Author Topic: Kymco Superdink seat locked  (Read 1268 times)

Mourad279

• View Profile
Kymco Superdink seat locked
« on: April 28, 2020, 09:15:05 AM »
Hi Folks. I have a kymco superdink 125, 2016. The seat is blocked and I cannot open it. I have been told it is a common problem on the Kymcos. Is this correct? How do I change the cable? Thanks for your help and advice. Mou

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco Superdink seat locked
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 11:23:19 AM »
Finally found an owners manual pdf to see you have a machine very similar to the Downtown series which does have this problem! To open, turn forks full right, get a flashlight/electric torch and look to the underside. Identify the mechanical cable exiting the bottom of the ignition switch. Pull steadily and firmly on that until you hear the click of the seat latches opening.

Then disassemble the scooter and lube this cable with silicone lubricant. See my post on this topic.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Fogie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 02:17:15 PM »
Are you sure it isn't simply overload of the under seat storage area? I find that, if I pack too much stuff in there, the upward pressure on the seat pan makes it difficult for the latch to release. Try applying downward pressure on the seat, while holding the key in the release position.
2012 Kymco Frost (Yager) 200i - Toronto, Canada

Mourad279

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 02:30:22 PM »
Finally found an owners manual pdf to see you have a machine very similar to the Downtown series which does have this problem! To open, turn forks full right, get a flashlight/electric torch and look to the underside. Identify the mechanical cable exiting the bottom of the ignition switch. Pull steadily and firmly on that until you hear the click of the seat latches opening.

Then disassemble the scooter and lube this cable with silicone lubricant. See my post on this topic.

Thanks Carl. I will give it a go and will let you know. With re: changing the cable, if it is faulty, could you pls direct me to the right page of your posts? Thanks

Mourad279

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 02:31:46 PM »
Are you sure it isn't simply overload of the under seat storage area? I find that, if I pack too much stuff in there, the upward pressure on the seat pan makes it difficult for the latch to release. Try applying downward pressure on the seat, while holding the key in the release position.

Will try this. Even though, I tried sitting on it and it did not work!!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 04:11:26 PM »
I don't think you will have to replace the cable. Give me a while and I will TRY to send you the link...

https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=29436.msg205003#msg205003

It is the third post from the top, my post, the one with the pictures.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 04:40:37 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 10:48:07 PM »
The seat problem on the Downtown was poor design: two latches with two cables operated off a single source, the ignition switch. Eventually one cable becomes too loose, the other too tight. My simple solution: remove one latch bracket from the seat pan. Two latches is overkill! If your bike has two latches that's my advice: remove one! If your bike has only one latch then you need to adjust the cable length. Try pounding your fist on the rear of the seat to get it to open then you probably have a turnbuckle adjuster somewhere under the seat. 
2009 GV 250

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 10:52:31 PM »
P.S. I forgot to say: First turn the key all the way counter clockwise, then bang on the seat with your fist. Hopefully...it will open.
2009 GV 250

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 01:19:58 AM »
P.P.S. Once you get the seat open do not close it! Use a screw driver to push the latch closed and adjust the cable (making it shorter) until turning the key opens it.  Then you close the seat and test it.
2009 GV 250

Mourad279

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 08:18:02 AM »
The seat problem on the Downtown was poor design: two latches with two cables operated off a single source, the ignition switch. Eventually one cable becomes too loose, the other too tight. My simple solution: remove one latch bracket from the seat pan. Two latches is overkill! If your bike has two latches that's my advice: remove one! If your bike has only one latch then you need to adjust the cable length. Try pounding your fist on the rear of the seat to get it to open then you probably have a turnbuckle adjuster somewhere under the seat.

I have the Superdink. It has 2 latches. I had a problem with both latches 1 month ago, not opening the seat. Took it to Mechanic. He stripped the whole body off, loosened the cable and €200 later, it worked. Now I have the same problem but only 1 latch opening. I spoke with the mechanic again who advised me that I needed to change the cable. I do not like the idea of being charged $200 again so, since I am on Lockdown, I decided to deal with it myself. So your recommendation is lock one latch and having the seat operational with one latch only. This is providing I can open it

Mourad279

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 08:24:16 AM »

I tried it last night. It didn't work.  :(

Mourad279

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 09:31:56 AM »
P.S. I forgot to say: First turn the key all the way counter clockwise, then bang on the seat with your fist. Hopefully...it will open.

Sorry. Tried it but t didnt work :(

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 10:52:21 AM »
Did you try releasing it yet? That turn the forks right reach under and pull cable procedure....
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Mourad279

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 12:22:23 PM »
Did you try releasing it yet? That turn the forks right reach under and pull cable procedure....

Tried Karl but it didn't work. Maybe the Superdink is different to the downtown?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 02:16:17 PM »
Not with that ignition switch! Same-o, same-o! Pull harder along axis of cable.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()