Author Topic: Newbie needs some help - Kymco Like 200i Parts and questions - Please :-)  (Read 800 times)

kymcolou

• View Profile
Hello community
A two week owner here of a 2020 Like 200i that I picked up for what I believe to be a great deal...with only 130 miles on it.  Think was in near perfect condition except for a very few minor paint dings and a broken tip on the left brake handle.  Spent the day cleaning it and it looks brand spanking new!!!

Took the bike for one ride around the neighborhood and I lost a damn floor plug that covers the screws that hold down the floor board.  Did some research online and I cannot see spending $25-$35 for one of these little tiny pieces of plastic.  I am so angry!!  I take the bike for one ride and lose a part!  This guy cosmetically abuses the bike and doesnt lose a darn thing!!  Any ideas where I can get one of the plugs without being ripped off?  I am a DIYer, and I suddenly have this feeling that even maintaining this thing myself is not going to be cheap...  Would love to know best practices and places to get parts and information to help maintain this thing.  Any help is so greatly appreciated :-)

Also, is 87 Octane good enough for this vehicle or do I have to put high grade gas in it?

Last, would love to replace the broke brake lever, but when I attempted to take apart the instrument panel I became quite skiddish.  The plastic feels quite brittle and i was terrified to crack or break it.  I just could not get the two halves to separate easily, got scared and gave up.  It was not worth the horrible feelings I would have had to deal with if I broke it just because I cannot deal with imperfections...but the darn broken brake lever is driving me nuts!!  Any advice on how to take the control panel apart to access the brake levers and replace them?  I'll even take a direction to someplace where I can read anything to help.  The internet just seems so thin on any information for this scooter....

Hoping I didnt make a mistake :-(  Thanks for reading and offering any help.

big blue

• View Profile
 Hello and welcome, I had the same thing happen to me on my 2012 Like. You can go to your local ACE hardware and get plastic hole plugs that work just fine and won't pop out.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Look here

https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=29611.0

Best to do this when panel is warm - at least never try on a really cold day!

Squeeze the rear half of the headset (handlebar cover) with your hands ---- ease it open and off. Pay attention to the clips and tabs....

BTW- you have a very reliable scooter. One of the most reliable by Kymco. Parts are not expensive - the parts you will wear out after years of riding.
Try ebay for all kinds of used LIKE parts - but honestly the sellers ask too much for them. Buy new.
new parts in the USA....https://www.leesonsarcticcat.com/search/inventory/Brand/Arctic%20Cat/brand/KYMCO

Brake lever mounting point. You'll need the correct Kymco lever.
if serious about DIYing - manuals avail at www.cyclepedia.com

« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 06:01:28 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ruffus

• View Profile
@kymcolou, welcome here!
Sure you got a nice and reliable scoot with your nearly brandnew LIKE 200i.

For this brake lever: (pls see pic)
-since this is not only a simple lever, but operates your brake via piston and line rear bake system AND one of your brake switches (located within your LH  brake assambly), you will need an original or an aftermarket specified for LH KYMCO brake system.

I think I saw somewhere brake/clutch lever extensions, this could also be used to mend your lever until you find an OE or other part.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 07:51:04 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

kymcolou

• View Profile
You folks are awesome!!!
Thank you so much for the replies...

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
You folks are awesome!!!
Well, yes we are! It is SO HARD to be humble when....Har, har! Really just joking....mostly!
One guy here has one answer, another has another answer to a different problem, one more has a part of an answer and a guy in (pick a country) has the rest of the answer. Then sometimes we all learn something new from another guy who has disassembled his just to find the answer!

Gather the whole crew and we could rewrite the service manuals and get rid of most of the errors. Similarly, we could set up any new bike and delay some common problems for years if not forever.

You have a question about model xyz? The answer is here somewhere. When no one knows you get the only valid answer which is "I don't know." Then some guy like Ruffus in Italy pipe up with the exact answer. Or John Grinsel has it based on really HUGE experience. Stig can give you the feel of the exact torque for an M4 bolt so you don't strip the aluminum threads.

You inna right place. Have fun! We do!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
You folks are awesome!!!

And we should just add, welcome to the forum.  Everything Crossbolt says is true, there's a wealth of experience on here that everyone loves to share!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Yes - your owner's manual stipulates RON 91 for fuel.

Highly recommend using stations which advertise that they sell "Top Tier" fuel. It does not cost more than non Top-Tier fuels.

google Top Tier fuel if you're not familiar with it

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

East Valley Scooters

• View Profile
Hi and welcome.
I’m also new to the forum.
I have a parts bike if you need anything from it.

Aaron

GoVanGo

• View Profile
Hi and welcome.

Aaron
Just sent you a PM
06 ZX50
14 Agility 125
17  Like 200i

Before scoot life .
Honda XR100, 4 CB 750s , 1978 Kawa Z1R , 79 Goldwing , HD RoadKing , Honda Areo 1100 .

GoVanGo

• View Profile
Hello community
A two week owner here of a 2020 Like 200i that I picked up for what I believe to be a great deal...with only 130 miles on it.  Think was in near perfect condition except for a very few minor paint dings and a broken tip on the left brake handle.  Spent the day cleaning it and it looks brand spanking new!!!

Nice score , and 130 miles .   Im a one day owner got a 2017 with 940 miles  :)
06 ZX50
14 Agility 125
17  Like 200i

Before scoot life .
Honda XR100, 4 CB 750s , 1978 Kawa Z1R , 79 Goldwing , HD RoadKing , Honda Areo 1100 .

kymcolou

• View Profile
Hi and welcome.

Aaron

Hey Aaron
Do you have a left hand brake lever?
How much you want for it?

kymcolou

• View Profile
Nice score , and 130 miles .   Im a one day owner got a 2017 with 940 miles  :)

How you liking it??
Took mine out yesterday for a nice run along the ocean in south Florida...
You scored like me!!
Mine going in next week for it's 600 Mike break-in check up.  Been smith sailing this far.
I did buy a new seat cover from Cheeky Seats.  Great product if you need one!!!

GoVanGo

• View Profile
How you liking it??
You scored like me!!
Mine going in next week for it's 600 Mike break-in check up.  Been smith sailing this far.
Damned if I didnt lose one of those floor tabs on my 2nd ride yesterday lol.

Havent seen the cheeky seats stuff yet. gonna take a look now .
How do I like it?   Right off really surprised by the poor suspension , hows yours feel?
I ordered replacement shocks but not sure how those will be either.
06 ZX50
14 Agility 125
17  Like 200i

Before scoot life .

GoVanGo

• View Profile
How you liking it??
You scored like me!!

Just saw their webpage , post a pic when you can would like to see how it looks on the Like
06 ZX50
14 Agility 125
17  Like 200i

Before scoot life .

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()