Author Topic: Headlight fault  (Read 477 times)

Komatsu Will

• View Profile
Headlight fault
« on: October 28, 2021, 05:42:47 PM »
Hi all I have a kymco super 8 50 2t. It has developed a fault with the headlights. I found some info on here but not sure if the problem I have is the same. When I switch the headlights on they come on but dim as usual. When I rev the engine they go bright then go off. If I switch them off then on they come back on until I rev then they go bright then go off.  The main beam does the same . So far I have tested the battery with engine off and got 12.8v then with engine running about 13.8v. There is no spike in power when I rev the engine. I tested the output at the bulb plug and got 13.8v when it's revved and it stays like that so I assume it's because the multi meter is not putting any load on. I have read about the headlight control unit failing .Any thoughts? I also read it is possible to do away with the unit and replace it with relays. Is that possible and if so can anyone tell me where to find any info on the parts needed. Of course it could be something else wrong so any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any help
Best wishes Will.

CelticKnyt

• View Profile
Re: Headlight fault
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 07:18:58 PM »
Not sure about how to fix your problem specifically, but if it is a USA scooter, you can get full model specific part number lists with exploded diagrams at http://kyps.kymco.com/kyglobal/F001D.do?trackReset=true&endusermode=true&uname=KYMCOUSA_EndUser

Komatsu Will

• View Profile
Re: Headlight fault
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 05:44:49 PM »
Hi it's Will thanks for your reply. I found a post regarding bypassing the headlamp control unit by unplugging it and bridging the wires. I did this and the lights are working fine so I think the unit is faulty. It works fine so I don't see much point in spending £60 on a new unit.
Thanks for your help hopfu?ly my experience might help someone else.  Oh my bike is a European spec I believe this modification can't be done on some other country specs.
Best wishes Will

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()