Author Topic: Super 9 won’t start!  (Read 1415 times)

Butch1978

• View Profile
Super 9 won’t start!
« on: October 17, 2020, 07:19:30 PM »
Ok! Here we go last weekend I replaced the stator put a new piston in , replaced all the gaskets and used sealant and change the spark plug! Rode it for about 20 minutes and it cut out! After 5 mins it started! But then died again! And now won’t start! !
There seems plenty of juice in the battery, but obviously dies with continuous using of the electric start (kick start isn’t any better)! So i stripper the carb! Gave it all a good clean! Ensured all the mixer screws was set to what it was before I stripped it, Drained the fuel tank and added new fuel, cleaned the spark plug and I have a spark! But the bloody thing not start! It sounds like it is trying desperately to start when I pull the throttle but it doesn’t seem to have enough to get to the final stage of starting! The carb does have fuel in it as I have undone the screw and it comes out! Fuel is coming out of the vacuum pump and the carb has enough vacuum to draw fuel! I am scratching my head constantly as I can’t seem to figure this out! Any help would be appreciated before I give up and ever pay of a bike mechanic to look at it or accident light a fag next to the carb when the fuel pipe is off 😂😂

Butch1978

• View Profile
Re: Super 9 won’t start!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 07:33:29 PM »
I have tried to upload a video but it won’t allow it!
I have uploaded a video to my one drive see the link below
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqI1l8fYB74nkh96ANRw8ASOGcFP?e=0vRTog

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 09:40:12 PM »
1-have you tried using starting fluid/ether?
2-after trying unsuccessfully to start it, have you removed the spark plug to see if it is wet?

Butch1978

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 07:49:55 AM »
1-have you tried using starting fluid/ether?
2-after trying unsuccessfully to start it, have you removed the spark plug to see if it is wet?
Yes tried both! Sorry forgot to mention that!

Butch1978

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 12:17:54 PM »
I have had a look at the battery terminals today and the wires connection to the connectors! And they look pretty old! Could this be causing an issue? Was wondering if I put cut the wires back and use some new connectors if that could help?

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 12:35:11 PM »
Yes tried both! Sorry forgot to mention that!
You didn't say whether or not the spark plug was wet with fuel when you removed it.

Butch1978

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 07:31:57 PM »
You didn't say whether or not the spark plug was wet with fuel when you removed it.
Sorry yes, and smelt of fuel

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 06:47:45 AM »
If the ring gap is too tight, or the engine gets too hot, the rings will seize when it gets hot and the engine stops.  It will start again after it cools down.  If you remove the head and see score marks on the cylinder wall, that's what's happening.  It also happens when racing 2-stokes.

Butch1978

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 09:36:36 AM »
If the ring gap is too tight, or the engine gets too hot, the rings will seize when it gets hot and the engine stops.  It will start again after it cools down.  If you remove the head and see score marks on the cylinder wall, that's what's happening.  It also happens when racing 2-stokes.
Thanks for your reply! It won’t start again, even when it’s cooled down! I will remove the head over the next few days to see if there is any scoring etc!

Butch1978

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 05:10:59 PM »
Ok problem solved ! I took the head off today and the piston is damaged! So low compression! So off I go to order a new piston! I will also order a new head as there is some minor scoring to the head. Any idea what would cause this to happen? Did I possibly position the rings incorrectly???
Also when I took the head off, I noticed a lot of liquid in the crank shaft area! It does look like oil but more thin than I thought it should look like! Now I did have the crankshaft casing apart a month or so ago as I thought I damaged the crankshaft, and there wasn’t that much liquid if any when I took the crankshaft casing apart! So is it normal to have liquid sitting at the bottom or not? If not then perhaps I never sealed it properly, although it hadn’t rained after I put it back together!
Also I have looked at a replacement cost of a 50cc cylinder and for a small extra amount I can get a 70cc kit! Would anyone offer advise on this? I can get it with or without a new carb, so I assume if I just got the cylinder I would need to change the carb as well? If I got the one with the carb I assume the jets have been upgraded which I assume I could then put an aftermarket air cone on it? But I still do have the after market exhaust so could that cause a problem! When the bike was working I could get just under 45mph out of it!
Also what’s the difference with a tuning kit and a racing kit?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()