Author Topic: NEED HELP!! 2013 MXU 500i  (Read 307 times)

MEaves93

• View Profile
NEED HELP!! 2013 MXU 500i
« on: November 27, 2021, 02:24:00 PM »
It’s probably has already been discussed but I haven’t figured out how to look up topics yet so bare with me…I’m wondering if someone could help me with an issue I’m having. 2013 MXU 500i. Went to start it one day and all it would do was click when I hit the start button. After testing the battery it read a little low so I bought a new one, installed it, Same thing again . So I thought maybe the starter locked up so I removed the starter and bench tested it and it engaged like it was supposed to done some more testing and realized the starter solenoid under the seat was bad . So I ordered one online (not Kymco brand) just a universal one and it’s still doing the same exact thing as it was before..But when I try and jump the solinod with a screwdriver like I’ve done to other ones in the past I don’t get a spark or anything. Is it possible that the universal solenoid I bought is bad or maybe it has to be a Kymco brand or do I have something else going on ?? Also I will add when I tried to install the plug into the relay backwards It tried to turn the starter over but blew the fuse. I’m stumped at this point any help would be appreciated . This thing is setup alot different than my Sportsman and it’s got me pulling my hair out! TIA

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: NEED HELP!! 2013 MXU 500i
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 08:05:40 PM »
It’s probably has already been discussed but I haven’t figured out how to look up topics yet so bare with me…I’m wondering if someone could help me with an issue I’m having. 2013 MXU 500i. Went to start it one day and all it would do was click when I hit the start button. After testing the battery it read a little low so I bought a new one, installed it, Same thing again . So I thought maybe the starter locked up so I removed the starter and bench tested it and it engaged like it was supposed to done some more testing and realized the starter solenoid under the seat was bad . So I ordered one online (not Kymco brand) just a universal one and it’s still doing the same exact thing as it was before..But when I try and jump the solinod with a screwdriver like I’ve done to other ones in the past I don’t get a spark or anything. Is it possible that the universal solenoid I bought is bad or maybe it has to be a Kymco brand or do I have something else going on ?? Also I will add when I tried to install the plug into the relay backwards It tried to turn the starter over but blew the fuse. I’m stumped at this point any help would be appreciated . This thing is setup alot different than my Sportsman and it’s got me pulling my hair out! TIA
Shorting the big, high current posts on a start relay is the time tested method for verifying the starter working showing the cables from the battery to the starter and the ground circuit for both the starter and battery are good. Not getting a spark (assuming the starter was in the machine) tells the circuit is incomplete.

Your original problem is in the fat red wires from battery positive to relay to starter and/or ground wires/straps from battery negative to frame ground to engine.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()