Author Topic: Just bought Agility 50cc 2006 and want to restrict it back to 30mph  (Read 1638 times)

martinhedges

• View Profile
Hi,

Apologies if this is a newbie question but just bought a 2006 Agility 50cc which is unrestricted and I want to restrict it back to 30mph as it is for my son when he turns 16 in afew months and at least to start with want him only to be able to go 30 mpg.  Is it just a case of getting a standard ECU and pluggin back in as it does look like the one in there is non-standard.

Or is there a way to modify the one in there to restrict it?  I have seen on ebay there is a variable one.  WOuld that be one I can switch between restricted and unrestricted mode?

Finally, I have found a second hand standard ecu which has May 2012 date on it.  Would that work in a 2006 Model?

Thanks

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Just bought Agility 50cc 2006 and want to restrict it back to 30mph
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 07:32:14 PM »
Probably a good idea to get it fully serviced at a Kymco dealer before giving a 15 yr old scooter to your child to ride on the street.
At the service desk you can also talk to them about having it restricted.

Stig

« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 07:34:25 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 11:07:02 PM »
Cheapest de-restriction would likely have been installation of a smooth drive boss.  Have you checked to see if this has been replaced?

martinhedges

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 09:35:51 AM »
Cheapest de-restriction would likely have been installation of a smooth drive boss.  Have you checked to see if this has been replaced?

No I haven't.  The bike does circa 45 mph.  The ECU looks like it is original part from the part number on it but it is taped up with insulating tape so looks like it has been tinkered with.  To check the drive boss is that a case of taking the side casing off?  WHat should it look like?

BIke starts and rides well.  ISsue with the headlights but that seems to be down to the rectifier / regulator.

Would a smooth drive boss give it the sort of speed I am seeing?

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 04:29:37 AM »

is there a way to modify the one in there to restrict it?  I have seen on ebay there is a variable one.  WOuld that be one I can switch between restricted and unrestricted mode?

Finally, I have found a second hand standard ecu which has May 2012 date on it.  Would that work in a 2006 Model?

The variable CDI isn't what you're looking for.  It varies timing only and has unrestricted rpm.  You need a stock CDI which is normally restricted to about 7,000 rpm.  CDIs are cheap and easy to experiment with.  Buy several and try them out!

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 12:57:09 PM »
No I haven't.  The bike does circa 45 mph.  The ECU looks like it is original part from the part number on it but it is taped up with insulating tape so looks like it has been tinkered with.  To check the drive boss is that a case of taking the side casing off?  WHat should it look like?

BIke starts and rides well.  ISsue with the headlights but that seems to be down to the rectifier / regulator.

Would a smooth drive boss give it the sort of speed I am seeing?
Replacement of a smooth boss would likely not restrict the scooter enough to  drop top speed from 45 mph to the desired 30 mph.  There is more going on here. 

martinhedges

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 05:45:31 PM »
Replacement of a smooth boss would likely not restrict the scooter enough to  drop top speed from 45 mph to the desired 30 mph.  There is more going on here.

I will have a look at the drive boss.  How much extra mph would a modded ecu give?  The one in there looks like it is an original one but it is taped up suggesting it has been tampered with.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2021, 06:02:19 PM »
I will have a look at the drive boss.  How much extra mph would a modded ecu give?  The one in there looks like it is an original one but it is taped up suggesting it has been tampered with.
Yeah, they cut a wire (s) to derestrict them.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

martinhedges

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2021, 08:32:57 PM »
Yeah, they cut a wire (s) to derestrict them.
Stig

So if I reconnect that wire it should revert the ECU side of things at least even if it doesnt take it back to 30mph?

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2021, 08:00:18 AM »
So if I reconnect that wire it should revert the ECU side of things at least even if it doesnt take it back to 30mph?
No.  You won't be able to reconnect the wire.  If you see a CDI with the cut wire, you will understand.  It's much easier to just buy a new CDI, they're cheap.  Buy some different makes.  They're all different and have quirky personalities.  Don't mix up AC and DC units.  The wrong one will blow your fuses.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()