Author Topic: LED headlight bulb switchout for 2007 GV 25  (Read 3477 times)

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
LED headlight bulb switchout for 2007 GV 25
« on: April 20, 2020, 02:45:36 PM »
Hi -

I just bought a sweet, used 2007 GV 250, and just joined the Kymco forum.  I'm wondering if anyone with a similar year and model has switched out the halogen headlamps for LED?  If so, what did you need to buy, and how easy or difficult was it to do.

Thanks so much.

Jeff

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: LED headlight bulb switchout for 2007 GV 25
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 03:27:30 PM »
I tried LED replacements in the Downtown and rejected them because beam patterns were unsatifactory. They would have blinded oncoming drivers. The DT300i has two reflector and two projector lights. Yours is a reflector, I think.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 10:38:05 AM »
Thanks!

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 06:07:34 AM »
  it is a bulb switch only,  what may work is a H I D light as the filament is in the same place, I tried all and only thing that worked was install L E D spot lights as the reflector in the head light is not good for a bike ,   my scoot is kymco downtown 300

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 09:23:29 AM »
Thanks for the info.  You answered my question about whether a conversion kit was necessary.

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 06:17:15 AM »
Hi -

I just bought a sweet, used 2007 GV 250, and just joined the Kymco forum.  I'm wondering if anyone with a similar year and model has switched out the halogen headlamps for LED?  If so, what did you need to buy, and how easy or difficult was it to do.

Thanks so much.

Jeff

Here is an updated video of upgrading the bulb in the Grandvista:

I did with this one from Amazon and it fits perfect and the pattern in both hi / low is perfect - as long as the plastics are installed correctly you will be blown away with the results. 

MZS H4 LED Headlight Bulb Single for Motorcycle,9003 HB2 Mini Conversion Kit - CREE Chips - 6500K 5000Lm Extremely Bright

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BFPQMGH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 05:05:21 AM by mrbios »
PaulC

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 09:24:57 PM »
Thanks!

Forefronts

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 07:44:23 PM »
Related question as I have not yet needed to replace my bulb.
I installed a high/low flashing unit in my 2005 Grandvista 250.
Will the LED work in as the halogen did?

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 03:15:20 AM »
I don't know but I think that would probably damage it what I would recommend is use the LED which has something like four times the output of that halogen bulb and if you really need something flashing you could just set up a halogen light and mounted on the fender or something and then hook up the Flasher to that I think the LED is just one of the best upgrades you can possibly do to the Grand Vista
PaulC

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 09:41:35 PM »
Hi Paul -

I brought up the link to the LED bulb you referenced in an earlier reply, and when I put in my year, make and model info, Amazon stated that the bulb would not fit my 2007 GV 250.  Did the bulb fit your GV without any problems?

Thanks.

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 01:24:47 AM »
Hi Paul -

I brought up the link to the LED bulb you referenced in an earlier reply, and when I put in my year, make and model info, Amazon stated that the bulb would not fit my 2007 GV 250.  Did the bulb fit your GV without any problems?

Thanks.

Yes absolutely.  Amazon's system is designed to ensure that a particular vehicle or scooter is listed for a part.  This part is universal in nature so no one is going to go back and test every possible vehicle that it might fit.  I posted a review on amazon for this bulb an listed my Grandvista.

The nice this about this design and why it costs a little more than other LED's is that the design is compact for motorcycles and scooters and has the special removable base (the three prongs on the flat plate) making it easy to install even if there isn't much room once the headlight assembly is put back together. 

If you download this link to my google drive you will see the rest of the pictures:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19gJUOVjRMBs1YDm1EEvC33QsQgDjbZ0C?usp=sharing

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 01:31:43 AM by mrbios »
PaulC

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 01:52:00 PM »
Yes absolutely.  Amazon's system is designed to ensure that a particular vehicle or scooter is listed for a part.  This part is universal in nature so no one is going to go back and test every possible vehicle that it might fit.  I posted a review on amazon for this bulb an listed my Grandvista.

The nice this about this design and why it costs a little more than other LED's is that the design is compact for motorcycles and scooters and has the special removable base (the three prongs on the flat plate) making it easy to install even if there isn't much room once the headlight assembly is put back together. 

If you download this link to my google drive you will see the rest of the pictures:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19gJUOVjRMBs1YDm1EEvC33QsQgDjbZ0C?usp=sharing

No worries about heat building in that plastic headlight on a hot summer day  - since a scooter light is on constantly?
Any warning that the fan has quit on this Chinese light inside that small enclosed space? Headlight assemblies aren't well ventilated....seems heat would just be recirculating in that assembly.
Stig
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 01:59:52 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 12:28:53 AM »
No worries about heat building in that plastic headlight on a hot summer day  - since a scooter light is on constantly?
Any warning that the fan has quit on this Chinese light inside that small enclosed space? Headlight assemblies aren't well ventilated....seems heat would just be recirculating in that assembly.
Stig

Stig, you have to stop asking tough questions lol.  The heat issue is a strange one.... LED's use less power than the oem halogen lamp 30W vs 55/60W AND there is limited air circulation so the bulb gets quite hot but.... Halogen bulbs can tolerate much more heat than LED's which require on computer circuits....

The LED does get hot (just think of an LED headlamp - can get hot enough to make your forhead sweat and it is using way less power than the scooter bulb.  So the solution is heat sinks on the circuits that power the LED AND a fan.  If that fan stops I'm sure the bulb will burn up and there is no warning as I have stopped the fan with my finger - might be worth adding a high pitched fan failure alarm.

Bottom line:
the fan has been running perfect first in the scooter then I moved it over to my Honda NC700X motorcycle so it is about 1 year old and about 2,500 miles with no issues.  Worth doing yes - huge 4X the light output and works perfect in HI and LOW on the grand vista but on my Honda you must choose as turning it on way or the other will make HI good or LOW good but not both.  One mode HI or LOW will project an unfocused beam pattern.  This is the result of the way the LED's make focused light where Halogens seem to project light equally in all directions more uniformly without needing a diffuser like LED's do.

Again - in my opinion the single best upgrade for the grandvista of any accessory - so much good focused and bright light at night that the oem bulb is like driving by street lights only.  So powerful it can reflect off speed limit sighs at night an hurt you eyes with the intensity!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 12:30:50 AM by mrbios »
PaulC

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 12:57:49 AM »
Always kinda wondered about fan vs. non-fan LEDs
Fanless success may well rely on air flow through the bulb area.
I've been running these fanless ones in a couple SYMs for a year or so.  No issues (knock on wood)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHD78DQ/

The difference in light and spare power is notable.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 01:09:12 AM »
Stig, you have to stop asking tough questions lol.  The heat issue is a strange one.... LED's use less power than the oem halogen lamp 30W vs 55/60W AND there is limited air circulation so the bulb gets quite hot but.... Halogen bulbs can tolerate much more heat than LED's which require on computer circuits....

The LED does get hot (just think of an LED headlamp - can get hot enough to make your forhead sweat and it is using way less power than the scooter bulb.  So the solution is heat sinks on the circuits that power the LED AND a fan.  If that fan stops I'm sure the bulb will burn up and there is no warning as I have stopped the fan with my finger - might be worth adding a high pitched fan failure alarm.

Bottom line:
the fan has been running perfect first in the scooter then I moved it over to my Honda NC700X motorcycle so it is about 1 year old and about 2,500 miles with no issues.  Worth doing yes - huge 4X the light output and works perfect in HI and LOW on the grand vista but on my Honda you must choose as turning it on way or the other will make HI good or LOW good but not both.  One mode HI or LOW will project an unfocused beam pattern.  This is the result of the way the LED's make focused light where Halogens seem to project light equally in all directions more uniformly without needing a diffuser like LED's do.

Again - in my opinion the single best upgrade for the grandvista of any accessory - so much good focused and bright light at night that the oem bulb is like driving by street lights only.  So powerful it can reflect off speed limit sighs at night an hurt you eyes with the intensity!
OK - your experience convinced me.
No worries with this bulb!
Stig😊
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()