Author Topic: Dynamic road pucker!  (Read 677 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Dynamic road pucker!
« on: October 07, 2020, 01:00:43 AM »
Had a surprise experience this Monday involving hard braking. On my way with "honey-do's" to do, following tractor-trailer at slow speed 45 to 47 and back again. Cab-over truck (tractor) pulling a rusty lowboy trailer on a state two lane highway. Hey, slow no problem! Ride lasts longer, I'm retired, not s'posed to be inna hurry! So, anyway, the truck slows deliberately, driver waves arm out the open window the "pass me" signal so we bank left, straighten up and roll on throttle and HE STARTS A TURN TO THE LEFT! Hard brakes on, front tire growling, rear just a slight barely audible squeal and a very fast stop from about 30 mph. Insults inside a closed modular helmet remain mostly inside the hat. He carries forward and to the left into a field entrance and we get back in the proper lane and carry on.

Observations on this mini drama are:
1. Front brake technique not that difficult even when not practiced all that much. Just be quick to just relax the grip a little when the howl starts.
2. Rear brake less crucial even if tire slides. This situation different because of the car tire back there! That thing stuck to the pavement WAY BEYOND what a cycle profile would have! I have read of others experiencing this but now I know it is NOT a fantasy. Braking action is definitely superior.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Dynamic road pucker!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 07:39:19 AM »
Oo nasty! Glad you made the stop and are back on here to tell the tale. Too many motorcycling fatalities over here involving farm vehicles.
[emoji853]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 05:17:59 PM »
So that arm out the window was a "left turn" signal....not a "pass"?!
Geez.
Another instance where ABS would have been nice?

Been a few yrs since I had one experience like that in a car. Farm tractor pulling a hay wagon.
Sudden stop and left turn - no brake lights or turn signal.

My problem is a big batch of bicycle riders ----they hog the road, are strung out for 50 yards or more. Even if you can pass the rear 3-abreast, you have to pull back in to a batch of singles and doubles all spread along the road.
They turn off my route - but not for about 3 miles. I've no safe place to pull over to wait them out.

What the heck IS the proper group bike riding procedure?
Shouldn't they get single-file?

I see them once a month.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 05:31:17 PM »
They need to be on the other side of your road going in the direction opposite to your direction! Har, har!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 10:12:25 PM »
Been a few yrs since I had one experience like that in a car. Farm tractor pulling a hay wagon.
Sudden stop and left turn - no brake lights or turn signal.

well...I just had this happen today! I was on my motorcycle this afternoon on a local 2 lane highway and I came up on exactly that, a tractor pulling a wagon with no lights or signals.

we were on a long straight with slight curve to the right.. and it was a 'passing' section...I contemplated pulling into the left lane and accelerating by him...right as I was making sure it was all clear he took a sharp left turn.

I thought 'Oh crap'....and Karl's post popped into my mind. That could have been ugly. Another reason to always stay calm and not stressed or hurried while on 2 wheels.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 10:49:54 PM »
well...I just had this happen today! I was on my motorcycle this afternoon on a local 2 lane highway and I came up on exactly that, a tractor pulling a wagon with no lights or signals.

we were on a long straight with slight curve to the right.. and it was a 'passing' section...I contemplated pulling into the left lane and accelerating by him...right as I was making sure it was all clear he took a sharp left turn.

I thought 'Oh crap'....and Karl's post popped into my mind. That could have been ugly. Another reason to always stay calm and not stressed or hurried while on 2 wheels.
D-drop the other shoe! Didja power out of it or binder down? We have standard state highway skinny roads and then we gotcher super skinny roads. You ought to see the size of the self-powered and trailed equipment fill up the real skinny ones! Some of that farmer stuff trims the tree branches!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 12:51:50 PM »
luckily I was following the tractor at about 30 mph with a decent gap and only had to slightly slow as he made his quick left. In my mind I was getting ready to kick it down a gear and get on the gas for a nice pass and acceleration back to highway speed.

If I had got on the gas hard and started my pass right when he turned left...ooh..I don't know ...not good. Probably would have hammered the brakes.

Lots of hazards out there and we can't lose focus for a second.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 04:40:30 PM »
My take---when you are riding underpowered slow scooters/bikes----to avoid passing this slow/unmarked farm stuff, just stay back, take a break.  Braking is not a good way to get out of bad situations.  ABS on bikes came along to make them more unskilled/idiot proof.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()