Author Topic: Turn Signals Not Flashing, Stay Solid  (Read 866 times)

WineryCowboy

• View Profile
Turn Signals Not Flashing, Stay Solid
« on: May 23, 2023, 02:45:45 AM »
Hello, as title states, the turn signals do not flash and just stay solid. I replaced the flasher relay with a brand new one but still the same symptom, all lights work, they just don’t flash, any ideas? I’m thinking about just buying some electrical contact cleaner and spraying the connector that connects to the flasher relay but other than that I have no other clue.

Alan F.

• View Profile
Re: Turn Signals Not Flashing, Stay Solid
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 11:40:50 PM »
I'd check for corrosion inside the socket, and at all of the places where the turn signals bolt onto the frame. When connections get dirty their electrical Resistance rises. At some point Resistance from dirty connections reaches the point where the turn signal flasher can't even tell that there's just a couple of bulbs connected to it, and it stops flashing.

It's the opposite situation of when a turn signal bulb blows, with only one good bulb the resistance is lower and the one good bulb flashes twice as fast.

WineryCowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 10:29:41 AM »
I opened up the covers to the bulbs and the not sure how the bulbs are secured, is it twisted in or is there like something to push to release it? They’re so fragile I’m afraid to break them with my fingers alone haha

Alan F.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 12:46:55 PM »
It's actually a combination of push and twist.
Some visuals:

« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 12:49:11 PM by Alan F. »

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 04:00:03 PM »
Nice clear tutorial there Alan, well done!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Alan F.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 09:52:28 PM »
Thanks Neil, think so? In general I try to give enough info without insulting anyone's intelligence and encourage experience by removing the mystery.

Maybe I should teach shop class? I've been watching Vise Grip Garage on YouTube, Derek reminds me of my Junior High shop teacher quite a bit.
https://youtube.com/@ViceGripGarage
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 09:57:28 PM by Alan F. »

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 07:53:02 AM »
Thanks Neil,

Maybe I should teach shop class?
https://youtube.com/@ViceGripGarage

I'd attend!  Maybe get Ruffus along as a guest speaker?  ;)
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

WineryCowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 04:39:28 AM »
It's actually a combination of push and twist.
Some visuals:

Ah I see now thanks for the pictures! I’ll see what I find this weekend when I remove them

WineryCowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2023, 02:33:03 PM »
Just an update, so turns out the two front turn signal assemblies are aftermarket and not stock, and only support bulbs up to 5w while the rear ones are stock with the correct 10w bulbs. Called so many places before realizing these turn signals don’t support any bulbs at 10w so I ordered the OEM ones, hopefully this finally gets my blinkers actually blinking now.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()