Author Topic: Like clutch  (Read 470 times)

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
Like clutch
« on: July 05, 2021, 08:55:06 PM »
  I started having problems from a dead stop where the bike would feel like it was dragging and no pick up. I originally thought it might be the electrical gremlins returning. I realized it was the clutch hanging up.
 I replaced the original clutch as a test with an aftermarket gy6 Ebay clutch on a recommendation by an inmate here a few years ago. It seemed like it had a heavier spring and definitely larger pads. Although, I had to scuff them up more frequently than the original, the clutch worked well.
 Well now Its acting up. I removed it and inspected it. Springs are good, surface could use a cleaning but otherwise seemed ok. It seemed to be hanging up on the pivot points of the pads. ( I don't know the correct term).
 Anyway, I had bought an OEM replacement at the same time I bought the Ebay clutch. Replaced clutch and no more problems.
The $35.00 clutch lasted for 5k miles. Not too good, but the OEM was $95.00. We will see. The LX has 15k miles at this time. Still cruising.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Like clutch
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 10:42:12 PM »
Good for you!
Was your new Kymco clutch easy to 'open' when installing the belt into it?
Mine was a bear to open - so I took it apart and lubed things.
Been working great.
I probably could have rebuilt the original clutch - fooling & testing with new aftermarket springs...but had a new KYMCO clutch in the drawer since 2013. Figured I'd better use it.
I may purchase another while they're still around.

Was thinking during my ride today that I'm running on that Yamaha motorcycle fuel pump (since 2014), and have a practically new OEM injector, fuel pump and coil w/wire in the drawer from 2014 when I tried to home-fix the failed TPS.

Let us old LIKE riders know how your LIKE  is doing!
I'm at nearly 19,000.
Stig

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 10:44:38 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

latham480

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 02:58:11 AM »
okay i got a great deal on my like 200i 2017. 5k clean for $1100. grabbed it thinking A. gy6 motor.. B. upgrades available every where. C it was a REAL 200cc motor.  But really its fun to ride 240lb does 60mph and gets 76 to 81mpg.
Cant say anything wrong with its performance. I just jumped fast at my oppurtunity... is their any performance upgrades for clutch? gearing? and has anyone found a decent cup holder??
I think my clutch is weak and I just would rather have one ready or replace it before anything. the tires I just replaced im in AZ and the few 118 day, days we had "cupped my tires from the heat and the scooter had sat awhile. all done easy.  Clutch ??? performance or OEM? and where? where can you buy parts? and they have many 200i listed but most are not the like series. Im confused.

anyway thanks
Its a 2017 like 200i ...(163cc) please feel free to email me. or send me to another forum... I saw that this guy tried a GY6 replacement and I was on that same path...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 01:20:29 PM »
okay i got a great deal on my like 200i 2017. 5k clean for $1100. grabbed it thinking A. gy6 motor.. B. upgrades available every where. C it was a REAL 200cc motor.  But really its fun to ride 240lb does 60mph and gets 76 to 81mpg.
Cant say anything wrong with its performance. I just jumped fast at my oppurtunity... is their any performance upgrades for clutch? gearing? and has anyone found a decent cup holder??
I think my clutch is weak and I just would rather have one ready or replace it before anything. the tires I just replaced im in AZ and the few 118 day, days we had "cupped my tires from the heat and the scooter had sat awhile. all done easy.  Clutch ??? performance or OEM? and where? where can you buy parts? and they have many 200i listed but most are not the like series. Im confused.

anyway thanks
Its a 2017 like 200i ...(163cc) please feel free to email me. or send me to another forum... I saw that this guy tried a GY6 replacement and I was on that same path...
For KYMCO parts
https://www.solanocycle.com/

The LIKE200i is EFI - which is probably not going to be happy with 'upgrades' . You can buy a generic 'aftermarket' exhaust (fits Sear's mowers though Ducati's) if you want more noise. Cone air filters if you want more noise. Better horn if you want more noise. LED bulbs for better lights.
Biggest improvement you can make is to replace the tires with better tires. (Michelin, Pirelli, Metzeler, Continental, etc.)

I'd stick with a stock KYMCO clutch, belts, brake pads, filter and an Iridium NGK plug.. They are robust, very good quality - and last a very long time.
At less than a Qt. and air-cooled, mine gets freq. oil changes.
You can move the rev band around with DrPulley sliders - many do.

BTW - if it is a LIKE200i ---there have been no changes through the years - except paint colors. First models and latest models share everything! KYMCO got it right....from the get-go.
Stig
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 01:31:07 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 01:38:50 PM »
@latham480,
did some testing and writeup in that matter.
( pls see link)
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=30655.msg215843#msg215843

KYMCO developer did a pretty thorough job during their engineering process, but if you have some time and money to spend, have a try on Malossi, Leonvince or any other so called tuning or performance company. Lots of LIKE owner stick to their original OEM parts, mostly for lack of tools, skills, space, etc.
Like l said, do a customizing on your LIKE, you will experience  a change if you mount performance items.
But they have to match, and there it comes to the crossroad where people think, if I put a MALOSSI CVT in, my LIKE will fly. No, your clutch spring has to be changed too, as well as your weights...belt too.
But it's worth to tinker and having a good time.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 05:14:24 PM »
The only upgrade that I have done was the change to DR. Pulley sliders instead of stock rollers. Every thing else is OEM. Kymco parts are durable and engineered for the application. Oh yes you might want to replace stock spark plug with an NGK Iridium for smoother idle and durability.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 09:15:19 PM »
The only upgrade that I have done was the change to DR. Pulley sliders instead of stock rollers. Every thing else is OEM. Kymco parts are durable and engineered for the application. Oh yes you might want to replace stock spark plug with an NGK Iridium for smoother idle and durability.
+1

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()