Author Topic: Breaking In a Belt  (Read 489 times)

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
Breaking In a Belt
« on: March 25, 2023, 02:17:43 PM »
Has anyone seen this?  Or heard of the technique?

Makes sense and seems worth doing, especially when the temptation of a new belt
is to test the acceleration and top speed.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 02:20:10 PM by monkeybongos »
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking In a Belt
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 03:04:17 PM »
interesting video...hadn't really given break in much thought. A quick search shows there is a lot of info out there on proper break in (most geared toward the harder life of a side by side / utility vehicle). One thing I saw repeated a lot was to first wash your new belt with soap and water to remove any debris, manufacturing material, etc. Install it on a perfectly clean drive/driven pulleys and take it easy to let it bed in.  Installing a new belt and immediately giving it the beans can result in slippage, heat and ultimately a shorter belt life.
Thanks for posting the video!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 08:37:50 PM »
as veteran of over 400,000 rubber band scooter miles----never gave break in much thought----replaced belts at 15,000 mile intervals with only OEM belts regardless of scooter make---riding a lot, belts do not stay on long---not riding a lot age could be factor in belt life----experienced one belt breakage under way, in VA after day long wide open riding, Helix belt near end of service life, carried new spare belt---Helix easy to change by only taking off side cover and fitting new belt in (nice feature!)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 10:39:43 PM »
Helix easy to change by only taking off side cover and fitting new belt in (nice feature!)
Man! - thar's the way to make a scooter! And I think the Helix is the one where you can do the valve lash adjustment through an opening in the side panels!
Easy belt - easy valve adjustment - super way to make a scooter. Go Honda!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 12:36:24 PM »
Helix----to get to valves, merely take seat off, one bolt----valve adjust, easy---had 4 new Helix, liked them----only problem all day riding, BUFFETING!-----built in trunk, nice.   3 US models, one Japan (Fusion) it appeared  nicer running that US models. As  recall about 175,000-200,000 with them.   Worked good in WI cold winter weather---always started.   

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 09:43:41 PM »
John, interesting that you mention buffeting as a problem with your Helixes...Helices?.I find that I get zero buffeting from mine. In fact, it gets a little warm in the summer due to the lack of air hitting me while riding. It could be that I'm shorter and miss the buffeting? I find it the ideal winter riding scoot as I stay warm and protected from any wind.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 12:18:26 PM »
Buffeting---depends on your level of experience and real amount of riding.    My base line for buffet free ride----BMW twin with Heinrich upper and lowers, Harley big twin with tin legshields and canvas  winter upper and maybe some Avon handlebar fairings....all these your nose is close to tip of windshield and you are looking over.    I have had new modern maxiscooters from Yamaha, Kymco, Honda and Suzuki----all, your nose is too far from tip of shield=buffeting!!  Ride 30,000 miles a year and  buffeting can be pain, period......and where is the hand protection on modern scooters?   I am talking rain/snow/fog here.   On scooters, only Vespa with the right shield can be quite buffet free......their problem in US right now=no dealers and maybe pricing.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()