Author Topic: [what do you prefer]two stroke vs four stroke  (Read 9638 times)

grantourismo

• View Profile
[what do you prefer]two stroke vs four stroke
« on: November 28, 2010, 12:52:37 PM »
Hey guys
just a thread what you guys or girls prefer over engine type

I personally prefer Two stroke due to the beautiful engine noise
but too bad they re being phased out and no company seem to be willing
developing the super cool direct injection two stroke

leave your comment and personal preference !

ts1

• View Profile
Re: [what do you prefer]two stroke vs four stroke
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 01:55:56 PM »
I prefer (noise, odour) 4 stroke, but wouldn't hesitate driving a 2 stroke.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 02:20:44 PM »
If you're talking about the need to mix oil and gas, plus the added pollution and noise, then it's 4 stroke all the way.

-Wolf

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 03:28:18 PM »
I have always had 4 stroke but I would give 2 stroke a try just because I ride all year and they start easy in the cold better then 4 strokes.I just dont like the idea of running a scoot off of oil and gas.Rideing a scoot is to save a little cash. rideing a 2 stroke you stell have to pay for oil to. Buy that time you can but that much gas in a car.

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 03:56:16 PM »
I have owned several of both and 2 stroke are MUCH more powerful and responsive per cc , so for a 50cc scoot I prefer a 2 stroke . If engine size is not a concern I prefer a 4 stroke .

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 04:00:25 PM »
I have a 4 stroke because that is what I could find in my price range in my area. If the 2 stroke had been available I would have learned to mix the oil if needed, though. I took what I could get. One day though I would like to ride that powerful Super 9S L/C 2t for sure!! :D

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 05:17:02 PM »
Two stroke is my preference -- all else being equal.  There used to be plenty of big displacement two strokes available and, believe me, they were wonderful to ride.  Too bad, not any more. Smooth and extremely powerful!  Some people don't like the fact there is no engine braking with a two stroke but I think it's a plus.  You don't get the diving of the front end when you let off the throttle. 

Once you get the two stroke bug, you start to love all their qualities.

We've discussed the reasons there are no more of the big two strokes here before.  It boils down to political lobbying by HD in the 1970's.   

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 05:34:54 PM »
This pic is from Evans Ward -- a noted Kawasaki enthusiast.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 06:23:42 PM »
Some people don't like the fact there is no engine braking with a two stroke but I think it's a plus.  You don't get the diving of the front end when you let off the throttle.

I did not know that about the engine braking...I bet I would LOVE it! ;D

Wow...I bet I could ride that Kawasaki there in that pic...doesn't look too heavy...

birdmove

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 06:43:51 PM »

Never ridden a two stroke scooter, but had a fair number of two stroke motorcycles over the years. The big Kawasaki 750 ntriple shown a few spots above, was so powerful that they were basically unmanageble. The power was way too much for the chassis and suspension. Kawasaki also had a 500 and 350 version.The 350 that I riode was pretty fast.

Two strokes have a different set of quirks than a four stroke.Generally spark plugs don't last as long.  The ones that have a metering oil pump use a cable to control it.If that cable breaks or seizes, or the pump goes out, then you are running with no lubrication. They tend to eventually plug the exhaust with carbon.The motorcycles had removeable baffles you could take out and clean. When it's time for a cleaning you'd know because the engine wouldn't run well at all.They don't generally get as good of gas mileage as a comparable four stroke.They are generally faster than a four stroke as they fire once every revolution, rather than once every other revolution as a four stroke does.

When the Suzuki X-6 Hustler and the Yamaha RD350 came out, they were humbling much bigger bikes on the streets.Both had six speeds transmissions that really helped too.

Did you know that there were large diesel two stroke engines used in freight hauling trucks?Set up properly they were absolute screamers.Engines were made by Detroit Diesel, and were used in trucks,marine applications, and generators.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 06:49:29 PM »
Did you know that there were large diesel two stroke engines used in freight hauling trucks?Set up properly they were absolute screamers.Engines were made by Detroit Diesel, and were used in trucks,marine applications, and generators.

WooHooooo! I did not know that...but if I had... I would have HAD to drive one! :D

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 07:10:44 PM »
I started riding on a two stroke which was a '75 Kawasaki KE 100. Just under 200 lbs., it was a good beginner's bike, but loved to foul plugs and what was called "load up" on hills causing the engine to quit running. Next was a two stroke '76 Suzuki GT380, with none of the typical two stoke problems. It was good on plugs, had an oil injector and would rev like nuts. Downside was adjusting three sets of points since it was a triple. I wish I still had it but four strokes rule the day.

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 08:13:59 PM »
I ride a 4T, but would like to get into the 2T realm next scoot.  That Aprilia Ditech direct injection engine sounds like it is incredible, runs fast and clean because it is so efficient.

Hope other manufactures were follow suit.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 09:13:31 PM »
Yes, let's hope KYMCO will be competitive.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 11:14:03 PM »
  Some people don't like the fact there is no engine braking with a two stroke but I think it's a plus.  You don't get the diving of the front end when you let off the throttle. 

This is a prejudice that originates from old 2 stroke engines with old construction, that also had pre-mix oil and gasoline mixture.
In that case, using engine braking would cause premature wear due to inadequate lubrication of the engine during engine braking.
Almost all bikes in the past 20 years do not use pre-mix but have separate gasoline and oil tanks.

Internal friction of the engine enables engine braking and, ceteris paribus, it is determined by engine's compression ratio.
Usually Kymco's small 2 stroke engines have compression 1:7-1:8 while small 4 stroke engines have 1:8-1:9.

So, they will pretty much engine brake the same, regardless of 2 or 4 stroke composition of the engine.
Whoever drove 2 and 4 stroke motorcycles can from experience notice the same.

If you are from USA, I think you did not have 2 stroke cars in the past.
In Europe we had just a few (usually from the Eastern block) and they had special system that allowed the driver to use or not engine braking for short periods of time, in order to prevent engine damage (all such cars were pre-mix at the time, I am referring to East German Wartburg and Trabant cars).
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()