Author Topic: Removing plastics  (Read 2538 times)

bosticer

• View Profile
Removing plastics
« on: May 10, 2023, 06:15:23 PM »
Hi,
I bought a used Compagno 50i.
I’m trying to remove the plastics around the handlebars because I’m trying to replace the kill switch, Which had been removed and just complete the wiring circuit without the switch by connecting the wires.
Since I normally tend to force plastics, thereby breaking them, I wanted to seek advice on removing them here.
 Any suggestions?

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Removing plastics
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023, 06:36:17 AM »
Don’t do it!

Seriously the received wisdom on here seems to be never attempt this when ambient temperatures are low, the plastic is brittle in those conditions and prone to crack/snap. Judicious use of a hairdryer or heat gun might help in this regard. Also expect the experts on here to come along and tell you about the frequently encountered hidden tangs and clips!

Good luck with it.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

bosticer

• View Profile
Re: Removing plastics
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 11:27:41 AM »
I ended up taking the actual small switch out of a new assembly and putting it into the old assembly which I managed to be able one up without removing the handlebar plastics.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()