Author Topic: filtering in CA - crash  (Read 721 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
filtering in CA - crash
« on: January 11, 2023, 01:20:18 PM »
I see this as 100% bike rider's fault.
Filter at your peril...and no more than a few MPH above traffic speed. Traffic was stopped. He should have been creeping - not flying.
Glad he seems OK - though quickly seems to be fading.
Hope he learned something.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/motorcycle-accident-on-busy-road/vi-AA165aaR?category=foryou

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: filtering in CA - crash
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 01:25:00 PM »
"Do you need a hug?"...  Only in CA!

Not sure I totally agree on that Stig.  Yes the biker was at fault for filtering too fast for him to stop safely - I'd argue that 10 mph less and more observation & he could have, but I'd have to attribute a portion of the blame to the motorist pulling a U-turn in such conditions.  I note also a solid yellow centre line, in the UK that would place 100% of the blame at the driver's feet.

Here in the UK, with the video evidence, even without a solid white line I bet a judge would award damages to the biker, but reduce them by about 50% for contributory negligence.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 01:34:15 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 02:17:38 PM »
"Do you need a hug?"...  Only in CA!

Not sure I totally agree on that Stig.  Yes the biker was at fault for filtering too fast for him to stop safely - I'd argue that 10 mph less and more observation & he could have, but I'd have to attribute a portion of the blame to the motorist pulling a U-turn in such conditions.  I note also a solid yellow centre line, in the UK that would place 100% of the blame at the driver's feet.

Here in the UK, with the video evidence, even without a solid white line I bet a judge would award damages to the biker, but reduce them by about 50% for contributory negligence.
Not a U but a L turn,,,and pretty certain a legal one.
I see this situation frequently. Driver needs to turn L into store/street, etc. TWO lanes of already stopped traffic patiently halts for the car to make their turn safely.
One better use much caution if coming along in a 3rd curb lane...or filtering down the middle!  Traffic is stopped for a reason.
Rider using too much speed for the road situation.
IMHO
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 05:47:26 PM »
biker should have been more careful when filtering through stopped traffic, there's a reason traffic is stopped...but she clearly turned in front of him. You turn in front of someone on a street like that and it's your fault. She has to yield to oncoming traffic.

Watching people filter always makes me nervous...you're making a big assumption that the stopped (or slowed) vehicles are actually looking in their mirrors and paying attention to anyone coming up from behind.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 09:06:10 PM »
She is supposed to see him coming back there in a "that's not a traffic lane" of stopped cars, behind a van?
He's riding blind.

Actually - if he'd been at the proper "no more than 10mph faster that the line of cars" per California recommendation  (they were stopped - see brake lights) he can, and would have, seen her first!

Also - yeah he's acting goofy. Take a blood sample....

Stig

« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 09:08:14 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 10:00:55 PM »
Proper speed for the conditions and surroundings plus a far ahead, big picture view will prevent most (all?) accidents..
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 09:40:53 AM »
Unusual for me to disagree with Neil but the speed of the filtering is the issue here - if he's been doing an appropriate speed he would have easily stopped. I've been in that situation in Derby a number of times.

I hate to back up a driver but there's absolutely no way that car could have been them coming.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2023, 02:25:39 PM »

Also - yeah he's acting goofy. Take a blood sample....

Stig

Yep, I guess the wacky baccy is legal in Cali!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2023, 02:26:48 PM »
Not a U but a L turn,,,and pretty certain a legal one.
I see this situation frequently. Driver needs to turn L into store/street, etc. TWO lanes of already stopped traffic patiently halts for the car to make their turn safely.
One better use much caution if coming along in a 3rd curb lane...or filtering down the middle!  Traffic is stopped for a reason.
Rider using too much speed for the road situation.
IMHO
Stig

My mistake Stig, I can clearly see now that she was making a L turn.  Still stand by everything else I said though.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 02:30:58 PM »
Unusual for me to disagree with Neil but the speed of the filtering is the issue here - if he's been doing an appropriate speed he would have easily stopped. I've been in that situation in Derby a number of times.

I hate to back up a driver but there's absolutely no way that car could have been them coming.

Not sure that you are disagreeing there Viper!  I agree, he was going way too fast and would've stopped in time at even 5-10 mph slower.  The other point I omitted to make earlier was observation, or lack of it on the part of both parties.  Any experienced biker would be wondering why the two lanes of traffic were stationary with a clear road ahead of them and be slowing and covering the brakes already!  The driver was not looking into the gap between the stationary traffic in case anyone was filtering or she would have stopped giving the biker the chance to swerve around the front of her car.

The point I was trying to make was how you might apportion blame here and in my humble opinion, neither party is totally blameless.  The only question left is how much blame each should shoulder.

Having looked again at the footage and Stig's still, I am now inclining towards the bulk of the blame resting with the (spaced out?) rider.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 02:41:17 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2023, 06:13:43 PM »
I did that once, passing stopped traffic on right, I was going to make a right turn at the traffic light ¼ mile ahead, I was only going parking lot speeds, and my wife was riding pillion. As I was passing a large van body truck, that obscured view of oncoming traffic, he left a break for an oncoming minivan to make a left turn into the restaurant parking lot to my right, I first gained view when we were about 10 feet apart, I hit his front bumper at a diagonal as we both came to a stopped, it launched me enuf that my hands landed on his windshield, but I was still standing on pegs, my wife, had a hissy, she didn't even realize we actually made contact, zero damage to my SV650, minivan had a small indentation in the front bumper

I don't filter anymore, but I still frequently pass on double yellows, especially in Vermont, where it's legal, like filtering in CA
RandyO
IBA#9560

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2023, 07:15:34 PM »
Here in CA we call it lane sharing, or white lining. It's at least 50% of why I ride on two wheels. Traffic here is baaad.

An appropriate tombstone for the biker: "I was dead right".
2009 GV 250

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2023, 08:45:28 PM »
An appropriate tombstone for the biker: "I was dead right".

Haha, and Stuo for the Win!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2023, 09:34:42 PM »
Here in Ohio, the bike rider would be cited for not driving in an approved lane.  Riding on the center line between lanes is a no no!

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2023, 08:27:08 AM »
Haha, and Stuo for the Win!

In the UK that’d read “l had right of way!”
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()