Author Topic: Spade 2 up  (Read 424 times)

k50

• View Profile
Spade 2 up
« on: June 23, 2021, 12:51:00 PM »
Anyone ride a spade with a passenger?  Between me and my wife we weigh 330.  Won’t ride far or fast, just wondering if we both would fit.  Me 5’11” she 5’4”

Thanks

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Spade 2 up
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 02:14:08 PM »
"Fit" is a very personal thing.
Best of course is for both of you to sit the bike. If you're contemplating buying new for the two of you - you might have that rare draler who'd permit a test ride?
Your combined weight shouldn't be a problem  (a bit of harsh suspension bottoming will be expected)....but seat room and foot peg position may be the problem.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 05:11:18 PM »
I would say it would be uncomfortable and underpowered. Like Stig said you could go to a dealer and both sit on the bike and possible test ride.

Personally I would opt for two scooters or two bikes.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

k50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 03:51:39 PM »
Maybe I should pose this differently.  What I am looking for is a light scooter / bike that can hold 2 riders somewhat comfortably.  I want to carry this on the back of an rv, have a weight limit of about 300 lbs.  I have a 2007 people 250, great scooter but 350 lbs.  we will ride from the rv to local restaurants, trail heads, etc.  will be used strictly for getting to local destinations.  Thinking 10-15 miles tops.  Even a 125cc scoot might work.  We won’t need to go fast or far.  Sym makes a motorcycle called the wolf, 150cc and makes close to 15hp, little heavier than the spade, little bigger as well.  Am a fan of Kymco so would prefer Kymco over most others.  But I am open to all suggestions. 

Thanks!

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 05:12:13 PM »
My 2009 Kymco Super 8 150 would easily carry my wife and I.  I'm 6-2 and she's 5-7.  My Like 150i is much more cramped and no way would we both fit.  The new Super 8 also seems more cramped.  I would look at the Genuine Hooligan.  It seems to be one of the roomier small scooters.  Ultimately you will have to sit and do a fit test of any scooter/motorcycle you are considering.

I think you will be better off looking at 125-170cc scooters than tiny motorcycles. 

The 150cc Vespa's also are pretty roomy but will cost more.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 05:12:27 PM »
I understand being a RV'er myself. Will this go on a motorhome or trailer?  If motorhome I might make a suggestion,  Tractor Supply & Orchlens  sell Carry On trailers. I purchased the 5'x8' trailer on sale for $649.  If one of those trailers would work you could keep the People 250 which would be a lot more practical for two up riding. The trailer is so much easier to load then the ramp to a rear carrier.  I put a locking wheel chock from Harbor Freight and 4 tie downs and the scooter is secure.  I simply ride up into the wheel chock and then tie the scooter down using Canyon Dancer handle bar cups on the front and hook the rear to the back rack. Like I said just a suggestion.  The caveat being backing a trailer, additional length and storage. I use a trailer jack with a wheel on it disconnect when off loaded and push into parking area, (trailer is only 350# and pushes easily).

If you want to go the small scooter/bike route I would visit the dealers and both of you sit in the machines. Because of their small displacement they are really only designed to carry one person or two small teenager's. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 05:47:39 PM by Kansas kymco »

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 05:17:09 PM »
My 2009 Kymco Super 8 150 would easily carry my wife and I.  I'm 6-2 and she's 5-7.  My Like 150i is much more cramped and no way would we both fit.  The new Super 8 also seems more cramped.  I would look at the Genuine Hooligan.  It seems to be one of the roomier small scooters.  Ultimately you will have to sit and do a fit test of any scooter/motorcycle you are considering.

I think you will be better off looking at 125-170cc scooters than tiny motorcycles. 

The 150cc Vespa's also are pretty roomy but will cost more.
The newer Super 8 is actually based on the agility scooters with a bigger engine. I have a couple of the older big wheel Super 8 150's. I beleive 2014 is the last year of the big wheel Super 8.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 05:49:40 PM by Kansas kymco »

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 08:52:57 PM »
Whar about weight rating for bike?  safety factor.

Paco

• Northern California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 09:53:38 PM »
I think Honda's ADV 150 might fit the bill. I believe it's a tick under 300 pounds with fluids.
2019 Kymco X-Town 300i

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 02:03:36 AM »
Whar about weight rating for bike?  safety factor.

Are you kidding?  They put whole families on small scooters in many Asian countries.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()