Author Topic: Running rich  (Read 857 times)

Macswinford

• View Profile
Running rich
« on: April 07, 2022, 03:19:40 AM »
I bought and refurbished a tired 2004 Kymco People 150 with 18,000 miles as a winter project. Surprisingly, the carb was new, but I removed and disassembled anyway. It was clean inside. The scooter starts and runs well when cold, but gets a rough idle and runs very rich mixture when warm. It does accelerate strong so the engine is fundamentally sound. 
I sprayed starting fluid on the vacuum hoses looking for a leak but nothing happened. Next up is checking the float level. Because it rather suddenly starts running rough, should I suspect the auto bystarter might be bad?
Any suggestions on what next?
Thanks
Mac
Mac
2004 People 150
2010 Honda NT700V
Retired geologist
Columbus, Ohio USA

lbmcconnell

• View Profile
Re: Running rich
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 01:44:33 PM »
Well if it was like mine and sat for a long time with gas in the carb :"I should know better" the whole bowl assembly needed to be degummed and cleared out making sure that air would pass.  Also may want to check on YouTube for some instructional for proper idle adjustment.   Who knows maybe the previous owner had vacuum lines connected in the wrong place.  May check my thread just posted.

Macswinford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 03:15:22 AM »
Cleaned carb 5 times. Finally, it's running properly. I replaced the fuel line. I thought the fuel line might be breaking down internally and sending crud into the carb. After that upgrade, It's behaving now. I am taking it on a 80  mile trip in the country tomorrow. Wish me luck. It's sort of a jack ass challenge
Mac
2004 People 150
2010 Honda NT700V
Retired geologist
Columbus, Ohio USA

Macswinford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 06:58:45 PM »
I completed the 85 mile journey on the People 150 on the central Ohio back roads without any mechanical issues. It was really fun. Today, I decorated the scoot with tempera paints for the local memorial day parade which I rode the scoot in as a candy hauler. No issues whatsoever.
Maybe the old fuel line was the issue. Something to consider.
Mac
2004 People 150
2010 Honda NT700V
Retired geologist
Columbus, Ohio USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 08:53:10 PM »
I completed the 85 mile journey on the People 150 on the central Ohio back roads without any mechanical issues. It was really fun. Today, I decorated the scoot with tempera paints for the local memorial day parade which I rode the scoot in as a candy hauler. No issues whatsoever.
Maybe the old fuel line was the issue. Something to consider.

Photos ?!!

You know, "85 miles" roundtrip from Columbus could get you to YellowSprings, and back?
You get over that way I could introduce you to Bryan (the brown one) just outside the village!

Anyway - glad you got it sorted!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 05:52:15 AM »
The scooter starts and runs well when cold, but gets a rough idle and runs very rich mixture when warm.
Just a last idea to offer: It shouldn't run rich when warm. These scoots have electric chokes which change the mixture.  As the engine warms, the e-choke leans the mixture as the needle closes, after maybe 5 minutes.  The motor runs noticeable different after the needle closes.  If it doesn't run right when the choke closes, you can adjust the (hot) mixture by changing the main jet.  It's not a difficult procedure.

Macswinford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 08:56:22 PM »
Stig, that is a good looking scooter. I might journey to Yellow Springs someday.
Mac
2004 People 150
2010 Honda NT700V
Retired geologist
Columbus, Ohio USA

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()