Author Topic: Grand Dink 150, restoration started  (Read 1334 times)

Ruffus

• View Profile
Grand Dink 150, restoration started
« on: June 30, 2021, 08:22:18 AM »
Dear fellow addicts,
like I wrote recently, bought a pretty neglected Grand Dink 150, MY 2003, 33.000 km, carburator fuelled, to tinker at.
Tires were 10 yrs old, rockhard, so to be nenewed with METZELER M7 TEEN rubbers.
@Stig, pls don't cry, tires brought to the shop, old off, new on, disposal of old ones, and one tire balanced, cost €20,- (twenty).+tip €5,-
Since the wheel carrier was off anyway, a new bearing and oilseals were mounted.
(pls see pics)
There is a snapring, which's purpose is to restrict the bearings seating, need NOT to be removed for changing the bearing. Heat and freeze method, bearing leaves on the opposite side from this snapring (bearing number/type and oilseal size see pics).
CVT and gear are sufficantely smooth running. Motor, for its liquid cooled, good enough quiet, and performance adequate.

Since all plastic parts are deeple rutted (abused) and corroded, I decided to wire-brush and re-pattern.
Then sanding with steelwool, after that two coats with OWATROL plastic renewer. We'll see how long it lasts. Headlight unit has to be changed, it's yellowish, ordered a new one.
Will write further...
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: Grand Dink 150, restoration started 2
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 08:43:13 AM »
some more..
plastic parts consists of different materials. Some are PP some are ABS, need different treatment. Heatgun is to be used too, to get the surface halfways smooth.
Motor front shield was treated, brush, steelwool, heatgun and two times OWATROL, buffing.

Footpegs, brush, no steelwool, one time OWATROL.
I try different approaches..

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Dink 150, restoration started 2
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 09:32:02 AM »
some more..
plastic parts consists of different materials. Some are PP some are ABS, need different treatment. Heatgun is to be used too, to get the surface halfways smooth.
Motor front shield was treated, brush, steelwool, heatgun and two times OWATROL, buffing.

Footpegs, brush, no steelwool, one time OWATROL.
I try different approaches..
Ruffus I have a project GV 250 that the black plastic looks similar.  Person that restores bike's  recomended Rust-Oleum color dye. It's normally used to change the color of car interiors.  It stays flexible and won't flake off or scratch as easy.  The side panels on my GV have some road rash so will fill in the scratches and re-spray with automotive  paint mixed to match the color. Sucks Kymco does not offer matching paint for sale or even a color number code.

Are you planning on painting the black front red to match the scooter?
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Dink 150, restoration started
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 01:40:38 PM »
Ruffus, excited to watch the progress! Nice job on the plastics, returning them to black. Do you have a timeline you're working toward to get the scoot back on the road? I know KK says that's one of his favorite all around scooters...can't wait to see the progress and see it back on the road.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: Grand Dink 150, restoration started 3
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 04:16:15 PM »
Thank you,
@kansas, Rust-Oleum is not that well known here. So I tried with OWATROL, let's see..
Repainting, I hv to think it over. I myself am to sloppy for such work, and not skilled either. Compressor and spraygun is there.
To let it do would excede my budget for this scooter.
I guess, it will stay for awhile like that.
#hawk, no there is no timeline to finish this project.
Just make the scoot streetlegal and rideable, that's it.
Hv insurance from 01.july on, so good to go.
Did oilchange today, despite the former owners assurance, "was just recently", ha...oil black.like from a diesel engine. (pls see pics)
See motor pic too, freshly maintained, ha..
Filters are inexpensive, so off it goes.
New headlight arrived overnight to a price, you would not believe, inclusive delivery. (pls see pic)
Came with Phillips 55/60 H4 and position bulbs 5W.
Well, that is it for today...CU
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 04:42:56 PM by Ruffus »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 08:06:22 PM »
Thank you,
@kansas, Rust-Oleum is not that well known here. So I tried with OWATROL, let's see..
Repainting, I hv to think it over. I myself am to sloppy for such work, and not skilled either. Compressor and spraygun is there.
Did oilchange today, despite the former owners assurance, "was just recently", ha...oil black.like from a diesel engine. (pls see pics)
New headlight arrived overnight to a price, you would not believe, inclusive delivery. (pls see pic)
You mean there are LYING SCOUNDRELS in Italy? Say it is not so!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 09:34:27 PM »
Thank you,
Not familiar with OWATROL is it a plastic restorer?.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 12:16:14 AM »
I love how different people interpret 'well maintained'! To some it means yes, I have changed the oil..I think.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2021, 08:44:40 AM »
@Kansas, using this OWATROL stuff first time, have to see how it performs after a while of application.
Advertisement says it to be a plastic restorer, good for dasboards, garden furniture and things like that.

@hawk, yes there is sometimes a shade of difference in interpreting "maintainance". I do have a log for each of my vehicles with all details of parts, when and what.
This log goes as a paper copy with docs to a new owner. So he/she need not to go back all the way, what was done and which items are installed.
But unfortunately it's like Kansas says, there are some people around who bend truth a little and tell you all kind of stories, just to save a few €€. Open eyes and common sense prevents from being taken too much for a ride.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()