Author Topic: Cold weather starting  (Read 747 times)

wymple

• View Profile
Cold weather starting
« on: September 10, 2020, 12:40:16 AM »
So, with the temp in the 50's my 2010 did the "I'm not starting without a fight" thing. I read about the recalls, weak starters drawing too much juice, etc. Battery is new and slightly above 13 volts. One suggestion that came up was to do 2 things. Make sure the side stand is up as the fuel pump won't run without that. It wants that 3 seconds or so of priming that the pump runs when you turn on the key. I don't know if that made such a big difference, but it made sense. Number 2 is apparently the answer. Turn the key on, and fully open and close the throttle twice. I don't have an explanation but it starts immediately. I've tried it a half dozen times on a completely cold motor. Strange, but I'll take it. Beats having to possibly pay for whatever the recall upgrade is.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Cold weather starting
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 01:03:27 AM »
Who would have thought! Worth trying! Cold weather starting legend about the 500's it would be worth trying prayer!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

wymple

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 02:34:18 AM »
The morning will be no better than 52 degrees here. It will warm my heart if it fires up like it did today. I'm not sure why it's a problem to me anyway, since I'm a fair weather rider who prefers 70 to maybe 85 degrees!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 10:56:53 AM »
I expect every gasoline engine to actally do what is commanded whenever commanded unless it has a warning placard attached stating generally, "NOT TO BE USED IN COLD WEATHER."
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 12:18:30 PM »
Cold weather starting has never been the 500's Forte.  It helps if they were recently run as well.  I have a 4 stroke weed eater that standard starting procedure is to sit the thing in the sun on a hot day. 

Reminds me of the story about Diesel equipment used to build the Alaskan highway they use to build a fire under the engine block to get them warm enough  to start.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

mine88

• Kingston On Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 01:13:47 PM »
I have a 2013 fuel injected model and have never had starting problems. Some times it sits outside for 2 weeks not running.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 01:47:27 PM »
I have a 2013 fuel injected model and have never had starting problems. Some times it sits outside for 2 weeks not running.
I think they get their reputation from the earlier carburetor models. Haven't tried my 2012 and 2013 FI in cold weather yet.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

wymple

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 06:12:04 PM »
I've tried it many times now on a cold motor and it always works, so I'm going with it. It was a cold & rainy 52 this morning and it fired immediately.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()