Author Topic: is adding an aftermarket horn possible?  (Read 14182 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: is adding an aftermarket horn possible?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2020, 08:21:25 PM »
Nice job Karl!
Let's look at making this a DIY sticky, Ok?
Stig
OK, but let me put the horn ground in a new pitchur .....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2020, 09:15:54 PM »
Here is the corrected diagram:
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2020, 11:54:47 PM »
Karl, just to be clear...can you tell me what wire attaches to each of the 4 pins on the relay?

From the drawing it looks like 2 wires from original horn and a power wire coming in to the relay and 1 going out to the new horn. Let's make this 'wiring a relay for dummies'! (which isn't far from the truth)
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2020, 10:59:03 AM »
Karl, just to be clear...can you tell me what wire attaches to each of the 4 pins on the relay?

From the drawing it looks like 2 wires from original horn and a power wire coming in to the relay and 1 going out to the new horn. Let's make this 'wiring a relay for dummies'! (which isn't far from the truth)
Be happy as a clam to do! The two wires that went to the wimpy horn go to 85 & 86. The 30 & 87 are the new switch for the new manly horn.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2020, 02:19:09 PM »
I assume the Relay is a 4 pin “Normally Open” relay.

You can use this diagram on any scooter, car, or whatever when you use a 4 Pin “Normally Open” relay:

1. Disconnect the wire which has positive (+) power at the old horn when you press the horn button, and connect that wire to 86 on the 4 pin Relay.

2. Connect 85 on the Relay to the scooter frame or (-) on the Battery.

(85 and 86 is the “switch part” on a  “Normally Open” 4 pin Relay).

3.  30 on the Relay gets linked directly to the battery - with a Fuse in between.
    (You can use a fuse slightly higher than 5 Amps for the new horn).

4. 87 on the Relay needs to be linked directly to the Positive (+) terminal on the new horn.
   (The horn should also have a Negative (-) connection, which can be earthed on the scooter Frame, or the Negative (-) on the Battery.

If you wire the horn up this way the new horn will work when you press the existing horn Button, and the horn will get Positive (+) power feed directly from the Battery - without overloading the existing scooter Fuses or scooter Wires. The horn Button will not be overloaded either - because the new horn will pull Power directly from the Battery.

By doing the wiring this way the old horn will get bypassed though. If you want to use the old horn at the same time as well you can actually install a 5 pin relay - but I think the horn Button, an existing fuse and even some existing wiring might not last.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 02:20:46 PM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2020, 06:10:51 PM »
Since I do not like stuff falling off/quiting on trips when in the middle of no- where  In addition to replay, mounting has to be strong/non vibrating----Need for loud horn may indicate sex problem.

Best to work on your alertness/riding technique----of  course loud clothes so you are seen....and treat the cars and other traffic like they are trying to kill you.

for the most part, I use my horn once a year..... to pass state safety inspection, other than that, maybe a quick beep beep to a friend that I see in his yard, as I pass by, never in traffic, I don't get it, what does laying on the horn do? as a warning device, it is never in time. I might give a quick toot, to someone who is daydreaming at a traffic light

because I generally only use the horn once a year, and ride year round in crappy winter conditions, by safety inspection, my horn is seized, and I have to buy a new one. One year, all they had on the shelf, was a 6v horn. And guess what, it hasn't seized or burnt out, in over 10 years, it is slightly louder but not obnoxious, and higher pitched than a 12v horn, perfect for a road runner style beep-beep to your friends
RandyO
IBA#9560

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2020, 07:33:54 PM »
Scooter horns.....

I usually give the coffee shop fellows a beep when I ride past leaving for home....and my Reflex buddy who lives on the outgoing edge of town - (rarely see him at the coffee shop since start of covid)

Of the 4 scooters and 8 years - doubt I'm averaging a beep once a year otherwise....maybe the odd squirrel or two?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2020, 11:39:26 PM »
Karl and Scooterfan, thank you, that's exactly the kind of basic, make it simple info I need. I think I can do this!

RandyO and Stig, I'm probably with you guys..maybe hit the horn once or twice a season...but as Stuo said, you only really need the horn when you need the horn.

I do honk at cows in the fields when I'm out on my motorcycle on 2 lane highways....just to see if I can get a reaction...doesn't seem to phase them...
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2020, 12:25:30 AM »
Hey! When I honk my horn at some MORON, I wanna see brown stuff onna pavement and NO MORON!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2020, 05:03:02 AM »
Here is your diagram.

Excellent - how do we read the image?  It's VERY tiny!

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2020, 02:39:09 PM »
JJJoseph - click on the name of the file right below the pic to download the pic...then you will see it in full size.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2020, 02:56:45 PM »
 Then it turns it 90 degrees! I wish i could do pictures like Stig!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2020, 05:15:05 PM »
Just an explanation about something which might cause confusion:

Chrossbolt referred to terminals 30 and 87 on the 4 pin relay as the switch part of the relay - while I referred to terminals 30 and 87 as the “switch part” of the relay.

Chrossbolt is technical correct - terminals 30 and 87 on a “normally open” relay has a little plate which flicks over to make direct contact between the two terminals once the electric circuit gets completed between terminals 85 and 86.

The reason why I prefer to refer to terminals 85 and 86 as the “switch part”of the relay - the little plate between terminals 30 and 87 will never complete an electric circuit unless the circuit between terminals 85 and 86 gets completed in advance. Therefore terminals 85 and 86 actually need to become part of of the horn Button (some kind of a switch in this case)  to complete the “switch circuit” in order to generate a direct link between 30 and 87.

Long story but Crossbolt is technical correct - he referred to the little plate between 30 and 87 which flicks over like a switch when the circuit between 85 and 86 gets completed.
Right or wrong - I prefer to refer to refer to 85 and 86 as the “switch part” ( in brackets), because the link between 30 and 87 will never be completed unless a button or switch get pressed - and 85 and 86 in not part of that “switch circuit”. Fact is - that little plate between 30 and 87 becomes the direct link between the Battery and the Horn when the switch circuit (which includes 85 and 86) gets activated.

Hopefully this is not causing more confusion.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 06:09:44 AM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2020, 10:29:39 PM »
very useful. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this item!

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2020, 11:00:49 PM »
Hey! When I honk my horn at some MORON, I wanna see brown stuff onna pavement and NO MORON!
I very seldom use my horn. Probably the most for people texting at a stop light when it turns green. The air horn definitely gets there attention.  On my ride the 23rd was going through Lindsborg and wearing my thick gauntlet gloves.  I accidentally   hit the horn button when canceling the turn indicator, got people's attention on both sides of the street. Agree that all you need is a quick honk not laying on the horn.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 11:13:48 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()