Author Topic: Electric fault? Only running on idle  (Read 1363 times)

GoranBregovic

• View Profile
Electric fault? Only running on idle
« on: April 30, 2021, 06:34:04 PM »
Hello friends.

A neighbour gave me his 2003 Kymco movie 150cc with unknown faults. (yay!)

I saw the CDI was missing so i bought one off ebay. Funny thing I got it today and I google the number that is printed on the CDI and it seems to belong to mostly Honda motorcycles!?

Anyway i get the scooter to run on idle (woho!) , its running smooth and sounds good but as soon as I touch the trottle it just dies. I will probably clean the carburetor but i still have a feeling its an electrical error. What you think i shold do next?

Another strange thing is, it doesent start until i let go of the brake. I run the starter and it just cranks until the very point I release the brake, then it ignite and start running on idle. hm.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
Re: Electric fault? Only running on idle
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 05:53:12 AM »
Clean the carb properly first . When you open the throttle the engine is most probably getting too little fuel and too much air flow - therefore the engine stalls. The carb jets / channels are probably partly blocked.

What happens if you press the starter button without pulling the brakes ?  If the starter does not swing the engine while you are not pulling the brakes your scooter - that is the way the system is suppose to work. I think in such case it is just co-incidence that the engine started when you released the brakes.

Putting it in another way - The only purpose of pulling the brakes is to complete the electric circuit between the battery, ignition switch, starter button, starter solenoid, and starter motor itself. If you don’t pull the brakes, that electric circuit is not complete and the starter motor should not swing when you press the button
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 05:56:40 AM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

GoranBregovic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 06:27:32 PM »
Thanks. I cleaned the carburetor and now it responds when I open the throttle.
It runs very uneven when revving, not on idle though. Hm. Might it be old gas and residue from the tank and hoses? I didn’t flush these. See attached video link

I’m also thinking about the cdi, isn’t it strange I get no hits on kymco when googling the number printed on the cdi?

Rusty Teeth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 01:33:12 AM »
Did you get this resolved,  doing a full carb clean in am have stumble off idle at times. Also have seen the coil wire boot desolder itself. Then it sits and cools and behaves a bit. Going to change that out to a NGK 90 degree.  Testing it always tests good, as solder only melts when hot and bad connections.  Will post results!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()