Author Topic: 9 hours in a car with 3 females....some observations  (Read 496 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
9 hours in a car with 3 females....some observations
« on: August 05, 2020, 11:40:42 AM »
I am known to be a slow driver.
But I saw 80 on the speedo a few times. Which is an indication of something.
And Cincinnati is just lovely at quitting time, even more fun than 'starting time' -- which I didn't think was possible. .
ONLY listen to Betty, on the Sat-Nav...and none of the other female voices.
4 legged females need fewer "rest stops" than do the 2 legged variety.
I am the only American who even tries to drive the speed limit.
My countrymen see those signs as "the minimum permissable speeds".
And, finally...do not buy a used silver Grand Caravan with California plates and cookie crumbs in the middle seats and Moon Pie leavings on the steering wheel, from Budget. I destroyed the transmission in it in the Smokys. And the brakes will be a little sporty, as well.

Major Tom

I gave Dino a hug this morning when he handed me my first decent cup of coffee in a week.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 11:47:59 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 9 hours in a car with 3 females....some observations
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 12:56:06 PM »
the last time I took a 5 hour trip with females, it took me 7 hours, and I'm the one with a prostate issue?????
RandyO
IBA#9560

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 02:36:17 PM »
It's been several years ago before cell phones since I went on a cross country trip California to Missouri with  two young  teenage girls ( nieces). Somewhere  West of Salt Lake city I remember slamming on the brakes and in my most demonic voice yelling get out. This brought me 30 minutes of silence. I was in a new Nissan Sentra and had it floored the entire trip for its breakin. My sister took over driving East of Denver and received the first  and only (so far) speeding ticket of her life for doing 70 in a 55.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 12:23:44 AM »
I find this thread sexist.   

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 09:06:57 AM »
Never really struggled with women driving on long or short journeys.

I'm a crap driver myself so most people seem pretty good to me.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 10:37:02 AM »
Most women I know are very good drivers but tend to want to stop frequently for refreshments and therefore potty brakes more often.  Where men tend to drive straight through not wanting to stop for anything.  I guess it brings balance to the drive.  My post was more about young kids getting bored on long trips, especially before electronics for entertainment.  I used my nieces for example because my sister had two girls. Stupid to think this post is sexist or derogatory. 

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 11:47:22 AM »
Anyone thinks women can't drive well, how about the 12 most famous woman in racing: 12 Sara Christian 11 Sara Fisher 10 Janet Guthrie 9 Katherine Leggett 8 Sabine Schmitt 7 Michele Mouton 6 Christina Nielsen 5 Lyn St. James 4 Milka Duno 3 Erica Enders Stevens 2 Danica Patrick 1 Shirley Muldowney.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 11:59:14 AM »
Since this is  scooter forum I'll bring up my all time favorite as one tough woman,  Read up on Bessie Stringfield.  She was the first woman to ride to all 48 states in the 1930's on her Harley. This was before paved roads or bike shops everywhere and to even add more to the challenge she was black women facing racism.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 12:08:42 PM »
Another good story to read is of Carl Benz the inventor of the original car. He tinkered and built the first car thinking more of it as a novelty. It took his wife taking that car to visit her mother and it took off from there.  Men were intimidated by the car. When his wife could drive and work on the car it took off in popularity.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 01:41:30 PM »
Anyone thinks women can't drive well, how about the 12 most famous woman in racing: 12 Sara Christian 11 Sara Fisher 10 Janet Guthrie 9 Katherine Leggett 8 Sabine Schmitt 7 Michele Mouton 6 Christina Nielsen 5 Lyn St. James 4 Milka Duno 3 Erica Enders Stevens 2 Danica Patrick 1 Shirley Muldowney.
You left out my grandmother.
She was one fast grand-MOTHER' !
We lived in Columbus Ohio, my father's mother worked at Wright Patterson AFB and lived near Dayton, Ohio.....maybe 50 miles away.
She'd call my Dad to let him know she was coming to visit.

I' don't know all the particulars --- since I was about 10 yrs old - but I remember looking out the window when my granny would come smoking to a stop in that monster white "Wide-Track" Pontiac Bonneville.
And my father, being a career navigator in the U.S.byDam AirForce….knew that there was NO way she could negotiate a 50 mile drive in 31 mins AND be driving the speed limit!! There was always a lot of noise and arm waving as my granny calmly got her birthday presents out of that massive trunk.

She had me behind the Pontiac's wheel when I was about 8*....and sent me for eggs when I was maybe 10. I got that thing air-borne on a culvert coming home with the eggs.....and still have nightmares. Been a slow driver ever since.

Anyway....my granny was one H of a driver. Apparently.

Stig

*"stop under that tree honey, and we'll let your brother have a try."
Who knew about power brakes?!
I drove up to that tree and mashed the brake peddle. I was able to hang onto the steering wheel - just.
My brother hit the back of my seat, and granny went under the dash board.
She came out from under there laughing like crazy. "Honey! not so much squeezin' on the pedal!!"
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 01:54:59 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 04:32:58 PM »
I have never really had issue with women drivers, yes, some of em, but no more often than incompetent men drivers,   I just don't like the stop every 50 miles routine, when you're not on a sight seeing tour, yer just trying to get somewhere 
RandyO
IBA#9560

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 12:43:54 AM »
My heart goes out to you. THREE seems to be the tipping point. My mother and two of my three sisters live locally. And we often travel on out of town trips together. I can travel drama free with ANY one or two of them. My mother alone, either sister alone, both sisters, or ONE sister and my mother. But when ALL THREE are in the car for more than 3 hours. Ages : Mother, 89, sisters 65 and 63. OH BOY! I was persuaded to accompany them on a 400 mile trip where we spent 5 DAYS together. I won’t say NEVER again. But it’s not on my To do list. [emoji23][emoji23]. What gets me is that after each trip they seem to forget the drama and proceed to plan another trip with their “baby brother” accompanying them to assist in the driving/ refereeing.
2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()