Author Topic: Another nice day for a ride in Iowa  (Read 8848 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Another nice day for a ride in Iowa
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2022, 06:27:23 PM »

...must be my 12% Limey rearing it's head, because I also can't figure out what "grabbing a few tags " means in Amerikan  either. Having a few beers?, Buying shirts with 'tags'?, something to do with GPS?...which I don't got... or need. Haven't been lost since I left S.E. Asia.
?

A mystery, this....
But fun.
I'm betting it has something to do with buying trousers.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2022, 08:16:51 PM »
Oh common. You must be kidding.

Motorcycle tag? Either you all are pulling my leg or leading a very sheltered life. ;)
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2022, 12:30:55 AM »

Motorcycle tag? Either you all are pulling my leg or leading a very sheltered life. ;)
So, nothing to do with 👖?
IBD!
Sister Mary-Major Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2022, 01:16:48 PM »

No Rob it was a genuine Q on my part.  I know you have licensing tags on your bikes over there, but what is meant by "grabbing a few"?!!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2022, 04:03:29 PM »
No Rob it was a genuine Q on my part.  I know you have licensing tags on your bikes over there, but what is meant by "grabbing a few"?!!

Actually I am not surprised about that. The motorcycle tag games are not as common in Europe as here. The best way to explain it is to link to the first post of one of the games I am involved with on the ADV rider forum:
https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/scooter-tag-an-excuse-to-ride.972287/
And another on Maxi-Scoots.com
http://maxi-scoots.com/scoot/index.php?topic=106.0

The rules of the games are in the first post. The picture posted in the ADV rider scooter tag has an error so it doesn't show but other pics should show up for you.
Basically it's just a riding game... a reason to get out and ride no matter how close or how far.
Find a location to take a photo with your scooter included and post that as the tag. Can be any location as long as it's something not too difficult for others to find since it is, after all, to promote getting out and riding. Then someone else finds a location like that tag and "grabs" it by taking a picture with their scooter included and posts that before anyone else does... followed by posting another picture for the new tag.

Kind of like the kids tag game... but not.

The rules differ from one game to another as indicated in the links above, but the premise is always the same.

On the ST-Owners forum there are tag games in every state as well as in several countries in Europe and elsewhere. There is also an ABC tag game where the idea is simply to take a photo including your scooter/motorcycle with the name of a city that is next in the alphabet. So if I post a picture of a water tower, or town hall, or simply a city sign post of a town or city named Chester then you could post the next tag for a city named Delamere (since D follows C). And so on. When that alphabet is completed you start all over at "A". If there is no town with the next letter than that may be skipped to keep the game moving along. In the ABC tag game there is no need to grab the current tag before posting the new tag.

In almost all tag games I've played in the picture you take for grabbing the posted current tag must be one you took after that tag was posted. IOW, if I post a picture for a tag then you must ride out after that to take a new picture of that tag and post it. But the picture that you would post for the next tag can be one you've had on file or a new photo as you desire.

Like I said... it's about having a reason to get out and ride. Although I don't always have to have a reason to ride but sometimes it is interesting to ride to some location I might not ride to otherwise.
/bob

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2022, 08:16:41 AM »
Ah! Now all becomes clear Rob and we do have something similar run by the PEMC* over here, it’s called Carpe Diem. It’s UK-wide list of monuments, points of interest etc., where you can ride out & collect them.

* Professional & Executive Motorcyclists’ Club https://pemc.co.uk/
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2022, 12:48:26 PM »
So much for March coming in like a lamb!

It did for a very short time. A few very nice days near 60F. And then the wind blew... hard. A few tornadoes Saturday evening with one being EF4 and a total now of 7 dead and many injured with much property damage and homes or businesses lost. The big one was on the ground for over 160 miles and passed just 10 miles south of me.

Then last night the snow fell. Woke up to 3.5+ inches of heavy white stuff all over. Not really wet but definitely not dry powder. All the schools announced a 2 hour delay. 5 inches at the metro airport about 8 miles away as the crow flies.

Not such a nice day for a ride in Iowa.
Just came in from "riding" my other 2 wheeler to blow off the white stuff from the driveway and sidewalks before my wife took the 4 wheeler out to pack it down. Temps started out near 20F and will get up to the mid 30sF today. Expecting refreeze tonight and then mid 40sF tomorrow. More snow, just as much if not more, coming Wednesday night into Thursday.

This is not entirely unusual to get snow in March. Just doesn't happen every year and was hoping with being a milder winter this season that it would be a milder March. Wrong!

The lamb was devoured by the lion!

Maybe the lamb will have her revenge at the end of the month?

I am based in Ankeny Ia and bought myself a Honda Silverwing 600 two weeks ago. Due to the weather in Iowa I could not take it for a ride yet. Due to work obligations most of the time
 I am not even close to the scooter to take it for a ride.
So for the time being I am just dreaming and hoping winter will be gone soon...

By the way - on the Saturday night there was a tornado just south of Ankeny as well. I just arrived back at home about two hours before the tornado and I was quite tired. The tornado alarm went off and there was a warning on Tv to get shelter somewhere. I was too tired to find shelter though - just had n glimpse at which direction the tornado was going, went straight to bed, and covered my head with a blanket.
Next morning when I woke up I thought maybe it was good just to cover my head with a blanket...
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2022, 02:47:57 PM »
Scooterfan, hey, great to hear you found a new scooter! Big jump up in cc's, too.

Get ready for more tornados in the coming months. That's one of the negatives to living in the Midwest...tornados in Spring and Summer. Although I think in December we had more tornados in Iowa in a single day than on any other day in recorded history. Crazy.

You'll have to let us know what you think of the Silverwing once you get it on the road (with pictures, of course).

Hope you are enjoying living in the Ankeny / Des Moines area.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2022, 06:47:38 PM »
@scooterfan,
There were a lot of tornadoes that weren't mentioned much about on that day. I saw them on the weather maps of the storm tracks. At least I saw all the markers for sightings of them.

The closest I was ever to the path of a tornado was when we had just moved into a new house in Dubuque, IA when I was 15. That twister ran down the street one block away and took the roof off the house at the end of that cul du sac. Our builder lived just next to that house. He was at our house finishing up the bottom seal on the garage door and I mentioned about how green the sky was and he cursed and burned rubber on his truck to get home before it hit. Said he when he was struggling to get to his door he had to lean so far over he could almost touch his nose to the pavement and was crawling. A minute later the neighbors who lost their roof barged into his house seeking shelter.

You should be able to ride today or any evening this week. Even next weekend is supposed to be around 68F or higher and no rain. As Iahawk mentioned there was plenty of rain before the last snow fall so anything on the roads was washed off. They did put more treatment down for that last snowfall last week but that's all washed off now as well.

Have fun on your SW.
/bob

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2022, 09:05:54 PM »
@Rjs987,

Thanks, I surely will enjoy the scoot. Still need to get my permanent license - my South African license was only valid for 3 months in Iowa and at the moment I am just sitting with a leaners. I've booked myself for a riders course next month, to my understanding a riders course softens DOT's hearts to issue licenses.

As for tornados - those things are indeed very scary. Just the possibility of seeing one in real life is quite frightening. I travel a lot so I guess I might have a few scary moments in future.
Anyway, I will not rely on just covering my head with a blanket in future.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2022, 09:54:32 PM »
@Rjs987,

Thanks, I surely will enjoy the scoot. Still need to get my permanent license - my South African license was only valid for 3 months in Iowa and at the moment I am just sitting with a leaners. I've booked myself for a riders course next month, to my understanding a riders course softens DOT's hearts to issue licenses.

As for tornados - those things are indeed very scary. Just the possibility of seeing one in real life is quite frightening. I travel a lot so I guess I might have a few scary moments in future.
Scooterfan,
In Ohio if you passed the two-day Riders course you've just qualified for your motorcycle endorsement license. You do not have to take a separate test with the state of Ohio.
And yes after spending two days with them your instructors are pretty friendly.
Hondas are the best 👌....
Good for you!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2022, 11:10:21 PM »
@Rjs987,

IN Iowa the riders course satisfies the riding part of getting the license AS LONG AS your birthday is not the same as the date the department picks for requiring the riding test anyway. At least that's how it used to be.
/bob

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2022, 11:16:59 PM »
Stig,

Yup, I really like the Honda but I will never forget the good times on the Kymco.

I hope to forward some photos of the Honda during the next weekend. At the moment I am sitting about 600 miles from home in Kentucky.

The DOT people in Iowa are quite friendly too. Unfortunately I need to go back to them after the course and there is quite a long waiting list to get an appointment date.
I just hope to get an appointment soon. Just spoke to my wife and she told me about the lovely weather in Ankeny today.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2022, 08:58:45 PM »
Just a little ride to REI and then Lowe's to get a MSR fuel bottle and also a calibrated measuring bucket so I can test how much gas my AK fuel tank actually holds. There seems to be a bit of controversy on that so I'll be siphoning my tank to drain it so as not to tax the fuel pump and then carefully refilling it with this bucket.

Took me 34 miles to get to REI, another 1.6 miles to Lowe's, then 1.4 miles to home. A total 37 miles all the way from when I left home until I returned home. OK, I took the long way to get there... again. Stopped for a pic along the way. Weather is getting better. Sunny and near 50F.

/bob

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2022, 09:25:36 PM »
Went riding today. Needed to get some groceries so added a few miles onto the 4 mile round trip to the store. Ended up with 49 miles.
I actually did stop and take a really nice picture but my camera messed up the file for some reason and the SD card was blank. I know I saw the file there right after taking the pic but it was gone when I got home. Oh, well. Maybe later.

My helmet has an integral sun visor so I don't need to wear sun glasses when it's sunny out. But the next helmet I'm thinking about getting doesn't have the sun visor so this ride I decided to use my sun glasses instead of the visor just to see how they work out. Worked well, but it will be a few years before I need a new helmet and don't need to be spending the $$ now for an extra one. I like to keep options in mind just in case something happens before I think I'll need it.
/bob

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()