Author Topic: I'm TSA "Compliant"!  (Read 754 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
I'm TSA "Compliant"!
« on: July 07, 2021, 06:50:37 PM »
Daughter and I went to the DMV to apply for our TSA Compliant Driver's License.
Local DMV = always an adventure!
I gathered documents from sock drawers and file cabinets all morning - in preparation to meet all the documentation necessary to prove that neither of us are terrorists (though I DO ride a scooter), and are indeed  card carrying Moon Pie'rs. ('Americans')

My birth certificate caused the agents to huddle, and make phone calls:

"CHILD BORN ABROAD OF AMERICAN PARENT OR PARENTS"
98TH GENERAL HOSPITAL, MUNICH, GERMANY
7280TH AIR BASE GROUP
LANDSBERG, GERMANY

Signed, Vice Consul, John K.....
February 11, 194?....('long time ago')

I showed 'em two Moon Pie wrappers....and they let me go...with my new "Compliant" license/ID  :)

Daughter: "good thing they don't give you seniors a hearing check!"
I said: "glad they didn't test my vision!"

Stig

Landsberg was the prison in which Hitler penned his "I'm gone with the wind"
We vacated the German family from their nice 2 story house - and lived in it (US Army gave them 2 hours to leave -- tough go when you lose a world war) ....just across the RR tracks from the prison.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 07:51:36 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: I'm TSA "Compliant"!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 06:55:01 PM »
I had to make 3 trips to the DMV after wanting more information.  After all that they told me  I was already compliant because of my passport, go figure.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 09:42:27 PM »
What, pray tell, is "TSA compliant?" And why is it necessary?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 09:59:54 PM »
What, pray tell, is "TSA compliant?" And why is it necessary?

Ya what is it   do I need it to cross the border from canada

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 10:09:18 PM »
It's also known as a (enhanced license ) and airlines will require it to be able to fly. It was supposed to already be in effect but was delayed because of covid. To cross into Canada a Passport will work  just fine.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 11:06:18 PM »
I routinely fly for my job and it is something that will now be required to have by March of 2023 in order to fly on US airlines. Something additional on your driver's license.  I believe it was originally supposed to take effect last Fall?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 11:12:23 PM »
Yes, without it you can't board a commercial airliner.....
Crazy that a licence with a photo is no longer enough.
But whatever makes it harder for crazies to board is OK with me.
Women have to document each name change.
..so must show marriage documents.
Stig
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 11:16:27 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 01:06:12 AM »
I routinely fly for my job and it is something that will now be required to have by March of 2023 in order to fly on US airlines. Something additional on your driver's license.  I believe it was originally supposed to take effect last Fall?
No problem for me! I have not flown in anything but one sailplane once since I quit flying for a living in 1994 and especially refuse to even consider flying anywhere on any airline anytime...ever. i especially refuse to be subject to TSA policies and procedures....ever....More power to all of you for having the patience and, well, the faith. Not me. Not anymore.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 02:30:00 AM »
No problem for me! I have not flown in anything but one sailplane once since I quit flying for a living in 1994 and especially refuse to even consider flying anywhere on any airline anytime...ever. i especially refuse to be subject to TSA policies and procedures....ever....More power to all of you for having the patience and, well, the faith. Not me. Not anymore.
Don't hold back Crossbolt tell us how you really feel.  ;)

I compare commercial air lines to human cattle cars.  Fights, lines, delayed flights, crowds and first class is what coach use to be.  Now that I'm retired I choose to drive . Besides could you see me pushing a Kymco scooter down the aisle, LOL

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 03:43:07 AM »
With the proper documentation support you get a gold star on your license!

Reminds me of Kindergarten or preschool... for my kids and grand kids. I don't remember mine. I'm too old to remember.

My wife replaced her license 2 years ago and got her gold star. I don't have to replace mine for another year... still in time before I really HAVE to have it. My wife also has her "trusted flyer" TSA number. Something I haven't needed yet since it seems when I fly WITH her it applies to me as well. We don't fly much though. I much prefer to drive.

Being retired military it used to be enough for me to carry my Mil ID card to cross the border and visit other countries, including Europe. Now that Mil ID is not enough and I have to have the gold star (soon) AND a passport to visit other countries. What's next? A permission slip from the governor or President?!?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 03:44:45 AM by rjs987 »
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 06:30:53 AM »
With the proper documentation support you get a gold star on your license!

Reminds me of Kindergarten or preschool... for my kids and grand kids. I don't remember mine. I'm too old to remember.

My wife replaced her license 2 years ago and got her gold star. I don't have to replace mine for another year... still in time before I really HAVE to have it. My wife also has her "trusted flyer" TSA number. Something I haven't needed yet since it seems when I fly WITH her it applies to me as well. We don't fly much though. I much prefer to drive.

Being retired military it used to be enough for me to carry my Mil ID card to cross the border and visit other countries, including Europe. Now that Mil ID is not enough and I have to have the gold star (soon) AND a passport to visit other countries. What's next? A permission slip from the governor or President?!?
Are Z papers in Z order. 

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 08:40:17 AM »
I think it took my wife less documentation to prove her antecedents and secure her Maltese passport!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2021, 10:24:23 AM »
TSA compliant means that your driver's license is accepted as valid identification by TSA agents when you go through the security checkpoint at an airport for domestic flights.  Stig, you should know better.  In Ohio, we have the BMV, not DMV.  Anyway, I got my TSA compliant license in Ohio back in  late 2018 when they first started being offered.  Had to take my passport, social security card, certified birth certificate, and a couple of other pieces of documentation when I renewed my license back then.  I was issued a piece of paper to carry with my old license since all the paperwork for the compliant license had to go to Columbus (Ohio's state capital) for processing.  I got my TSA compliant license - with its special logo - about ten days later.  I've used it several times while flying, and it does beat having to carry my passport when going through security.  The compliant license cannot be used when crossing borders, and cannot be used on international flights.

Jeff

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2021, 10:53:21 AM »
TSA compliant means that your driver's license is accepted as valid identification by TSA agents when you go through the security checkpoint at an airport for domestic flights.  Stig, you should know better.  In Ohio, we have the BMV, not DMV.  Anyway, I got my TSA compliant license in Ohio back in  late 2018 when they first started being offered.  Had to take my passport, social security card, certified birth certificate, and a couple of other pieces of documentation when I renewed my license back then.  I was issued a piece of paper to carry with my old license since all the paperwork for the compliant license had to go to Columbus (Ohio's state capital) for processing.  I got my TSA compliant license - with its special logo - about ten days later.  I've used it several times while flying, and it does beat having to carry my passport when going through security.  The compliant license cannot be used when crossing borders, and cannot be used on international flights.

Jeff
Spot on.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2021, 11:08:56 AM »
Don't hold back Crossbolt tell us how you really feel.  ;)

I compare commercial air lines to human cattle cars.  Fights, lines, delayed flights, crowds and first class is what coach use to be.  Now that I'm retired I choose to drive . Besides could you see me pushing a Kymco scooter down the aisle, LOL
That's the spirit! My short stint with the airlines was near the end of the era of dignity. It was a grand way to travel but deteriorating. The push to be on the first page of the computer bookings sites produced impossible flight times with passengers having to dash in the terminals to connect. Many times connecting was impossible the time was so short. Maintenance was pushed aside by scheduling to the point that flight crews had to be the ones to FORCE the maintenance to be accomplished.

Rotating schedules never allowed realistic rest/sleep times. All were in compliance with Fed Air Regulations but were cleverly designed to interfere with proper rest. It is scary to realize the flight crews were "worn out" all the time.

Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()