Author Topic: Typical Newbie ...  (Read 972 times)

The Doctor

• View Profile
Typical Newbie ...
« on: August 27, 2021, 03:23:05 AM »
Just purchased a 2018 Kymco 200i with 500 miles on it - took it straight to a dealer to have the recall done & its first oil change (need to check which oil they used), & then rode it on several Freeways during the middle of a very hot Los Angeles day.

Started to run better, I used 91 Octane.

Are they typically this slow? I have owned a couple of Chinese Junks & several Aprilia & the latter were whole different machine - all speed, stopping & handling.

I purchased this to deliver marketing flyers for my Practice every now & again. Plus for fun but I would like more oomph & the Service Manager warned me "do not put a big bore kit in it, you will have nothing but problems ..."

Any suggestions & Thank You - I love Forums where people help each other ...
50 plus years of riding many bikes but my interest here is a near new used 2018 200i which ran like a Dog but now is improving every tank of gas & AIR PRESSURE corrected ...

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Typical Newbie ...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 05:12:56 AM »
Great scoot you just bought and welcome to the forum. Are you looking for faster acceleration or higher top speed?  You won’t get them both..but going with slightly lighter sliders will give you better acceleration..heavier sliders will give you more top speed (in theory).

If the scoot is really too slow for you the only way to get satisfactory speed is to buy a scoot with a bigger motor.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 09:09:10 AM »
What's the speed you get?  I'd expect about 65 mph to be a realistic top end?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 11:33:32 AM »
Your weight is a factor for maybe 6 mph.
Expect indicated top speed @62>67mph in a tuck.
Running flat out on LA freeways (which is a little crazy IMHO on this scooter) ....probably a good idea to do very frequent oil changes. (like 800 miles)
"Recall " ...tighten the fuel line clamp..yes?
You need a bigger scooter/motorcycle to be safe out there on LA freeways....unless they are always slow and clogged?
It is a great scooter otherwise.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

The Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 02:29:16 PM »
I may have solved part of the issue - I rode it directly from the previous owners house 11 miles to the nearest dealership who gave it her first oil change - I knew riding it hard on the freeway on the first 500 miles of oil (it was never changed), might screw it up.

I asked them to do one other thing; check the air pressure but apparently they didn't.

The bike has performed better because of better, fresher gas.

BUT not until a tank later did I check the  tires myself (went to 3 gas stations previous & the air pumps were down - bad area of LA & lots of trucks going to & from the ports), & found they did NOT ADD AIR!

Low air pressure.

It's like going in for Cardiac Surgery,* & everyone leaves after the successful Bypass but fails to wake the patient ...

*I am a Physiologist, NOT an MD

The oil change was $165 with Tax & the guy fails to check the air pressure - it was worth the $165 to not  blow the motor, get the recall done at the same time & have Peace of Mind (not easy on the 91, 110 & 405 Freeways).

Plus the more Tanks of better gas I use, it seems to run better.

I didn't want a bigger bike, I have an Aprilia Scarabeo 250 & 500 & a BMW650GT - I needed a little bike like this for the flyer delivery & it is running better now.

Will report back in a few days.

And yes, while running like a Dog, on a Major Freeway, it adds a whole new level of excitement & makes me feel like I am in a Motorcross race - riding for over 50 years now & Smiling - I don't do Drugs, I rode on LA Freeways...

THANK YOU EVERYONE!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 02:34:53 PM by The Doctor »
50 plus years of riding many bikes but my interest here is a near new used 2018 200i which ran like a Dog but now is improving every tank of gas & AIR PRESSURE corrected ...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 02:40:32 PM »
Shoot Doc,
I'd have changed your oil for only $150! (Say, if an oil chsnges is $165, how much does two tacos cost in LA these days?...in 1967 I could get a bag of 5 or 6 for $1 in Pasadena )

Must go look up what a fizziologist is.....
Stig
And, yeah low air in the tires will slow a body down.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

The Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 06:20:59 PM »
Shoot Doc,
I'd have changed your oil for only $150! (Say, if an oil chsnges is $165, how much does two tacos cost in LA these days?...in 1967 I could get a bag of 5 or 6 for $1 in Pasadena )

Must go look up what a fizziologist is.....
Stig
And, yeah low air in the tires will slow a body down.

You come to Los Angeles & I will buy you all the Tacos you want - the Bill from Bell Moto was $152 but worth it - a lot cheaper than blowing an engine on a used bike with no previous service - and I know that a Man like you Stig wouldn't forget to check the Air but you & I work for ourselves, we are not Employees

The Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 06:28:26 PM »
Thank you Everyone!

There are a number of threads on here answering some of these questions but lots of controversy - its almost September 2021, any modern answers?

Would you recommend using Synthetic Oil?

And if so, what brand & viscosity?

Battery upgrades? I haven't checked this battery but I am sure the previous owner put in the cheapest, nastiest battery possible - I am interested in the best AGM like I have in my RV

Change to an Irridium plug or not? If so, which one?

And I wanted the little bike because I will attach a Carrier/Loading Ramp system to my Towing Hitch on the RV & carry the Scooter behind.

Anyone buy any quality, aftermarket Bluetooth speakers that work? - ear buds are too dangerous for me.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 08:25:27 PM »
Engine oil : Shell Rotella 15/40 T4 (or 5/40 T6 in cold climes)....at less than a Qt. and being aircooled I change frequently (less than 1000 miles)

Spark plug: NGK Iridium CR7EIX (7385), found that this plug strengthens my idle  (which is nice when sitting in massive stopped traffic)
Denso makes one, too - but found that my idle preferred the NGK

Battery: YUASA > YTZ14S (or YTZ12S....1/2lb lighter than the 14 Ah) both will fit & replace the orig. 8Ah or9Ah battery by trimming 5mm off of the posts on underside of battery cover. (use a hacksaw or a steak knife to trim)

Is a 14Ah battery overkill? Nah, not when you want good starts 35 miles from home on a 15°F day. The EFI loves a healthy battery!

Stig

« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 09:17:20 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2021, 09:44:59 PM »
you looking for trouble? Asking whether to go with synthetic or not?

Honestly you'll get all kinds of answers. I've used both and prefer synthetic but with the very short oil change intervals it really doesn't make much, if any, difference. Whatever makes you feel better is the way to go. Our resident almost king of high miles, John Grinsel, has used walmart house brand non-synthetic super tech for half a million miles with zero problems.

I feel the biggest benefits from synthetic come from cold flowability and long oil change intervals (neither of which apply to a scooter, especially one without an oil filter). That being said, I still mostly use synthetic.

As for blue tooth speakers?..I started using a Cardo bluetooth com unit with speakers that mount in the ear holes in your helmet. I also wear ear plugs at all times. while this combination may seem odd I can still hear everything I need to hear while riding plus the benefit of music at a low volume, too.

I've also used both iridium and standard plug...and honestly I don't feel any difference. The iridium will last longer, though...but I've never put enough miles on a scooter to wear out a plug!

Make sure your drive belt/rollers/ variator and clutch are operating as they should be...air in the tires...fresh fluids and filters...and enjoy the scoot.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

The Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 12:27:42 AM »
Thank you everyone  -  I am also a firm believer in installing the best battery money will buy, especially when you cannot kick or jump* start these.

*I am 58, the amount of cars, trucks, tractors & bikes I have jump started in 2nd gear in 50 years is more than 500.

I didn't realise our units don't have an Oil Filter?

1000 miles sounds right for California also.

Bike is running stronger & stronger, I guess with the combination of Bad Gas & Low Air I felt like a Bug about to become a Bug on a Truck Radiator yesterday

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2021, 01:07:12 PM »
I didn't realise our units don't have an Oil Filter?

No oil filter in these motors, just an 'oil screen' that would catch big chunks of metal but not much else. It is recommended the screen be cleaned at each oil change but like many others, I've never found anything in my oil screen.

No oil filter is the main reason for the short oil change intervals.

2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2021, 02:16:53 PM »
 Top end in mine has always been around 58-60 mph. At 500 miles on yours, I wouldn't do that too often. Let it break in. It will smooth out around 1k miles. I have always read, that it is best to let the motor break before changing to synthetic oil. 
 Freeway riding the Like can be sketchy. Poor road conditions and our wonderful so cal drivers can be a deciding factor. I have only ridden on the freeways with my Like on Sunday mornings. That was when I was on the way to a scooter meet up, or during the lockdown when everyone was hiding in their homes.
 Based on your freeway choices, I assume you are in the south bay. If you are interested in group rides, check out the South Bay Scooter Club, Long Beach Scooter Club, or Long Beach Area Scooter Group. There are a couple of Likes in those groups.
Good luck with your new ride.
Steve

Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

The Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2021, 01:27:00 AM »
No oil filter in these motors, just an 'oil screen' that would catch big chunks of metal but not much else. It is recommended the screen be cleaned at each oil change but like many others, I've never found anything in my oil screen.

No oil filter is the main reason for the short oil change intervals.

On the invoice it stated "oil filter change", probably the same Dick who forgot to put Air in the tires ...

The Doctor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2021, 01:30:16 AM »
Top end in mine has always been around 58-60 mph. At 500 miles on yours, I wouldn't do that too often. Let it break in. It will smooth out around 1k miles. I have always read, that it is best to let the motor break before changing to synthetic oil. 
 Freeway riding the Like can be sketchy. Poor road conditions and our wonderful so cal drivers can be a deciding factor. I have only ridden on the freeways with my Like on Sunday mornings. That was when I was on the way to a scooter meet up, or during the lockdown when everyone was hiding in their homes.
 Based on your freeway choices, I assume you are in the south bay. If you are interested in group rides, check out the South Bay Scooter Club, Long Beach Scooter Club, or Long Beach Area Scooter Group. There are a couple of Likes in those groups.
Good luck with your new ride.
Steve

Thank you Steve - I am used to traveling between 150-200mph on my big bikes so a little freeway drama was enjoyable  - especially now its running & riding better - when I saw LIDOCA I was thinking "this guy hails from Lido Peninsula where I used to work a lot ..."

I rarely if ever ride with others but when I do, I always pass them ...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()