Author Topic: Headlight drains battery (not charging)  (Read 1928 times)

JaysDetailing

• View Profile
Headlight drains battery (not charging)
« on: March 26, 2020, 09:16:10 AM »
I have a 2008 Kymco People S 200 Scooter. I have replaced the Stator, Regulator and Battery. I have checked all charging system wiring and did find a short in the Stator 2P connector. After fixing the Stator connector the scooter reads 12.5 volts when running with headlight connected then drops down to 11.7+- volts when I increase RPM's.
When I disconnect the headlight I read 13.5 at idle and 14 plus volts when I increase RPM'S. could the control lighting relay cause this issue? Please Help I am confused.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
Re: Headlight drains battery (not charging)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 12:44:30 PM »
Being a 12 year old scooter I think it would make sense to make sure the battery terminals (on the cables) are clean and the engine is properly earthed to the battery. A bad earth to the battery can cause such a problem.

The battery is new but are you sure the battery is fully charged ? Batteries hardly ever are fully charged when it comes off the shelve. Specially on a scooter I think a new battery should be charged before installation.
If it has not been charged properly and your scooter has a DC CDI, I think as a result of faster engine speed, more voltage will be drawn from the battery for feeding the CDI. Because the faster the engine speed -I think the more power “draw” from the battery.

Another possibility that I can think of  - DC CDI’s have one or more capacitors inside the CDI’s. Capacitors never last for ever, and I think if your scooter has a DC CDI there is a possibility that a capacitor inside the CDI might be on it’s way out.
If your scooter has an AC CDI, this will obviously not applicable.

Not sure if this will help.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 12:45:21 AM »
Heck, I'm just glad to see a new post in the S 200 section! Not able to help with your problem...my own 2010 has a parasitic draw that killed 2 batteries so I resorted to just unhooking the battery between rides (I ride pretty infrequently)..solved the problem.

Sounds like you're isolating your issue... hope someone else comes along with advice.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 03:10:12 AM »
Disclaimer: I ain't a wiring guru, I'll defer to anyone who is... My S200 had no electrical issues while I owned it. Fun bike.
RE: LCM.
I guess it'd be odd if the LCM is causing the drop, but if it's fried just wrong..Maybe?  It does change as things rev up so it would seem plausible at least in that regard.

I'd have to look at it myself to do so, but bypassing it shouldn't be impossible, probably easy & it wouldn't hurt.  Then rev it up and see if the problem still exists.

2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

JaysDetailing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 08:14:13 AM »
Thank you everyone for responding to my post. Scooterfan I actually have a new CDI on its way to me that I already ordered because the price was cheap and parts are expensive and hard to find for this model scooter. I originally thought myself the CDI may be the problem but when I called my local scooter shop they said that's not possible. I think they assumed it had a A.C. CDI not a DC. So I will try that when it gets here and hope it works. I did charge the battery before installing it and have checked all terminals and grounds so if the CDI does not fix it I will try Tromper's idea bypassing the Lighting control relay. 

JaysDetailing

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 09:16:38 AM »
So I received a new CDI yesterday in hope that would fix my charging issue but no such luck. I also bypassed the lighting control relay to see if that would fix it but stll no luck. I have another brand new battery on order to try next. It is just such a frustrating problem I have replaced everything and checked all wiring. If it's not the battery maybe I got a bad regulator retrifier. I did test the regulator I get 12v constont on the red, 12 volt with key on black, green good ground, pink 6 volt DC when running and yellow 6 volt DC when running. Does that seen correct?

JaysDetailing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 08:22:33 AM »
If the new battery does not fix it could it be I received a bad regulator retrifier?

CALtd-SLO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 08:51:38 PM »
I did test the regulator I get 12v constont on the red, 12 volt with key on black, green good ground, pink 6 volt DC when running and yellow 6 volt DC when running. Does that seen correct?

The 6V DC seems wrong to me but I don't know. Where are you accessing pink and yellow wires? If I don't have to remove too much to get to them, I am willing to test my 2007 People S200.

JaysDetailing

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 11:26:43 AM »
I was testing the pink and yellow wire by back probing the Regulator Retrifier located behind the front panal. Fairly easy to remove on bolt on the front that has a red cap covering it and 6 screws on the back. Then the bottom has to be gently pryed apart to separate it. If you choose to do it great Thanks if not no big deal I tottaly understunderstand.

cleanerman

• Upper East TENNESSEE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 05:06:36 PM »
Did you get it figured out?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2009 People S200, 2007 Honda
 Reflex, 2018 Vespa GTS300 Super

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()