Author Topic: Covid vaccine and motorcycles.  (Read 588 times)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Covid vaccine and motorcycles.
« on: April 02, 2021, 01:22:48 PM »
What does the Covid vaccine have to do with motorcycles?  Well......here's my story and I'm sticking to it.

a couple of weeks ago Alabama opened up my age group to be eligible for the vaccine so I signed up for the waiting list at the Huntsville Hospital.  My 85 YO mom got her shots there and the process was very well organized.  When I signed up there were around 65,000 people ahead of me on the list and they were doing 2500 people per week.  My wife decided to sign us up at the Decatur Hospital which is around 25 miles away.

So yesterday I get a call from the Decatur hospital.  The lady on the phone asked if we still needed shot and I said yes.  They had opening for next week.  So we set a time and she started getting information from me.  Typical stuff you would expect like:
-Reactions to previous vaccines
-address
-date of birth
-emergency contact
- DO YOU RIDE A MOTORCYCLE??

WHAAAAAAAT???

I didn't see that one coming but I answered YES.

then she asked "do you know Tim xxxxxx"

I said yes I do.

Then she said she was Tim's wife and she recognized my name.  I had met Tim as well as his wife about 8 years ago on a ride when I first moved to Huntsville.  We rode together a number of times for the next couple of years and then Tim stopped riding and I haven't seen him since.

This was another case of "it's a small world".  This is especially true if you are part of the riding community.  I have had a number of experiences like this but it still blows my mind every time it happens.

Anyway, this just made my day.  I'll be fully vaccinated by the end of the month and I got to talk to someone I hadn't seen in years.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Covid vaccine and motorcycles.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 05:05:31 PM »
Pretty cool.
Reminds me of the time I phoned the city streets dept. to complain about a big pot hole, which my LIKE200i hated!, and the young lady who answered the phone was the same gal I'd seen riding a new pink Vespa in town. SHE had to cross the same bridge on her way to work, and knew exactly which hole I was referring to.
The next morning that hole had a lovely smooth patch in it!

Glad you're getting jabbed - in some states, & in some countries - seems folks will be waiting a good while longer.
My boyhood friend missed it by just a few weeks. He's being laid to rest today.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 02:32:56 PM »
Great stories! I truly pray none have reactions like Dolly Parton and a few others to this shot or worse, the second one!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 08:27:33 PM »
Great stories! I truly pray none have reactions like Dolly Parton and a few others to this shot or worse, the second one!

Dolly getting her vaccination.
She donated $1,000,000 last year to move things along - and yet still waited her turn to get her 2 doses of the Moderna vaccine.
She doesn't mince words with those who don't.....

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 08:46:19 PM »
Dolly getting her vaccination.
She donated $1,000,000 last year to move things along - and yet still waited her turn to get her 2 doses of the Moderna vaccine.
She doesn't mince words with those who don't.....

Stig
Dolly in critical condition after second shot....
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 11:31:46 PM »

Karl, Not sure I understand.
4 hours ago she was well enough to post on instagram about the passing of her uncle Bill. She mentioned nothing about an illness.
Did she faint or something?
Certainly nothing I can find in the news.

Stig
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 01:14:45 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 02:30:51 AM »
My wife and I got our first Pfizer shots this morning.  So far no issues.  I barely felt the shot and don't even have a sore arm.  My wife on the other hand......

She wore a sleeveless shirt and then went to lunch with some friends.  They ate lunch outside and she got a bit of a sunburn on her arm, except for where the band aid from the shot was.  Now she has a white spot there ;D
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 02:37:37 AM »
4 hours ago she was well enough to post on instagram about the passing of her uncle Bill. She mentioned nothing about an illness.

Stig

I couldn't find anything either.  I'm pretty sure it would be in the news if she had a serious reaction.  I found several articles and none of them mentioned anything about an adverse reaction.  It wouldn't surprise me if someone posted some fake news somewhere.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 08:52:03 AM »

Stig
Sorry, boys! I musta fell victim to fake news! Cannot verify so have to kill the story.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 11:10:11 AM »
Yeah, I got pretty upset when I  read that Dolly might be ill!
I consider myself to be almost her neighbor, ever' since I  kept passing those signs to Dollywood near our cabin rental last summer. Never went there, but I knew she would be a waiting there with a big stack of flapjacks....if I'd a needed them.
Glad she's OK!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 02:54:24 PM »
Gotta love DP:
“It costs a lot of money to look this cheap”
? Dolly Parton
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 02:55:48 PM »
What does the Covid vaccine have to do with motorcycles?  Well......here's my story and I'm sticking to it.

a couple of weeks ago Alabama opened up my age group to be eligible for the vaccine so I signed up for the waiting list at the Huntsville Hospital.  My 85 YO mom got her shots there and the process was very well organized.  When I signed up there were around 65,000 people ahead of me on the list and they were doing 2500 people per week.  My wife decided to sign us up at the Decatur Hospital which is around 25 miles away.

So yesterday I get a call from the Decatur hospital.  The lady on the phone asked if we still needed shot and I said yes.  They had opening for next week.  So we set a time and she started getting information from me.  Typical stuff you would expect like:
-Reactions to previous vaccines
-address
-date of birth
-emergency contact
- DO YOU RIDE A MOTORCYCLE??

WHAAAAAAAT???

I didn't see that one coming but I answered YES.

then she asked "do you know Tim xxxxxx"

I said yes I do.

Then she said she was Tim's wife and she recognized my name.  I had met Tim as well as his wife about 8 years ago on a ride when I first moved to Huntsville.  We rode together a number of times for the next couple of years and then Tim stopped riding and I haven't seen him since.

This was another case of "it's a small world".  This is especially true if you are part of the riding community.  I have had a number of experiences like this but it still blows my mind every time it happens.

Anyway, this just made my day.  I'll be fully vaccinated by the end of the month and I got to talk to someone I hadn't seen in years.

I've had similar in the past Klav, it always gives me a real buzz too.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

fest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 08:49:28 PM »

If you don't want to end up in xatans kingdom watch this video.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()