Author Topic: Potentially updating Variator to racing Variator.  (Read 1130 times)

ClayMation

• View Profile
Potentially updating Variator to racing Variator.
« on: March 28, 2021, 05:52:11 AM »
I am eyeballing a Mollasi variator kit for about 300 bucks which is designed to be an upgrade to the stock variator. Alongside the kit will also be installed new rollers to accommodate so I do not lose acceleration.

Does anybody have experience with upgrading to a higher end, or even racing variator? I mean the kit is designed for this bike so.

Would like to know what to look out for.

Thanks

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: Potentially updating Variator to racing Variator.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 06:30:01 PM »
Maybe you have a look at my write up about this subject.
Like I say there, it's done only on one LIKE 200i and therefor might limp a little.
For ME, original MALOSSI rollers, wear out to fast and get flat spots after 200-300 kms only. Eventuelly changing to Dr.P's squares brought for me a satisfying result. But this a very individuell stuff, how you get happy with your scooters perfomance.

https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=30655.msg214654#msg214654

Let us know how it worked out.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

sissymary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 12:18:03 PM »
You will spend $ for about 1/2 second faster 0-60 time. A waist of $. Your motor will spin faster RPM's, get worse MPG etc. If you use their belt it will plow up after about 1000 miles. It is shorter and narrower than stock Kymco belt. Stay stock, Don't make the mistake I and others have made.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 12:44:46 PM »
You will spend $ for about 1/2 second faster 0-60 time. A waist of $. Your motor will spin faster RPM's, get worse MPG etc. If you use their belt it will plow up after about 1000 miles. It is shorter and narrower than stock Kymco belt. Stay stock, Don't make the mistake I and others have made.
My opinion, for what it is worth, Kymco has gotten pretty much of their engineering and manufacturing worked out properly. Very difficult to improve upon successfully.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 06:05:20 AM »
There is almost nothing to gain from doing any of these exotic Euro-racing mods.  They're expensive, and they add almost nothing to performance. And the parts wear out quickly. Much simpler to buy a 150cc scooter than dick around with a 50cc moped.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()