Author Topic: Starter motor alternative for kimco like200i cheap  (Read 979 times)

Airfiberoptics

• View Profile
Starter motor alternative for kimco like200i cheap
« on: November 14, 2022, 08:51:51 PM »
The following cheap amazon $19 starter motor
Worked perfect for my like200i, all measurements are exactly the same for mounting, except the wire post will be on the way but if you are handy and swap the body case of the motor  the gold color part from your okd starter it will give you the correct angle for your positive wire. Just make sure to put a vise on the tip(9 teeth part) so that everything  stay in place. As long as the magnets attacged inside your old starter casing look good, just clean them andbit will work. Here is the link but you can google Glixal GY6 150cc starter motor for scooter moped atv go cart.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B098NKZZVC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Roads by TJ

• View Profile
Re: Starter motor alternative for kimco like200i cheap
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 12:30:08 AM »
I had come across that issue before and sent it back as I was not sure I could do a swap without messing things up. The way you explain it gives me the confidence top do it should I ever be in that situation again. I was too chicken to try it. lol

Keep it safe out there on those two wheels.
TJ

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 02:06:41 AM »
I was not sure I could do a swap without messing things up.

Good point! If anyone has photos of this procedure, it would be a great help to others who need to do this.  It's not very clear in Airfiberoptics' post exactly what he was doing, and photos are ever so useful!

Roads by TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 02:31:02 AM »
It's been while since I last posted on this thread, but things changed. I have since replaced a couple of these starters by now, and it's quite easy. Not just because I've done it but that I relaxed, and realized I couldn't mess up. I didn't take pictures unfortunately. You will need to take the under seat compartment, and access the starter from there. Side lower side panel will need to be taken off as well. This will give you the access you need to remove, replace the starter. Rather crude instructions I know, but hope it helps.
TJ

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 11:34:19 AM »
It's been while since I last posted on this thread, but things changed. I have since replaced a couple of these starters by now, and it's quite easy. Not just because I've done it but that I relaxed, and realized I couldn't mess up. I didn't take pictures unfortunately. You will need to take the under seat compartment, and access the starter from there. Side lower side panel will need to be taken off as well. This will give you the access you need to remove, replace the starter. Rather crude instructions I know, but hope it helps.
So, you've replaced "a couple of starters" because they don't last very long .....or because you have been replacing starters on a couple of other people's Kymco LIKE's? You're doing LIKE repairs?.....
Do you live outside of N. America?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 07:54:50 PM »
@Roads by TJ,  just for clarification....
You changed whole starter motors or swapped starter motors casings and its magnets?
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

KymcoRockr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 10:52:03 PM »
I don't see the point of buying the cheapest part you can find, then taking it apart so  you can make it work. You can buy a high quality starter motor for about $40 and be done with it.
Been riding for a very long time.
AK550
Yager 200

Airfiberoptics

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 08:01:25 PM »
Good point, sorry for sharing this info, some how I imagined it could  help someone, will may be deleting my post if I can. Please provide links of your $40 starter so others can benefit. Have a blessed one.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 08:12:20 PM »
Good point, sorry for sharing this info, some how I imagined it could  help someone, will may be deleting my post if I can. Please provide links of your $40 starter so others can benefit. Have a blessed one.
It is always interesting to find new sources to keep our "Pride and Joy" roadworthy.
Cheap means not always less value, particularely here in Italy (Europe), where we feel and see prices going up for spareparts, the customers and we don't want to pay.

KymcoRockr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2023, 12:49:35 AM »
You can buy a Kymco factory quality starter motor made for the Like 200 from one of the top Italian scooter parts companies (RMS 246390140) for $40, bolt it in and call it a day,  or you can buy the cheapest Chinese factory second POS starter motor you can find on Amazon that doesn't quite fit, take it apart and put it in the old starter case, and save $20.
Tough decision.
Been riding for a very long time.
AK550
Yager 200

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2023, 02:54:50 PM »
@KymcoRockr, good hint.
RMS I know, order sometimes from them, but POS as a company is unknown to me here in Italy.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2023, 12:21:22 AM »
Ruffus, POS is English slang for 'piece of sh*t'
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2023, 12:36:03 PM »

Hawk, thanks for that.  I'd like to think English is my mother tongue, but that piece of slang had passed me by too!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2023, 09:26:38 PM »
Txs hawk, I knew. Even we Italians have kind of humor.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2023, 07:59:44 AM »
Txs hawk, I knew. Even we Italians have kind of humor.

😂🤣
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()