Author Topic: Winter Customization Project  (Read 3553 times)

Monoplex

• View Profile
Winter Customization Project
« on: November 14, 2010, 02:34:11 AM »
One of the great things about living in the Midwest is that we can customize our scoots for five months per year without missing any riding time. :) I know people in warmer-weather area are likely jealous and I hope they'll understand I don't mean to be rubbing it in.

So here's the winter projects:

1) Recover the seat with tan material. *Done*  Looks really good against the red
2) powder-coat the wheels, transmission cover, muffler cover, and passenger pegs to match the seat
3) switch out the grips to ones matching the seat
4) change the three reflectors on the fender into LED lights
5) reactivate the factory front turn signals
6) remove the handlebar turn signals and put in LED driving lights
7) replace the rear shocks with Bitubos
--
Wishes
1) get whitewall tires
2) mount an air horn
3) calibrate the speedometer

I'd like to ask people for any suggestions they may have for projects, ideas on getting the "wishes" done, or things I'm planning to do that just aren't good ideas. Also, if you've done a customization project, I'd lover to hear about it!

Monoplex

• View Profile
Re: Winter Customization Project
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 12:30:23 AM »
In order to allow the mounting of Ram Mount into the mirrors (One for a GPS, one for an iPhone), I'm going to switch to bar-end mirrors. The trick is going be to find them wide enough, retro styled, and durable. So carbon fiber is out! :)

I'll let you know what I find and get some pictures up as I visit the dealership where the scooter is in for winter storage.

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 05:55:37 PM »
Looks like you've got a pretty good to-do list there.  Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

mrrmutt

• People 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 02:25:54 AM »
I was going to put on a bar end mirror on my 04 Ppl150 and found that it didn't have a hollow handle bar but rather a a piece welded in that was threaded to receive the bar end. The bar end mirror I had was the kind that expands to fit a hollow handle bar. I could have made something work but chose not to. Check to see what you have before you buy a set of mirrors.

Also, while I didn't opt for air horn, I've mounted twin (high and low) truck horns inside the legshield. they fit great right by the factory signals, bolting into the outside of the glovebox.

I put LED side markers where the fork reflectors were.

Good luck with your project, I look forward to photos.  Will post photos of mine as I get closer to finished with new paint.
www.scootswla.wordpress.com  --   cause every scooterist needs a scooter blog

scooterchad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 05:05:16 PM »
any progress on your mods?

Monoplex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 01:11:35 AM »
The powdercoating of the wheels, transmission cover, and muffler shield are done. The finish of the wheels made the color have a little more orange peel than I'd like but otherwise it came out fine.

The body panels are so cheap, I bought a tan front panel to give the bike contrast. In the light of the service area, it seemed O.K.

The LED marker lights really mounted cleanly, give the scoot some well-needed visibility, and draw almost no power.

RAM mounts for the GPS and iPhone are on.

Shocks are on.
--
Pending: A brighter headlight is being put in. The LED driving lights and windshield have been put on hold due to some unexpected expenses. Color-matched brake hoses will likely be a next-season project.
--
Dead-ends: Whitewall tires just don't exist in People's tire size. Caliper upgrades aren't out there. There's no way to fix the speedometer.
--
Next season: The scooter goes to Scooterworks Chicago for some badly needed engine hop-up work. Or I just buy a used maxi-scooter. See you on the road!

scooterchad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 05:05:25 PM »
Please upload some pics...

scooterchad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 04:09:35 PM »
I'm also considering recovering my seat with a Tan or Brown. Wondering what type of advice you can give me.

badboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 05:12:06 AM »
wheres the pictures???

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()