Author Topic: Riding into the pandemic....  (Read 728 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Riding into the pandemic....
« on: August 25, 2020, 03:43:51 PM »
Briefly.....

On March 3, 2020, Ohio's governor, in a move which seemed radical at the time -  cancels a large scheduled public event.
March 5, governor held a public health summit to address the COVID threat..

MARCH 3

On March 9, 2020:
a) First cases of COVID confirmed in Ohio.. Governor declares a state of emergency, asks colleges to go to online classes.

MARCH 9

MARCH 13th....it snowed.

June 18, my coffee village becomes the first Ohio community to require masks.

Some scooter people said that they thought it was immoral to ride during the pandemic. "If you crash, the EMT's and hospital workers will be pulled away from attending to the COVID patients."
Here in rural Ohio, a few 100 hospital workers were being laid-off due to the pandemic. So I rode....and masked...and distanced....and still didn't crash.

Stig
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 10:21:28 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Riding into the pandemic....
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 05:21:05 PM »
If people stayed home and didn't support your coffee shop it probably would be closed by now. Over 1200 restaurants have closed permanently in New York and probably more to follow.  I made a point of supporting local businesses (safely ) during the pandemic.  These businesses are people's livelihood. I also made a point to leave a generous tip as well.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 05:23:46 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 08:52:11 PM »
The question was asked over on the Vespa forum how did the "pandemic" affect your riding habits. I said ABSOLUTELY NOT AT ALL! I was nearly banned! Two guys gave me a down check and that was it!

They, the local governments and minor officials around here have siezed the opportunity to expand their powers by going full tilt on mandatory masks. There is the county mayor, a conservative, who refuses to violate his oath of office by making masks mandatory. He is about the only one.

I have marched into Walmart and Lowes and Home Depot without a mask and have yet to be challenged. I have ridden ole paint everywhere I can imagine on honey-do trips and parts chasing just like before this phoney crisis hit and intend to continue. There are people in cars wearing masks! Go figure...
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 09:29:09 PM »
Politicians get paid whether they go to work or not. Not so with the general public that depends on a paycheck.  A lot of people have lost their business and their livelihood.  I'll be glad when this is over with.

In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 09:36:30 PM »
If people stayed home and didn't support your coffee shop it probably would be closed by now. Over 1200 restaurants have closed permanently in New York and probably more to follow.  I made a point of supporting local businesses (safely ) during the pandemic.  These businesses are people's livelihood. I also made a point to leave a generous tip as well.
Yep, daughter and I into town today for my coffee & her iced-Caramelatta (or some dumb thing). Left generous tip for one of the two young ladies which  the owner was able to bring back. The shop distanced the few remaining tables - permits only 4 in at a time. All in there wear masks.
We sat at our table and chairs (which I purchased) and socialized with passersby - all of us masked up, except when sipping with masks lowered.
Folks are distancing on the sidewalks....and 95% are following the community rules on masking.
It was a nice afternoon!
Almost normal....

Major Tom
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 01:24:27 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 08:23:02 AM »
Good to see some semblance of normality returning for you Tom.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 12:04:22 PM »
Good to see some semblance of normality returning for you Tom.
We have a good appreciation for how fortunate we've been, so far - compared to the very serious struggles so many are experiencing.
My mother put her Florida condo on the market and moved here to an assisted living situation. ....just in time for the pandemic to hit.
She's been confined to the grounds for months! and is threatening to go 'over the fence' and
 head back to Florida!
Can't blame her....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

DanH

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 12:47:06 PM »
Before the coronavirus, I often caught myself doing little risk assessments for my location and activity. As a scooter rider, most trips are a series of constant risk assessments. For me, risk varies from street-to-street, city-to-city, county-to-county, and state-to-state. With coronavirus, I've just added additional factors to my risk assessments - am I protecting myself against airborne threats and am I protecting others? Just goes to show you can leave the Navy though it never leaves you.
2018 Kymco Like 200i (matte black)

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 02:58:11 PM »
Know what you mean Dan.  In the Police over here in the UK it's tagged "dynamic RA" i.e. as the situation changes then so must your RA.  Works well for two-wheelering too!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 06:05:00 PM »
To me riding seems like a safe way to pass the time . Socially distant, yet it relaxes the mind. I WISH I still had my scooter. I’d be a riding fool right about now. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 08:59:26 AM »
Too right Forbes.  Riding certainly frees the mind.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 11:17:18 AM »
Too right Forbes.  Riding certainly frees the mind.
Since I ride in the dark....lately I've not been wearing pants😊
Talk about 'feeling f r e e '!.....
No , I  still have the knee and hip pads taped on.....just skipping the trousers & Y fronts!
not Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 02:38:08 PM »
Since I ride in the dark....lately I've not been wearing pants😊
Talk about 'feeling f r e e '!.....
No , I  still have the knee and hip pads taped on.....just skipping the trousers & Y fronts!
not Stig

Reminds me of an old Morecambe & Wise (UK comedy duo from the 60's) sketch where one would say "It's nice out isn't it?"  To which the other (Morecambe I think) would respond "Yes, but you'd better put it away, there's a policeman coming!"  Oh the British love a good double entendre.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 08:14:41 PM »
One month post hip replacement. Hope the surgeon allows me to ride again soon.
Like 150i ABS

Lord Faversham

• Upper Class Twit of the Year
  • Farkhem Hall, Tittering, Middle England
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 10:25:08 AM »
Reminds me of an old Morecambe & Wise (UK comedy duo from the 60's) sketch where one would say "It's nice out isn't it?"  To which the other (Morecambe I think) would respond "Yes, but you'd better put it away, there's a policeman coming!"  Oh the British love a good double entendre.

One month post hip replacement. Hope the surgeon allows me to ride again soon.

Ah! That gag takes me back!

I have a close chum who is sadly now terminally ill and with whom my wife and I have previously spent many a happy year sailing on his boat around the UK coast.  On the occasions when just he and I were sailing together, our habitual early morning ritual used to consist of a paraphrased version of the old Eric & Ernie gag - Whilst afloat, whomsoever first arose would stick their nose out into the cockpit and if clement would announce: "Ooh! It's quite nice out!", to which the inevitable muffled retort from below would be, "Oh good, is it? In that case, I'll get mine out!". 

Without wishing to get too lavatorial, we also had another little ritual, usually exercised after a run ashore and following the inevitable half dozen or so alcoholical libations. One or other of us would usually have to clumsily blunder topsides in the middle of the night to answer a necessary call of nature, inevitably waking the other in the process prompting a joint exercise. Standing on the coaming a fathom (six feet) or so above the water, and jettisoning the liquid excesses of the evening before whilst hanging on to the shrouds for support and staring at the stars, (ensuring of course that one's aim was pointed to leeward), one or other of us would usually exclaim, "Oooh! the water is a bit cold".  This would prompt the canned response of, "yes, and the bottom is a bit gravelly too!"

Schoolboy stuff but good fun nonetheless! I'm not sure this will translate fully for our colonial cousins but I'm sure the gist will come across....
Regards

Faversham

Farkhem Hall, Tittering, Middle England.

Current Wheels:
Kymco Xciting 500i
Honda CX500
Yamaha R125
Previous:
BMW RT1100
Honda RD03 Africa Twin 750
Kawasaki GPZ500s
Derbi Terra Adventure 125
Countless Lambrettas

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()