Author Topic: Agility 125 electric start button does nothing, can kickstart but dies unless th  (Read 1936 times)

Frustratednoob

• View Profile
As I tried to express in the subject line: my kymco agility 125 is having issues .  It sat for multiple months, then when I tried to start it the starter sounded like it was getting weaker and weaker with each try until now nothing happens at all when I press button.  Kill switch is in correct position, key turned to on, holding brake.

So I began trying to kickstart it which isn't easy, and when I do get it to start, it will run as long as I'm giving it some throttle; but as soon as I let off the motor dies again.  This makes it unusable for transportation.  I replaced the air filter, charged the battery, checked fuses visually, and read manual multiple times. 

As my name suggests I'm inexperienced in troubleshooting machinery so more experienced users may become impatient with my post but I can't help that.  Also I am a noob to forums.  Please consider this when reading and replying.  I am however, intelligent beyond average and can learn fairly quickly; so at least theres that.

Can anyone please advise what my next actions should be in context to troubleshooting and fixing my scooter.  Thanks

BDC

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
ok, let's start with the basics....what year is the scoot and how many miles on it?

When your battery first died on you...was it because you hit the starter button over and over until the battery died?

How long was the scoot sitting when you tried to start it? Carbureted scooters don't like sitting for long periods of time. The gas can get bad and the pilot (slow speed) jet on your carb can easily get clogged.

You'll typically want to start with fresh gas, a clean carb and a fully charged battery.

Have you opened the airbox to check on the air filter to make sure it's not clogged or there is a mouse nest in there?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
I'm going to assume that the scooter was running before it was left to sit?

Since cleaning or replacing a carb is a non-starter for many riders - let's try some other (much simpler) things first..
Try removing as much of the old gas as possible and adding fresh gas (premium! ?) and something like Seafoam or Shell Techron to the tank.
Get it running whatever way you can and keep it running while your fresh gas/mixture works to remove crud from your carb. You may have to repeat this for a couple of days....giving the Seafoam time to remove some crud.
Yeah, repeated electric starter attemps on an ailing scooter will only run down you battery.
Let us know if this helps.
(Hawk, I suspect that you and Ruffus would rather dismantle carbs than eat 😊- but not everyone finds such joy in that kinda pass time)
Stig
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 12:26:09 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
(Hawk, I suspect that you and Ruffus would rather dismantle carbs than eat 😊- but not everyone finds such joy in that kinda pass time)
Stig

Stig, you're right! I'm rubbing my  hands together with a semi evil grin...just itching to pull that little carb and remove the float bowl to do some cleaning and checking those jets!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Maybe a carb nut lives nearby...a Kymco carb nut would be best but any carb nut should do....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Ruffus

• View Profile
@Stig, yes you hit it again.
Since this carb probs are so frequent, it's really good to open and flush it with whatever availaible. Preferable carb cleaner, but any kind of "petroleum" will do. It's not rocket science. Bit of thinking what and where....
@..noob, no reason to be frustrated.
If you want to do a carb service, just ask and alot of people will help you.
A first step could be to drain your carb (pls see pics) this might remove most of gunk from your floating bowl. Don't take this screw completelyout, there is a little o- ring on it, which could be lost.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 05:26:12 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Frustratednoob

• View Profile
First let me thank everyone who has replied. 

I wi try to answer all the questions I saw...well at least the ones I know the answer to.  I'll have to look when I get home to answer what year it is, but my guess is early 2000s. 

It was running fine b4 sitting. 

The battery seemed to die due to trying starter repeatedly.

I will try to find where the carb or "floating bowel" (sounds like what I had after last year's leftover turkey ). 

I have 2 problems. Idk if they are related or seperate.
1) starter doesn't even try to crank

2) when I kickstart it will only run of I hold throttle continuously.

The scooter wasn't parked for too too long, but I will try the sea foam and fresh gas 91.

Oh and someone asked about air filter.  I just replaced the air filter prior to trying it right before original post. 

Thanks again. I will keep updating and if anyone has any input or lives near Bakersfield CA maybe they could help

Frustratednoob

• View Profile
I don't know how to do anything with a carb or even what or where the carb is.  I saw the pics but I can't tell what I'm looking at . Did you take off the whole plastic body on urs or the seat or something? Mine looks nothing like that

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
we may have a few different problems..you said your starter does not crank now when pushing the start button, even with a fully charged battery? i assume you put it on a battery charger or tender to charge it? How did you verify it was fully charged?  If it doesn't crank then we may have a loose connection or a dirty ground wire..

A far as the carburetor..get on youtube and do a search for 'scooter carburetor clean' or 'cleaning gy6 carb'...most all scooters are set up in a very similar way. The engine location and carb location are almost universal, as is the function of a scooter carb.

Watch a few videos and you'll soon get a feel for where the carb is, how it goes together and how to clean.

A carb is nothing more than a simple device that mixes air and gas in the proper ratio so that it burns in your engine. The carb 'float bowl' is a little bowl under the carb that fills with gas..very similar in function to the tank on your toilet.

Gas passes through some very narrow passages in a carb (think human hair width..a little bigger, but you get the idea). These passages can clog very easily if a scoot sits for a while while not running. Old gas clogs passages up quicklly.

We'll get you back on the road again...just keep giving us info and trying what we suggest!

2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Ruffus' top picture the carb is that circular thing in the dead center of the picture. The float bowl is directly below that circular thing.

By the way, you gonna fit right in here with that "floating bowel" comment!

His bottom picture is of the float bowl and that screw head with crossed slots is the way you can drain the float bowl. Access to all that is by removing the seat and the storage tub underneath.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
You can also check the Petcock valve by disconnecting the line linked to the suction side of the carb, and disconnecting the fuel supply line to the carborettor.
Just suck slightly on the loose line previously connected to the suction side of the carb by mouth, and see whether fuel is running freely from the loose fuel line previously connected to the carb while you are sucking.
Some dirt could be stuck in the petcock valve, or the petcock diapfram could be faulty.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Frustratednoob

• View Profile
I agree with the user who said there might be more than 1 problem....

The starter button does absolutely nothing now.  When I was trying to start it, it kept sounding weaker nd weaker so I just assumed it was the battery.  But now when I charge the battery with the trickle charger, it does eventually show that the battery is charged.  The charger has 3 lights : one that shows it's charging, one that shows it's charged, and an error light.  That is the only way I'm verifying it's charged.  I do think I took the battery down to a shop and they said the battery is still good.

I notice when I press the left handed brake , there is no longer a clicking sound which I assumed meant it's unlocking the starter.  The right hand brake does make this sound however.

I have checked the fuses visually and tightened the connections to the fuses.  Nothing.

I did add some fuel system cleaner.  I will try opening some of those parts for cleaning that were reommended.  I will try to follow all advice, except  not sucking on any tubes.  With my lwvwl of knowledge and ability to identify parts, there's too big a risk I'm gonna get something up in my mouth. 

How am I gonna clean the carb or float bowl?  Rag, brush, carb cleaners?

Frustratednoob

• View Profile
Looking again at the 2 pics, the bottom pic I can't tell where that is in the top pic.  I see no parts that have those 2 lines  coming down the metal to a screw hole like I see in the second pic

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
you have to have one of the two brake levers pulled in for the starter button to activate the starter. have you tried squeezing both brake levers while hitting the starter button?

Ruffus's pic was of a carb bowl drain line..it comes out of the bottom of the carb bowl. i think the second pic was taken from the side view. All carb bowls have a drain tube coming out of the bowl. You loosen the screw, which drains the fuel out of the bowl and down the drain hose to the ground. Then you tighten the drain screw so you don't lose fuel after that.

Some drain screws face up and others face to the side. i'm not sure if that pic was from an Agility 125 or not.

Spend 30 minutes watching some youtube vids about cleaning scooter carbs...you'll come away with a much better understanding of all this.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Ruffus

• View Profile
This carb which is shown in pics below is from an LIKE 125 and should be pretty much the same as yours.
Before you start to dissasamble take a small mirror and a lamp and locate all parts within your motor compartement. Particularely now your carb.

There are three jets on this carb, one from outside to be turned (airmix jet), and two more inside your item, accessable from the bottom, fuel bowl off. Slit.
This jet outside  is to be screwed out 2 1/2 turns for basic adjustment.
Not to be confused with the drain screw at your fuel bowl (bowel).

Mainjet: 7mm body
Idlejet: slit screwdriver

All this jets out and soaked in carb cleaner, vinegar, petroleum or whatever seems to solve residues.
Be careful.not to enlarge jets openings.
No steelwire to be used.

Carb body itself has fine tubings inside, one or more might be blocket. Pressure air through all of them.
Work clean not to clog them again.

This black diaphragm is delicate and to be checked for perforations. IF there is a hole (hold against light and pull tenderly) has to be renewed.
Only together with this piston available.
Take time to clean and checking.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 06:43:37 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()