage racks.  They're used to welding without setting gas tanks on fire!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()