Author Topic: New scooter  (Read 906 times)

mine88

• Kingston On Canada
    • View Profile
New scooter
« on: March 19, 2020, 05:36:36 PM »
Just bought gold 2013 500RI good price and only has 6500 kms. I was wonder if there is anything I should be checking or watching out for?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: New scooter
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 06:18:11 PM »
Have you read the threads on this forum about that model?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 06:50:45 PM »
Many folks research something after they become a proud new owner.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 08:20:37 PM »
Yeah, that's me!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

mine88

• Kingston On Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 01:21:33 PM »
Yes I read the treads but I was asking if there was anything really important to look out for as this is my first scooter. I have had many motorcycles in the past starting with a 1975 honda cb175 in high school and the last one was a 1980 cb900 honda custom that i had for 20 years.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 04:08:59 PM »
Hard start. Starter drops voltage so much the ECU won't spark the plug.
Vacuum vent valve to gas tank sticks shut (all brands, all models).
Marginal stator and regulator/rectifier. Al r/r are shorting type. Replace with series r/r.
Cam erosion due to lack of oil flow to one end of cam OR poor heat treat (primarily 500 cc engines).

That is generally the mass collection of complaints over the years I have read about all the models of Kymco 500 machines. I have never owned one but read nearly every post. Seems like most 500 owners get discouraged by getting stranded and never getting to ride because it's in the shop and those guys seem unable to fix them and Kymco is unwilling to redesign. Personally, were I younger, I would do a "restoration" of one to actually FIX some of the shortcomings. It would be like that BSA I restored in the 70's as a reliable daily rider. It can be done.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 05:26:08 PM »
I think the most important question would be “ does the engine start - and if so, what is engine performance like on the road ?”.
If the engine starts easily and performs well, it might mot make sense to be concerned about anything.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

mine88

• Kingston On Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 01:22:31 AM »
It started up and seem to run well but was in shop. Drove it around parking lot. Weather is not warm enough to go far.

Tom Moy

• My 500Ri
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 02:38:56 PM »
I have a 2008 500ri that I bought in 2009 and unlike all reports I have seen on the two forums I monitor I have not had any problem in the 11 years I have owned it.
I would state that I always plug my Kymco into a Deltran trickle charger so I have never had a problem with starting, I did have to buy a new battery last year. But I figure that replacing a battery after 10 years is not bad as I have had more frequent battery replacement on the cars I have owned in my lifetime.

I did however, make a major conversion on the Kymco after I had owned it for 3 years. I added a permanent side car so my wife did not have to ride two up as she did not like sitting behind. We have enjoyed the many trips we have taken over the last seven years. Mind you since we live in Canada we do not generally ride from November to April as the weather and temperture are not pleasant at that time of year.

I maintain it by having the oil and filter changed every spring as well as wash and wax it at least once a season or more if road conditions dictate a more frequent schedule. I love my Kymco 500 and hope to keep riding for another half dozen years or so.

I guess I was lucky in my purchase of my Kymco scooter as I am definitely not mechanically inclined so I have relied on my dealer for all my servicing. and while he no longer sells scooters his service is great. The dealer has always sold Urals that come with sidecars and British Enfield Motorcycles he has helped me keep my scooter in good running order.

I am sure you will enjoy your scooter as much as I have.

mine88

• Kingston On Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 04:44:32 PM »
Thanks for all the help hope this one is as good as yours. I was looking for a piagio bv250 or 300 but price on the Kymco was to good to passup.

Tom Moy

• My 500Ri
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 04:31:12 PM »
I am sure once the weather gets better and we weather this Covid 19 issue you will enjoy riding your Kymco 500 Ri.

Hoping for a good warm summer so we can bike to Kingston for a visit to my sister in-law. Always enjoy the ride along Highway 2 through Prince Edward County.
Perhaps we touch base with one another to compare rides come July if things get better than the restrictions we are currently under.

Regards Tom Moy

mine88

• Kingston On Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 02:31:58 PM »
Hopeful the weather warms up and we get pandemic under control . I just retired and bought scooter to enjoy not be a problem.This Kymco is originally from Toronto sold by Studio Cycle.

curiosul

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 08:09:51 PM »
I bought a 2009 500Ri last November from a dealer after riding it for one minute in a parking lot.
It had 6.5k miles, an unknown number of previous owners, trouble starting and a check engine light.
Qualifies almost as "sight unseen". Price was good, came with extras so I bit the bullet.

What I did is just the basic maintenance whether it was needed or not:
Engine oil and filter, transmission oil, sparkplug, air filter, check the coolant, a bottle of Techron (or your choice of fuel system cleaner), check tire pressure, open the CVT and check if everything is in order.

I erased the code (it was an injector code) and it never came back.
The hard start lingered for a while but after riding about 1k, it seems like it's no longer there. the coldest start was at ~35F and it started almost instantly.
One thing I noticed though: if it doesn't start after half a second of cranking, it won't. What I learned to do is barely tapping the starter button (enough for 2-3 revolutions of the engine). Even if the battery is not too good, being patient and just trying this will eventually start it.

A (good quality) trickle charger HELPS A LOT if you don't ride it often. Both for starting and battery longevity.

Optional is "modding" the CVT. With stock variator, it seemed to have some flat sports in the rollers meaning it would "start in 2nd" and wouldn't "shift in top gear" (7k at 75mph and past redline before 85mph)
After installing the Malossi variator (and clutch spring), it changed significantly: it would "start in first gear" and it would behave a lot more like a CVT (full throttle would stay at 7k and smoothly accelerate). The highway RPMs would be ok (6-6.5k at 75mph).
Because I ride a lot on the highway without the need to accelerate a lot, I wanted something different. I installed Dr. Pulley 28x22 Sliding Roller Weights. What happened was just like changing to a longer final drive. Now it "starts in 2nd gear" but the highway RPMs are almost perfect (5.5k at 75mph). I would only recommend them ONLY if you do most of your riding on the highway.

Also optional is an aftermarket (larger) windshield (especially in cold weather) and one of those plastic "throttle control" thingy. Both very good on the highway, not that good in the city or small roads.

Other than that, there are small things like LED bulbs wherever possible, reconditioning the black plastics, greasing the parking brake mechanism, keeping it clean etc.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()