Author Topic: Couple of Quannon questions from new forum member  (Read 3776 times)

birdmove

• View Profile
Couple of Quannon questions from new forum member
« on: November 15, 2010, 07:45:49 AM »
  A dealer not far from me has a couple of Quannon 150s for sale at a very giood price.  I'm thinking about picking one up.I live in western Washington State now. We'll be moving to the Big Island on Hawaii in 1-2 years.We bought a house there recently in the Puna area.I'm thinking this bike might be a good one for me to have on the island.I'm 57 years old and have ridden motorcycles for almost 50 years.I have owned about 25 bikes in that time.

For use on the Big Island there are a few important things to me.

1.The bike should be reliable.There is a dealer on the island in Kona, but Kona is about a five hour round trip.I can easily do oil changes and would do my own maintenance and valve adjustmets.I've heard good things about Kymco products.

2.Good gas mileage is important, since gas is always a lot more on the islands.I'm quite sure the 150 would get great gas mileage.What are some of you getting?

3.Range is pretty important, but I see the Quannon has a big tank.Just wondering how far some of you are getting before you go on reserve?

4.Cruising speed.The top speed limits on the island are pretty much 50mph for all the riding I would do. Can the 150 maintain that speed?

5.We were at our place for nine days early this month and drove to Kona.I stopped in at the dealer and had a look and liked the bike.I got to sit on one and it felt comfortable to me.

6. I have always loved riding, and still enjoy riding smaller bikes and big ones too.

I can buy this bike in Seattle for about $1000 less than in Kona, and would then have to eventually ship it over .

Anyway, for this purpose, I am considering this motorcycle or a scooter.

Thanks for any comments on these points.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa.

TomJ

• View Profile
Re: Couple of Quannon questions from new forum member
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 12:40:42 PM »
1. I own the 125 for about a year now. Rode some 4k during that period. Thus far it hasn't given me any trouble at all. The only thing i had was the headlight suddenly stopped working. Turned out the connector vibrated of the bulb feet. Easely fixed (just squeezed it a little with a pair of pliers)

Bear in mind though, the standard tyres on it (some taiwanese brand) are really crap. They wear out fast but do not provide the grip you'd expect from a soft tyre. Especially when cornering at steep angles, the rear tends to break out. I'll be trying a couple of bridgestones next time round.

2. I really don't know what my quannon uses. Simply never cared about any of my past motorcycles about that. All i know is... its not a lot ;D

3. I'm not sure it has a reserve :o Never checked it It does however have a clear fuel indicator in the dash. Just fill her up when you've reached the last block of its display.

4. I can maintain 50 and more all day on the 125 which has slightly less power than the 150 you're looking for. Obviously when wind and steep angle roadclimbs do have a negative influence. Last weekend i took it for a trip with a friend sitting on the back and we could maintain 55 all the way. ( had to downshift at times though ).

5. Like yourself i've owned quite a number of motorcycles prior to this little gem. The last one was a honda cbr1100xx. I was amazed by the fact how 'at home' the seating position of the quannon felt. I think kymco nailed this one spot on!

6. Same here. When i migrated to spain there was no use for my over 160bhp bike anymore. The mountainroads overhere are very curvy and anything over 50bhp is just... well, overkill really. Nowadays i think its more fun to be able to constantly push the quannon to its limits rather than driving on eggs on a big bike. -I do miss the brute force though- ;)

Good luck mate!

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 03:14:06 PM »
I would buy a vehicle that has a dealer closer than the next island.
For maximum reliability, I would consider Honda.  They have a new PCX 125.

If you have 2 years before moving, there is time to buy a scooter and evaluate it's parameters before you move.

I don't see any scooters with a fuel reserve.  They all have gas gauges that I see.

Our next scooter will have larger wheels as a primary consideration.

Scoot Safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 03:16:19 PM »

6. Same here. When i migrated to spain there was no use for my over 160bhp bike anymore. The mountainroads overhere are very curvy and anything over 50bhp is just... well, overkill really.

Good luck mate!

No such thing as too much power. :)
However, once 130-150 hp bike becomes too slow, most people should re-evaluate their priorities and at least get a better life insurance... :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

TomJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 11:58:28 PM »
No such thing as too much power. :)

Im sure you're just kidding. But just in case.. There's defenitely a point where power turns into overkill. Unless you believe standing in a traffic jam in a ferrari makes perfectly good sense  ;D

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 12:10:02 PM »
Im sure you're just kidding. But just in case.. There's defenitely a point where power turns into overkill. Unless you believe standing in a traffic jam in a ferrari makes perfectly good sense  ;D

I am not kidding.
Power can be controlled, lack of power can not. :)

p.s. Standing in a traffic jam in a Ferrari makes PERFECT sense to me. :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()