Author Topic: There are all kinds of riders  (Read 632 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
There are all kinds of riders
« on: August 09, 2020, 11:09:47 PM »
In a parking lot...fellow pulled in on a Ducati. Sleeveless T, shorts, no helmet, no mirrors...and brakelight assembly is the size of a Snickers candy bar...and the turnsignals are part of that 3 square inches of dim light in that lense.

Stig
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 11:12:43 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
Re: There are all kinds of riders
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 02:05:16 AM »
I do my share of riding without gear, and with gear, I dress for MY comfort, not for satisfying other riders ideas

It's my personal risk assessment for conditions where and when I ride

as far as modifying the bike, stock lights and signals remain
RandyO
IBA#9560

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 05:58:02 AM »
I do my share of riding without gear, and with gear, I dress for MY comfort, not for satisfying other riders ideas

It's my personal risk assessment for conditions where and when I ride

as far as modifying the bike, stock lights and signals remain

Same here. I started enjoying “freedom” this way about 51 years  ago. I Like my freedom, and I like feeling the wind. There is no way I am going to change now.

I have seen several bad motorcycle accidents during my lifetime. Almost all those riders were wearing some of the best safety gear available - but almost all those accidents had one thing in common - reckless stupidity by the riders.
 I will ever say it is impossibly for me to get involved in an accident - but I simply do not ride a motorcycle or scooter that way.

I Bought my protective gear when I was riding motorcycles, but only used it during long trips on motorcycles. Nowadays it’s just hanging in a cupboard.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
There are all kinds of riders
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 07:40:32 AM »
Take your point guys, but would just add that in 50+ years of motorcycling/scootering, my only 2 big “offs” were (I would argue) hard if not impossible to avoid. In neither case was I riding like a loon. One was in the dark where I hit a patch of diesel on a bend and the Kawasaki ZX-7R front end washed out at 60 mph. The second was getting sideswiped by a BMW Series 7 joining the road at 50 mph on a multi-lane highway whilst I was travelling on my Yamaha FJ1200 in a straight line!

Common to both incidents was the fact I was able to get up and walk away thanks to the protective kit I had on.  I rarely ride without full gear and when I do, it is just to a local shop less than half a mile away if I’m too idle to walk and the scooter is just sitting there on the drive!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 09:56:12 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 09:33:11 AM »
Of all those potential dangers, I find "no mirrors" to be by far the scariest and most reckless. 
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 10:24:06 AM »
Of all those potential dangers, I find "no mirrors" to be by far the scariest and most reckless.
We had a thread a while back about long stem mirrors . On my People 150 all I could see on a ride was my shoulders.  I wanted to change into the left lane but could not see if a car was behind me. Instead I made a right turn and went home and ordered some longer mirrors and parked the scooter until they came in.

I have made a ride to a friend's house a few blocks away without gear. Like Neil said I'm not worried about my skills but the other driver. I'm very conservative with my riding as well but never know what the other driver will do. I don't know how many times I've had a car change lanes into one that I'm occupying.  Decades of riding have taught me to be a extremely defensive rider.  My neighbor does not wear protective gear and has been riding for decades as well, personal choice. His son was killed on a motorcycle, it was the car drivers fault but he was still just as dead.  Another guy I use to ride dirt bikes with had his son killed in Hutchison when a car blew through a stop sign. Protective gear probably would not have made a difference in either case.   I will not tell anyone how to live their life but feel more confident wearing protection.  The old saying (dress for the slide and not the ride) is my view.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 10:43:38 AM »
Depending on where I ride----good/waterproof stuff (Aerostich) and bright colored, too.  Real Hot/ Mesh jacket, good to 85-90 degrees F.  Always gloves and boots.  AND put your head in gear before you put the bike in gear.  I have survived over 1.5 million miles, also following this:  make the tires do as little work as possible.

Winter:  I like to stay warm---feather jackets as liners work fine for me.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 11:10:27 AM »
Youngster on Vespa forum likes the "clean" look, so removed the mirrors. That shop in SoCal now sells custom plugs for the mirror holes in the panel.
Anyway kid said, "if I want to see what's behind me, I'll turn and look behind me."
And he's riding through London, doing that....
I wouldn't ride through my small city doing that.. ...much less London!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 11:32:22 AM »
Recipe for disaster! I’ve ridden in London, needed mirrors and sixth sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 01:31:01 PM »
During my cycling years I was a big proponent of rear view mirrors, and was always stupefied by the number of riders without one  (about 4 out of 5), including the most prominent bicycle advocate in town.  I couldn't understand why he was so adamant against using them, while he couldn't understand why I was so insistent on their importance.

Sadly, he got clipped by a motorist from behind and was badly injured.  He's mostly recovered and back riding, but I can't help wondering if a rear view mirror would have prevented him from being hit.  Believe he now uses a mirror.

2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 01:58:46 PM »

Sadly, he got clipped by a motorist from behind and was badly injured.  He's mostly recovered and back riding, but I can't help wondering if a rear view mirror would have prevented him from being hit.  Believe he now uses a mirror.

Horse, stable door, bolted?...

By the by, I've just remembered picking up eldest lad's 2014 Chinese Keeway 125 a couple of years ago from a seller some 50 miles from us.  It came without mirrors.  That ride home was the most nerve wracking I've had for years and I've done some nutjob stuff on 2 wheels down the years.  10 miles on a motorway (Freeway) following the wife in her Landy without easily knowing what was going on behind me was truly terryfying.  First job home was ordering a set of aftermarket mirrors and fitting them!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 02:03:56 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 03:35:17 PM »
in my 50 years of riding, I've had 3 or 4 lowsides, wearing gear, and not wearing gear,  my only injuries, wasn't even moving, once, dismounting my bike, I caught my leg on the seat, fell on my face, broke my thumb, kicked the bike in the opposite direction, the other, wearing shorts, I got an exhaust burn while getting on the bike
RandyO
IBA#9560

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 10:13:49 PM »
Had a nice ride today in the 93 deg F heat and humdidity, about four stops involving dismount, remove helmet and armored gloves, armored jacket then conducting business then reassemble for ride to next stop. Comfortable whilst riding but quite hot when stopped. Skid suit has yet to perform which is fine with me! Murphy sez the first time I decide to ride in shorts and T-shirt, stuff will get gnarly and I will regret. So, I wear the suit.
Saw a Vulcan today. Nice bike! Sounds good, too. Not loud just authoritative. Had a nice chat with the rider as we were admiring the others bike!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 09:45:07 AM »
The way I see it:  I AND others on the road are HUMAN. And humans are NOT infallible whether it be momentary lapses in judgement, another motorist being careless, an unexpected road hazard, or simply other situations beyond our control .

Mirrors, lights, and protective equipment reduce the chance of accidents in the first place and increase the chances of surviving these accidents if they do occur.

In an accident ( whether avoidable or not) THE LAWS OF PHYSICS WIN

I had an accident as a result of me being a FALLIBLE human as ALL humans are no matter what we tell ourselves. When my meat and bone leg hit that aluminum sign post at (I’m guessing) 40+ mph, PHYSICS WON. But when my helmet hit the ground and gravel, and when my mesh riding jacket slid or rolled on the same graveled ground, again PHYSICS WON.

The signpost destroyed my leg. BUT the helmet and jacket overcame the gravel. As a result, I only had to replace part of a LEG . My IRREPLACEABLE head and torso were uninjured.

VERDICT: I TRY to persuade people to wear protection because Humans are on the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 10:39:56 AM »
Well said Forbes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()