Author Topic: So, when will we hear about 2021 models?  (Read 3734 times)

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
So, when will we hear about 2021 models?
« on: July 27, 2020, 03:34:27 PM »
By this point in the year, most of the talk in the automotive industry is about 2021 models that will be hitting showrooms in coming months. Seem the new Ford Bronco and Bronco Sport (both really sharp-looking, IMO) have been the big buzz of late.

Anyway, what time of year does Kymco typically put out information on the new model year? I am thinking about purchasing my first scooter in the spring, and I am wondering if there will be anything new and/or different than the current lineup.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

souzamoto

• View Profile
Re: So, when will we hear about 2021 models?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 04:21:53 PM »
Usually September-October
Most OEM's look at the dealers inventory and in their own inventory then make a decision when to bring the next year models.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 05:27:59 PM »
This is not a normal year.  Don't be surprised if things are delayed this year.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 06:16:06 PM »
This is not a normal year.  Don't be surprised if things are delayed this year.

You may be right about that!
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 07:32:52 PM »
I think I remember reading about the new LIKE150i ABS in 2016.
I was in there walking around asking about the Kymco that was named the "Scooter of the Year". Sales youngster said he'd mention that to the owner of this mega dealer shop.

Frankly - I don't blame this shop in The Middle of Nowhere Ohio for not having the latest Kymco…..we ain't exactly SoCal scooter world here. I feel lucky they still offer a Kymco.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 04:15:17 AM »
I was at my local full line powersports dealer on Friday to order some Kymco parts (they carry about everything but Harley) and I was a little shocked to hear the young guy at the parts counter yell out to a co worker, "Hey, can we still order Kymco parts?"  The co worker said yes, we can. I asked if they were still carrying Kymco and he said he thought so, as he recalled them selling a few kids 4 wheelers this year from Kymco. There wasn't a single Kymco in stock.

Although to be fair, there wasn't a whole lot of anything in stock. They started this Spring bursting at the seams with inventory of all kinds. It looked like they'd sold about 80% of their inventory. the parts guy said it's been a good year.

They carry the Big 4 Japanese plus Triumph, BMW, Royal Enfield, CF Moto, Polaris and Kymco. I enjoy my visits there with all the different bikes to look at and sit on.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 10:06:04 AM »
Local dealer near me is just about completely out of inventory, went down Friday to pick up a windscreen bracket.  I literally have more bikes and scooter's then they do.

They only carry the agality line of scooters from Kymco, he said the large machines don't sell well around here. He will order in anything you want that he carries the product line.

The shop is still full of repair work and completely packed. Glad to see them have a good year. They about went under during the crash of 2008.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 12:55:55 PM »
Big shakeups at a lot of dealerships as a result of Covid-19 I think?  We have seen the liquidation of one small (Kymco among others) family dealership near us that was founded between the wars!  Sad to see an old shop like this fold, but I only hope it means a realignment rather than another nail in the coffin of 2-wheeler owner and ridership.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 01:25:13 PM »
Big shakeups at a lot of dealerships as a result of Covid-19 I think?  We have seen the liquidation of one small (Kymco among others) family dealership near us that was founded between the wars!  Sad to see an old shop like this fold, but I only hope it means a realignment rather than another nail in the coffin of 2-wheeler owner and ridership.
Neil I don't understand this, bike shops around here are having very good sales. Even the distributors are out of inventory to send to the dealers and they are waiting on the 2021 models to arrive.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 02:03:34 PM »
was 2020 bike production interrupted around the world?  That would seem to be the main explanation for the lack of inventory (along with increased sales).
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 03:02:58 PM »
Neil I don't understand this, bike shops around here are having very good sales. Even the distributors are out of inventory to send to the dealers and they are waiting on the 2021 models to arrive.
Hard to say the reason for the small dealership I cited KK.  It was in an out of the way place, but still managed to do OK for 80+ years so why go under now?  Maybe the old boy just decided to retire and couldn't sell as a going concern. 

I do hope that the fear of using public transport does force up the sales of commuter bikes and scooters here - in my experience, get them hooked on 2 wheels and they'll move on up the capacity rankings thus keeping sales alive all round.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 03:14:33 PM »
was 2020 bike production interrupted around the world?  That would seem to be the main explanation for the lack of inventory (along with increased sales).
I don't think they even considered record sales and probably working on 2021 models for distribution now.

What does concern the dealer is sales will fall like rock with people who already purchased that plan on doing so.

In my area the hot items are UTV'S. Kind of crazy with the price over 20k. 

20k would pay for my entire Kymco scooter collection, LOL.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 07:30:59 PM »
Hard to say the reason for the small dealership I cited KK.  It was in an out of the way place, but still managed to do OK for 80+ years so why go under now?  Maybe the old boy just decided to retire and couldn't sell as a going concern. 

I do hope that the fear of using public transport does force up the sales of commuter bikes and scooters here - in my experience, get them hooked on 2 wheels and they'll move on up the capacity rankings thus keeping sales alive all round.
You asked why after 80+ years so I will give my tangential to the main subject opinion: inflation, mainly as well as wide variety of inexpensive cars. Inflation because you have "funny money" like we in the US. Plated copper zinc core pennies, bi-metal, phony silvery coins except the 5 cent coin, the nickel. Add in deficit spending by a liberal government and the currency becomes worth less. I am guessing about the cheaper cars but over here there are less people interested in riding two wheels. Gasoline has been stable since March this year around 2 dollars US/ gallon. That's about 1.5 pounds to you if I did that right. Never could get that straight as well as the "stones-furlong per micro fortnight" antiquated engineering we have!

Another thing that may drive out independents is the increasing complexity in electrical and smog systems....test gear very expensive.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2020, 11:13:51 AM »
Karl, I certainly take your point on the availability of cheap cars.  Sub £1K will score you a reliable (for a year or so) car over here, whereas if you add together training, kit, and bike purchase then you're probably over a grand already.  You'd need to be keen on 2 wheels in the first place to even take that route!

Are we gonna be the last generation that enthusiatically embraces bikes & scooters?  I hope not.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 12:31:36 PM »
The younger generation has also shunned autos as well.  A lot of young people see a vehicle as a unnecessary expense.  Purchase price, maintance,  fuel, insurance and tags and taxes along with a place to park it in large cities. Vehicle ownership is in decline especially in large cities where there is adequate public transportation. Not to mention the use of online communication where they no longer need to go to a friend's house to visit.
Times are definitely changing.

Just thinking about my dad's generation going from a horse and buggy to cars and motorcycles.  Dad's first car was a model T.  His generation seen the advent of airplanes to a man landing on the moon.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()