Author Topic: Belt change and DR Pulley sliders. 2016 Downtown 300i  (Read 586 times)

NorWeWa

• View Profile
Belt change and DR Pulley sliders. 2016 Downtown 300i
« on: May 04, 2023, 12:25:03 AM »
Bought the 2016 Downtown 300i last summer. 6 year old machine with 1400 miles on it.  Last fall ordered a Malossi belt and DR Pulley 15 gram sliders with some concern for the age of the belt not the miles. Even with no problems showing with the original belt decided to do the change and not worry about summer riding. The Malossi belt measured and compared to the orginal I took off. Original belt had minor wear and no cracks or signs of concern. The rollers were just starting to develop some flat spots, at 5400 miles. Sanded the glaze off the clutch pads and went back together easy.
Have to say if it wasn't for the Downtown 300 having a tachometer I would not know any difference with the DR Sliders. Not exactly sure what weight the original rollers are, I had heard 16 grams, and the tach does show I think a bit more rpm at take-off and with cruising about at 30 to 40 mph. Not a bad thing, it seems a little smoother using a touch more rpm. 
Conclusion .  If the DR Pulley sliders last longer, which I have heard they will, The Sliders are an OK choice. 
Looking at my old beam torque wrench, noted it was made in Taiwan. How appropriate for my Made in Taiwan Kymco. 

Art 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 12:29:45 AM by NorWeWa »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Belt change and DR Pulley sliders. 2016 Downtown 300i
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 03:14:22 AM »
Do continue updates on your overall opinion of the results as they may change and they will increase with experience.

The stock rollers are shown to be 15.5 grams and I confirmed that with a tiny electronic scale I have had for other purposes originally. NO, not that purpose! Can't recall why but it wasn't for mixing recreational drugs! I was a drunk, not a doper! Har, har!

I have heard some good things about sliders over the years but were countered by some sad stories, too. Decided to stick with rollers until sliders matured some more.

Taiwan has traditionally made mostly good stuff. They are some really tough, resilient folks there with strong work ethics, like the mainland chinese  but with a much better government.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 10:42:46 AM »
I Think that traditionally after market parts are supposed to be better than OEM parts.
But, for years, here - the consensus is that no one makes a better belt for a Kymco - than Kymco. And of course with OEM KYMCO,  there's never a problem with proper size.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

NorWeWa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 02:34:32 PM »
Ordered the belt and parts from Scooter Partsco and they carry a lot of Malossi.  Malossi I feel has a good reputation. I agree the Kymco OEM is as good as you can get. I guess I saved a couple $$. Maybe.

I'm also wondering if the sliders will change the good MPG that I see for my 300i. 

Art 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 02:46:24 PM by NorWeWa »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 07:55:14 PM »
Ordered the belt and parts from Scooter Partsco and they carry a lot of Malossi.  Malossi I feel has a good reputation. I agree the Kymco OEM is as good as you can get. I guess I saved a couple $$. Maybe.

I'm also wondering if the sliders will change the good MPG that I see for my 300i. 

Art
When you go different belt - then you might see a change.
When you go sliders - you might see a change.
When you do both - hard to tell where the changes in RPM and/or MPG might be coming from.
But if you're happy....we're happy  :)
Stig

BTW: looks like you saved $100 on the belt!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 08:00:25 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

NorWeWa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2023, 03:05:10 PM »
Update here on the Dr Pulley sliders I installed. 
After a couple hundred miles, I am good with the sliders. I went with 15 gram which is as close as I found to the stock roller weight. The around town riding it is using more rpm, and the Downtown feels smoother and easy to ride at slower speeds. Once out on the highways which are not all that straight and level around here I am seeing 60 mph, which is all that's needed here on our rural roads, at around 5500 to 5600 rpm. Just about the same as with the stock rollers.  Gas mileage seems to be the same. Getting into the 70's mpg.  The Milossi belt which specs the same as the OEM, is good. 

Art 

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2023, 03:50:53 PM »
The Milossi belt which specs the same as the OEM, is good.

This is the crucial information. I have been VERY interested in finding a really suitable alternative to the Mitsuboshi exact OEM replacement. Not so much as price but availability. Price is a factor but the factory belt is, so far, the ONLY thing that seems to work reliably. And I get really cranky with the "only store in town" that cannot get parts and/or gouge!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

NorWeWa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2023, 07:35:30 PM »
Took a bunch of searching to get specs. The Kymco number or the belt I read off the belt 23100-LEA7-E00. Made in Japan and looked up the Mitsuboshi belt for the Downtown 300i and Racingplanetusa.com gives the spec for the Mitsuboshi belt as 1004 * 25.2.  I'm pretty sure the stock belt is a Mitsuboshi. $214.  I bought the Malossi belt from scooterpartsco.com.  Part # 6115277 and the Malossi web site specs that belt also at 1004 * 25.2 . That's the length and width.  $89.87 todays price also. 
Have to say now that the stock belt after 5400 miles and 8 years shows no cracks or damage anywhere, and measures the same as the new Malossi I replaced it with. 
Down the road I may regret the $125 that I didn't spend on the replacement belt. 
I am liking the Dr Pully sliders and hope they last longer, as the stock rollers I pulled were getting flat spots. 

Art 

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2023, 07:49:41 PM »
Don't know particularely for 300 engines, but here in Italy you always get (looking up in dealers online part catalogues) MITSUBOSHI as OEM part.
At least last ten years.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

NorWeWa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2023, 09:30:51 PM »
Just to complete the specs. The OEM is 14.7 mm thick and 30 degree angle. Same for the Malossi.  My measurement on the thickness. 

Art 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2023, 09:51:12 PM »
Don't know particularely for 300 engines, but here in Italy you always get (looking up in dealers online part catalogues) MITSUBOSHI as OEM part.
At least last ten years.
Yes, the three belts I've purchased from dealer came in a Kymco bag, and are Mitsuboshi.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()