Author Topic: 450 key is stuck  (Read 827 times)

Creel

• View Profile
450 key is stuck
« on: February 20, 2023, 05:17:01 PM »
My key is stuck in the ignition in the “on” position. I unplugged the ignition switch to shut it off. I am unable to get key out. Any suggestions for key removal and what possibly caused this issue?

mstparker

• View Profile
Re: 450 key is stuck
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 06:05:58 PM »
My key is stuck in the ignition in the “on” position. I unplugged the ignition switch to shut it off. I am unable to get key out. Any suggestions for key removal and what possibly caused this issue?

That's a new one on me. Tried restarting then turn off again?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 06:48:47 PM »
That one suggestion sounds reasonable. Try squirting sray lube in alongside the key with the skinny, red tube and willing the key gently if that first suggestion does not work. Make a big mess!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 05:35:23 PM »
I agree with squirting lube in to flush it out. Probably some crud in there.  Possibly a failure in the switch, but more likely just crud .  worse case scenerio is to by an aftermarket switch to replace the stock one.

kickstart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2023, 04:06:36 PM »
I just had the same issue and put a glove on and some pressure and it snapped when I turned it back and now it will not spring back when I turn it over to start but it will turn back to the on position manually. I guess I applied to much pressure and I must have broken the spring. I just have to remember to turn it back so the starter doesn't keep running.

I called my local Dealer and was told they cannot get parts for the 2015 450I, has anyone experienced this problem?

Also my emergency brake cable broke at the lever and can't get that either. >:( :(

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 07:58:40 PM »
I called my local Dealer and was told they cannot get parts for the 2015 450I, has anyone experienced this problem?

I've had long wait times, as much as 3 months, that was during the height of covid, other manufacturers were slow as well
I'll find out soon, something started clicking in the front axle during the last snowstorm, soon as the mud dries up a bit, I'll take the plow off and get it to my dealer
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2023, 12:51:14 AM »
Unfortunately folks, I have talked to some other Kymco owners and we might be kina screwed here.  It seems none of the dealers can or are getting any parts out of Taiwan.  Many have been told to scrounge up what they can find as nothing new, as far as parts are comming over.  This really $ucks, and what ever parts people have are gonna go sky high in price.  Keep your fingers crossed !!!!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2023, 06:52:14 PM »
Unfortunately folks, I have talked to some other Kymco owners and we might be kina screwed here.  It seems none of the dealers can or are getting any parts out of Taiwan.  Many have been told to scrounge up what they can find as nothing new, as far as parts are comming over.  This really $ucks, and what ever parts people have are gonna go sky high in price.  Keep your fingers crossed !!!!
"Parts from Taiwan ".....??
In the USA we look to get parts from KYMCOUSA. They are our middle man for Taiwan.
I'll talk to my Kymco dealer here in Ohio and ask if he's having troubles with parts from KYMCOUSA.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2023, 03:20:15 PM »
Ebay has plenty of Kymco ignition switches with keys included. Prices not bad too.
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2004 Mongoose 90 (grandson's)
2010 Grizzly 450

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2023, 11:55:11 PM »
"Parts from Taiwan ".....??
In the USA we look to get parts from KYMCOUSA. They are our middle man for Taiwan.
I'll talk to my Kymco dealer here in Ohio and ask if he's having troubles with parts from KYMCOUSA.
Stig

Ultimetaly they come from Tiawan, Kymcousa is just a middleman. I have had better luck getting stuff from cross country dealers than my local Ohio dealer

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()