Author Topic: my new toy NSR  (Read 292 times)

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
my new toy NSR
« on: February 06, 2023, 12:36:14 AM »
I was debating buying a bandsaw mill, but then I'd need a tractor, and now the proposition gets too expensive for a little backyard milling. So I settled for a new 94cc Husqvarna chainsaw (395XP) and a Granberg Alaskan chainsaw mill. I got 2 sets of rails, so I will be able to make slabs up to 20ft long. and the 36" (outside dimension) mill will let me make slabs up to 34" wide. I have some white pine logs that will test the limits, planning on making some outdoor furniture

RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: my new toy NSR
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 02:08:18 AM »
Cool....I guessed what it was before reading.
How long can you go before sharpenings?....,on pine, maybe a couple of 20' cuts?
Milling then, on your property?, or are you buying timber?
30 yrs with the county, used saws quite a bit. For safety reasons I cut a lot of mature hardwoods at the 120 yr old children's home over the years. After one assignment my 4 man crew felled, cut, moved, split and stacked 71 cords of hardwood for auction. Ran saws until they vapor locked. Since we were in the open, and good ways from rest rooms...one cord was the designated urinal. Pitty customer who won the bid.
Be safe with your new toy🙂
Stig
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 02:16:18 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
Re: my new toy NSR
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 01:48:36 PM »
I got it to salvage some blowdown in my backyard, I had a microburst last summer that took the crowns off a couple of Eastern White Pine, between the 2, I'm estimating that I can salvage a couple thousand feet of lumber, they are big trees, as I previously posted, they will test the limits of the mill.

I'd better get more than a couple 20ft slabs out of a sharpening. I'm gonna take care to get all the bark off, and metal detect the bottom 6 or so feet, I suspect barbed wire fence may be grown into one. If my metal detector sounds off, I will cut that portion off

the new Husqvarna 395XP is a huge saw, 94cc compared to my other Husqvarna 455, only 55cc, and that's not a tiny saw

after I clean up my wind damage, I may cut another pine or 2, I probably have 250k board feet of pine on my 2 acre lot, average size 30" dbh x 150ft tall, big lumber for east coast
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()