Author Topic: Storing bike in house?  (Read 472 times)

Togger

• View Profile
Storing bike in house?
« on: December 08, 2021, 01:22:27 AM »
Anyone store a bike in their home or condo? Is it dangerous. I'm thinking of doing it from December to  February.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Storing bike in house?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 01:45:07 AM »
I was thinking about this the other day….and how if there were no other people living in my house (cough, cough) I’d love to look at my motorcycle in my living room all Winter!

I know some will question the fire hazard of having gasoline in there…and they may have a point…but back in my time in the car business the new car showroom was packed full of cars with gasoline in their tanks…never had a problem…and think of all the car dealerships everywhere with cars inside..

I would keep it lower on gas…and make sure there are no fluid drips..and then park the beauty in a place of prominence in your house!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 09:50:14 AM »
@Togger, don't worry about having your ride in your apartement. A friend of mine had his NSU  Fox to carry until the fifth (5) floor in an ancient Vienna building. And, there was NO elevator.
Just take fuel out completely, let it air out. Put some absorbing material like cat-litter beneath until you know it's diaperfree.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 04:52:53 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Fogie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 01:46:16 PM »
Many years ago, I kept a Bultaco Matador in my living room for several winters. During the Christmas season, I decorated it with lights.
2012 Kymco Frost (Yager) 200i - Toronto, Canada

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 04:33:35 PM »
@Togger, don't worry about having your ride in your apartement. A friend of mine had his NSU  Fox to carry until the fifth (5) floor in an ancient Vienna building. And, there were NO elevator.
Just take fuel out completely, let it air out. Put some absorbing material like cat-litter beneath until you know it's diaperfree.
You just reminded me of my NSU Fox that I rode in the '50s Wish I had it now.
Like 150i ABS

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 08:30:11 PM »
I use to keep my YZ 490 in the basement,  never had a issue. Bikes and Scooters sit in showrooms with fuel in them.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 03:01:18 AM »
 ::) ::) ::)
Some of you don't take you scooter in the house?
I'm calling the SSPCS!!!!!

True story (yeah, sad I have to clarify it)...I sold my 2000 Anniversary blue GL1500 to a guy that lives about 40 miles from me. He was frantic after we made the deal, afraid I would sell it to someone else while waiting for his money transfer (required 3 days). My reassurances matter not. 1 week after he picked up the bike, he shows up at my work. Security called and I cleared him through. He parks at a side entrance and had his wife as pillion. He was just profusely thanking me. He had added several more farkles.
My co-workers watched in amazement. I turned to look his wife in the eyes and asked "Is it bad as it looks?" She replied yes.
I said "I guess he now knows that it won't fit through the doors?". She burst out laughing so hard and he turned red.
She replied "Yes, he knows, after measuring it multiple times. But he still tried to twist and turn it everyway he could to force it!!!!"

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 08:11:11 PM »
I once stored a 500cc Moto Guzzi in my living room and despite draining the tank the smell of gasoline still lingered. Since then I saw a demonstration given by a fire marshal where he drained a gas can, scrubbed it with soap and water, then lit a match and POOF! There were still fumes present!

My two cents: Don't do it.
2009 GV 250

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 10:32:23 PM »
I once stored a 500cc Moto Guzzi in my living room and despite draining the tank the smell of gasoline still lingered. Since then I saw a demonstration given by a fire marshal where he drained a gas can, scrubbed it with soap and water, then lit a match and POOF! There were still fumes present!

My two cents: Don't do it.

Or maybe use the match before bringing it inside?  :o
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2021, 01:07:56 AM »
I know several people who have brought bikes into the home, from a harley guy that completely tore his down and rebuilt it in the living room, to a friend that displays his bike (ducati of some sort) in his living room on end stands, polished so brightly yer afraid to even breath on it, the in spring when salt gets washed off the roads, it moves to his garage
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()