Author Topic: starter Motor Issues  (Read 690 times)

Butch1978

• View Profile
starter Motor Issues
« on: June 14, 2020, 10:31:01 AM »
I have got a 2009 super 9 AC! The electric start packed in a while ago! So I thought I would finally try and fix it! The first thing I done was charged the battery to ensure it had enough power in it! The battery currently registers 12.3 volts! After the battery was charged that didn’t seem to work! Although I did hear the electric start relay clicking! So I brought a new one, thinking it was possibly the relay! Same problem 😂😂! So I moved on to the starter motor! The motor is getting power and registers around 7.5 volts when the electric start button is pushed! So Atleast it’s getting power! I have removed the starter motor to ensure the spindle moves freely and it does! I have hooked up the starter motor to a battery and connected a negative and positive source and the starter motor spins! Any ideas??? As I can’t really understand why it won’t work! As it’s getting power from the battery, the electric switch seems to work! But it won’t turn over when it’s reconnected! Should the starter motor be getting more volts? As it was tested directly from the battery!
Please help as my head is hurting from all the scratching 😂😂

eamartin

• View Profile
Re: starter Motor Issues
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 11:31:05 AM »
How good is your battery? How old is it?  Have you tried jumping with another battery?

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 11:42:20 AM »
The voltage readings you get do not mean much - you need to get a proper load test done find out whether the battery is faulty or not.. A faulty battery can still give a voltage reading while it is not able to hold power under load any longer.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Butch1978

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 12:28:19 PM »
Problem solved! Turns out the spade connector to the starter motor needed replacing! Starts like a dream now! Thanks for all your input! Hopefully this may help someone else out! Happy times no more kick start (well for the time being 😂😂)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()