Author Topic: Replaced brake lever on Like 200i  (Read 562 times)

bxc

• View Profile
Replaced brake lever on Like 200i
« on: April 28, 2022, 05:06:43 AM »
Hey folks - just figured I'd try to give back to this community. So my wife's Like 200i came with a right brake lever that was very bent because of a tipover from the previous owner. I ordered the replacement from Racing Planet USA for about $12 and went to work on replacing it.

Based on reading Cyclepedia and other posts online, I thought I had to remove the cowl fairing to access the lever bolts. I learned how to do that with a plastic dough scraper. But in the end I found out this step was unnecessary and the process is much simpler.

All you really have to remove is the mirror. That gives you access to the hole where you can see the 10mm bolt holding your brake lever. To reach it you can either use a 1/4 inch drive 10mm socket with an extender or you can use a 10mm spark plug socket. (I used the latter.) For the bottom lock nut under the bolt you can use a 10mm box wrench. These tools are all included in a standard Craftsmen tool set from Sears.

Remove the bottom nut first and then remove the bolt. To install the new lever, hold it in place to align the holes. Then insert your 10mm bolt into your socket and carefully lower the bolt back into the hole. (This can take a few tries.) hand tighten first then use your socket wrench to finish tightening. Then use your finger to hold the lock nut with your 10mm box wrench and carefully screw that onto the bolt. Then replace the mirror. Done!

Working in cramped spaces like this takes some practice but it's a great skill to have! Happy wrenching, friends.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Replaced brake lever on Like 200i
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 11:40:21 AM »
Hey thanks for your post. Bent brake lever is one of the most common problems. Good to know we can replace those without having to split the plastic, which is always a little tricky. Thanks again for your post.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 09:59:10 AM »

To reach it you can either use a 1/4 inch drive 10mm socket with an extender or you can use a 10mm spark plug socket. (I used the latter.) For the bottom lock nut under the bolt you can use a 10mm box wrench. These tools are all included in a standard Craftsmen tool set from Sears.

Working in cramped spaces like this takes some practice but it's a great skill to have! Happy wrenching, friends.

A 10mm socket?  And it's still in the toolbox?  This is unheard of!   ;D
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

kymcolou

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 03:17:23 AM »
Resurrecting this...I have a broken left breaker lever that I want to replace.  This is perfect news!!  Gonna try it as I do not want to take the chance of cracking my plastic.  Thank you for sharing... 🙂

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 02:28:47 PM »
A 10mm socket?  And it's still in the toolbox?  This is unheard of!   ;D

Neil, haha, so true! I recently found out you can buy entire socket sets of just 10 mm! 1/4 and 3/8 drive, short and deep, regular and impact...who knew?? It might take a bit longer to lose all of those..
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2023, 09:18:17 AM »
Neil, haha, so true! I recently found out you can buy entire socket sets of just 10 mm! 1/4 and 3/8 drive, short and deep, regular and impact...who knew?? It might take a bit longer to lose all of those..

Nice one Hawk!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()