Author Topic: led turn signal convertion  (Read 1223 times)

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
led turn signal convertion
« on: February 21, 2021, 10:50:46 PM »
Hello everybody, My last mod Turned out great. I was able to remove the handlebar endcaps and install some really neat looking ones that are aluminum. Here is the link if anyone is interested.

Eriding Universal Motorcycle Bar Ends CNC Spools Sliders Hand Grip Handlebar End Caps (Black)
by E-RIDING
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081J8F2LN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_WX6SV6WNW4XSSKGG74H0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My next modification for spring riding is going to attempt to install LED turn signals the correct way. Before I just replaced the incondencent ones with LED's and whenever I hit the turn signal all I got was a rapid flashing sound coming from the winker. I assume there was not enough load on the system so it thought the bulb was out so after that i just put the regular incandescent bulbs back in.

I was flipping through the kymco 125 service manual and discovered that there is a Headlight resistor located below the floorboard. Will changing this to a LED resistor stop the hyper flashing or will I need to wire resistors to all four turn signal bulbs? Or is this strictly for the Headlight?

Currently the LED's That I have installed are in the Headlight and the instrument cluster assembly.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 10:53:24 PM by aschrauth »
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

eamartin

• View Profile
Re: led turn signal convertion
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 11:04:01 PM »
Doesn't anyone make a flasher specifically for LED turn signal conversions?

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 12:30:50 AM »
Doesn't anyone make a flasher specifically for LED turn signal conversions?

They do but I was looking more on the line of " Plug and play". Currently the only flasher relay that I can think of is the Winker that is located under the handlebar cover. Im woundering if this can be replaced by a three pin LED resistor in order to stop Hyperflashing of all four LED turn signals.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 03:57:23 AM »
yes, replacing your flasher relay with one made for led lights will solve your hyperflashing problem. I couldn't find an exact 'plug and play' relay so I bought one with 3 wires and cut off the connector plug and used heat shrink butt connectors to make the connection. It works great.

There are a million different 3 pin led flasher relays for motorcycles...they are cheap and plentiful online.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 08:36:43 AM »
I used simple 80 or 100ohm resistors, one on each of the front signal lights.  They can get hot in use, like if you leave it blinking for 15 minutes, so secure each one with a metal tab so they don't melt any nearby plastic. Resistors are much easier to install than LED flashers, cheaper, and much more reliable. You only need two, not four, each connected as shown, one one each front turn signal.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 06:55:52 AM by JJJoseph »

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 06:34:02 PM »
yes, replacing your flasher relay with one made for led lights will solve your hyperflashing problem. I couldn't find an exact 'plug and play' relay so I bought one with 3 wires and cut off the connector plug and used heat shrink butt connectors to make the connection. It works great.

There are a million different 3 pin led flasher relays for motorcycles...they are cheap and plentiful online.

I saw one of your posts about led turn signals and saw that you had used a led relay, what wires did you match? Does it matter what ones are are connected to the led relay. I found one on Amazon that is three pinned and is the exact same shape as the oem Winker.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009T2YSAI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_SAQMCBE5Y8VGDBJAJYJH
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 06:39:13 PM by aschrauth »
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 11:12:16 PM »
you do want to match up the correct wires to the flasher relay. A 3  pin relay will have the 3 pins labeled as B (hot), E (ground) and L (load..or neutral?). My Kymco OEM flasher had a plug with 3 wires going in...black, white and green. I'm going to assume that the black was power, green was ground and white was load (neutral? I'm no electrician!) I'm sure I tested the wires before making the connections to make sure my assumptions were correct. I used a multimeter and tested as if I were testing a battery..set on 20V DC...and checked for power with key on and turn signal switch activated.

The colors of the wires coming from the flasher relay were all different than the Kymco wires but again the flasher relay has it's 3 pins or wires labeled B, E and L.

You can get a relay with 3 pins but you'll then need to crimp on the correct sized female plug to the scooter wires to connect them to the relay. I found it easier to just buy a relay with 3 wires coming out of it rather than 3 plugs. Cut off the plug and used crimp on heat shrink butt connectors to make the connections.

a search for a 3 wire led motorcycle flasher relay should turn up lots of options. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 03:52:59 AM »
you do want to match up the correct wires to the flasher relay. A 3  pin relay will have the 3 pins labeled as B (hot), E (ground) and L (load..or neutral?). My Kymco OEM flasher had a plug with 3 wires going in...black, white and green. I'm going to assume that the black was power, green was ground and white was load (neutral? I'm no electrician!) I'm sure I tested the wires before making the connections to make sure my assumptions were correct. I used a multimeter and tested as if I were testing a battery..set on 20V DC...and checked for power with key on and turn signal switch activated.

The colors of the wires coming from the flasher relay were all different than the Kymco wires but again the flasher relay has it's 3 pins or wires labeled B, E and L.

You can get a relay with 3 pins but you'll then need to crimp on the correct sized female plug to the scooter wires to connect them to the relay. I found it easier to just buy a relay with 3 wires coming out of it rather than 3 plugs. Cut off the plug and used crimp on heat shrink butt connectors to make the connections.

a search for a 3 wire led motorcycle flasher relay should turn up lots of options. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

I do have another question would I need to put a diode in for the indicator lamp on the dash due to both turn signals sharing the same indicator bulb?
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 01:57:38 PM »
I don't have an answer for that...I'd try it first, without, to see how everything works. If the dash indicator is also driven off the flasher relay you should be fine once you upgrade to the led relay (?)

Adding led turn signal bulbs and tail lamp/stop bulb was a huge improvement to my scoot as far as making me much more visible to others. Glad you're making the upgrade.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 07:17:27 PM »
thought I would update you all on my progress. So I just installed the turn signal relay today. Here is a link if anybody wants to purchase it.

dewhel 1 pc CF-13 CF13 EP34 3 Pin Electronic Flasher Fix 12V 0.02A-20A For LED Turn Signal Light Bulbs Hyper Blink Flash No Flash

I had to bend the female pins out in order to fit them into the Led turn signal relay but they fit snugly. The flasher clicks once the switch is engaged but here is another issue that I believe might need the installation of diodes on the turn signal Indicator.

I had some spare LED's lying around so I installed two on the front and left the incandescent on the rear. The turn signal functioned properly with the indicator bulb on the dash flashing with the LED's. However, when I installed LED's in the rear it got mad and started flashing them all at once ( almost like a 4 way hazard). While flashing four ways the dash bulb did not work also.

I can only assume that Diodes need to be installed in the dash indicator bulb to prevent the leakage of current due to the low energy drawn by the LED's Next on my amazon list I am going to purchace some Diodes that I can install into the Dash bulb.

when I get this situation Im going to get rid of the Fish eye turn signals and replace them with theese sleek Led housings

YIEKO 4PCS Led Motorcycle Indicators Flowing Turn Signal Lights Motorbike Turning Indicators 12V 12 LEDs Bulbs for Yamaha Honda Suzuki Kawasaki (Amber)

PS. loving the new fourm web user interface.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()