Author Topic: 2013 Kymco 500i UVX, over heating what to look for  (Read 2333 times)

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
2013 Kymco 500i UVX, over heating what to look for
« on: June 30, 2021, 01:32:42 AM »
My 2013 500i UXV ran great last year on a hunt trip.  Put over 400 miles on the machine without an issue.   Ignition key starter switch went out two weeks ago and I fixed that.  Now I'm getting engine warning light blinking after running in H gear position after 5 miles.   Radiator fan works perfect.   Engine warning light comes on while idling.   My first thought is to clean the radiator coils to make sure air is properly getting sucked in by the radiator fan.  Any other suggestions welcomed.  I getting ready for another hunt out west and want to make sure all things are running well.  FYI:  I filled radiator with 50/50 antifreeze last  year.  Radiator fluid is to the top of the radiator.  That's been checked.

Could the ignition starter switch tripped anything?  Maybe I'll disconnect battery to see if this fixes and resets my Kymco.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 02:16:07 AM by TomOnTheRun »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Kymco 500i UVX, over heating what to look for
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 03:27:58 PM »
Possibly the thermal switch that turns on the warning light has emotional issues. Pan of water, stove, thermometer and multimeter will confirm/destroy that theory...
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 04:56:38 PM »
Possibly the thermal switch that turns on the warning light has emotional issues. Pan of water, stove, thermometer and multimeter will confirm/destroy that theory...

Karl, thanks for the response but I'm not connecting the dots.   Can you clarify what the thermal switch is and where it's located?   Much appreciated.

Disregard, I googled thermal switch.  Got it.   Know exactly where it is.   
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 04:58:58 PM by TomOnTheRun »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 07:59:27 PM »
Karl, thanks for the response but I'm not connecting the dots.   Can you clarify what the thermal switch is and where it's located?   Much appreciated.

Disregard, I googled thermal switch.  Got it.   Know exactly where it is.
There are two thermal switches: one in the engine and the other in the radiator. The one in the radiator controls the fan, the one in the engine controls the light.

Just making sure....I know you got the right one!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 12:05:31 AM »
There are two thermal switches: one in the engine and the other in the radiator. The one in the radiator controls the fan, the one in the engine controls the light.

Just making sure....I know you got the right one!

where on the engine is the heat sensor?  What would cause the engine sensor to turn on the warning light? 

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. 

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 12:46:24 PM »
where on the engine is the heat sensor?  What would cause the engine sensor to turn on the warning light? 

Usually in the side of the cylinder casting for most of the Kymco liquid cooled engines I have seen.
I think these are bimetallic switches still and they can get out of range for various reasons. Not often but it does happen. More than likely your "overheating problem" is a wonky sensor but. You won't know unless you test it.
You have a bigger problem if it passes the test....
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 03:02:04 PM »
Usually in the side of the cylinder casting for most of the Kymco liquid cooled engines I have seen.
I think these are bimetallic switches still and they can get out of range for various reasons. Not often but it does happen. More than likely your "overheating problem" is a wonky sensor but. You won't know unless you test it.
You have a bigger problem if it passes the test....

Okay, just put over 600 miles on my 2013 Kymco UXV 500i one some very harsh environments.   At 450 mile mark I was getting engine warning light and overheating blue light coming on late in the day.   My son in-law deduced it to a stuck thermostat.  Located it under the driver seat and simply removed the thermostat.  It was rusty with corrosion.   I'm not advising others to do this but I removed it and my machine ran perfect and never overheated again.  I'm curious why some UTV's have a thermostat.    Not going to replace because my machine ran better, faster and stayed cooler with out it.  In totaled I put 623 miles on my 2013 UXV 500i and best it has ever run.   Just wanted to share this with everyone.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 08:01:58 PM »
Okay, just put over 600 miles on my 2013 Kymco UXV 500i one some very harsh environments.   At 450 mile mark I was getting engine warning light and overheating blue light coming on late in the day.   My son in-law deduced it to a stuck thermostat.  Located it under the driver seat and simply removed the thermostat.  It was rusty with corrosion.   I'm not advising others to do this but I removed it and my machine ran perfect and never overheated again.  I'm curious why some UTV's have a thermostat.    Not going to replace because my machine ran better, faster and stayed cooler with out it.  In totaled I put 623 miles on my 2013 UXV 500i and best it has ever run.   Just wanted to share this with everyone.
There is another possibility I completely forgot: EMI filter front of battery box (outside of box), right front. The two harness plugs for this filter will plug together so the fan will run. Mine crapped two years ago and the filter has been bypassed ever since! Try that.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 10:40:34 PM »
First and easiest would be to clean out the radiator fins, I have the 450i model and have had a couple overheat signals and found the radiator fins partially clogged with mud and dirt. I have learned to spray it out after any type of ride in mud or heavy dust. The problem is you cant see in there to see if radiator is clogged !!  Found a small spray nozzle with a nice 90 degree bend that I can get in the front to blast water thru the fins. Simple and easy if that is your problem.  Good luck!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2021, 12:19:51 AM »
Cool beans!
Glad you got it sorted by removing the thermostat!
That'll probably have some effect on mileage, emmisions,  etc. But hey if it's running great!!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2021, 04:15:23 AM »
Cool beans!
Glad you got it sorted by removing the thermostat!
That'll probably have some effect on mileage, emmisions,  etc. But hey if it's running great!!
Stig
All great comments gents!  I'll sacrifice some mileage.  It runs like a scalded dawg now.   Thanks to everyone for all the comments.  I have taken note.

Since the thermostat has come out my motor fan doesn't run nearly as often or as long once I shut off my bike.   My setup is legit.   Now I need to go revisit my grease fitting post so I can get rid of the squeaks when I'm off road.  After 600 miles of UVX 500i road travel, off the road terrain goin 7-11 mph the squeaks got old over the week.   

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2021, 04:22:26 AM »

Figured it out and very helpful just knowing how all this works.  Makes sense now.   Knowing Blue water light sensor comes from the engine is good to know.

TomOnTheRun

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2021, 04:27:26 AM »
There is another possibility I completely forgot: EMI filter front of battery box (outside of box), right front. The two harness plugs for this filter will plug together so the fan will run. Mine crapped two years ago and the filter has been bypassed ever since! Try that.

Yea, I have bypassed mine too.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()