Author Topic: cold starting in the morning  (Read 403 times)

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
cold starting in the morning
« on: December 18, 2020, 05:03:33 PM »
Hello everybody, I have a couple of questions.

So recently in Missouri it has been getting cold. Like REALLY cold, almost in the lower teens, but that doesn't stop me from riding my scooter to work. Recently I have noticed that when I start my scooter in the morning it starts perfectly but once I imitiantly give it throttle it dies and then starts back up. Im assuming this has to do with the cold weather, but once I let the scooter warm up the symptoms dissappear. My question is would it be a good Idea to unplug the idle enricher in the wintertime to prevent the engine from recieving extra fuel. I have been experimenting with different jet sizes and I found that I reach the best top end speed with a 108. Let Me know what you guys think.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: cold starting in the morning
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 11:50:20 PM »
I guess I'm not following your logic..in the winter for cold starts you need more fuel to get started. Your auto bystarter works by allowing extra fuel at startup and once it warms the needle extends, shutting off the flow of the extra fuel it used at startup.

If you were to unhook the bystarter I believe it would be in 'cold start' mode at all times (?) Not sure how you'd defeat the bystarter to be in the warm postion at all times...or why you'd want to..
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 12:00:44 AM »
What Iowa Hawk said. You would be better off by putting a heating blanket over the scoot at night if you can find one to stay on more than a couple hours. Jury rig one so it stays on.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 01:38:15 AM »
Air cooled engines warms up quite fast after a cold start so maybe the scooter just needs to warm up a little at idling speed before take off ?
How long does the motor needs to warm up before the problem disappear ?

P.S.  At another thread you also mentioned that the engine revved up quite high at 1/4 throttle so if that still happens I think this might be part of your problem.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 01:45:42 AM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 02:50:17 AM »
I'm in Missouri too.  On real cold nights we used to put a drop light fitted with a 100 watt bulb under our oil pans.  You could try that too.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()