Author Topic: Night Rain Riding & Zen  (Read 892 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Night Rain Riding & Zen
« on: February 05, 2020, 12:02:57 PM »
 PinLock is great! Stopped all but some light fogging inside the face shield.

Magic water repelling stuff for the face shield does not seem to exist - or if it does, it doesn't last long. A swipe with the left glove as needed works just fine.

Actually kind of a Zen Thing riding in rain - in pitch black - in the boonies....ear plugs in, all sealed up from the rain bouncing off your headlight and helmet....air-cooled EFI Kymco engine w/Iridium NGK purring beneath me.

People in heated cars, with 5-speed wipers and 14 cup holders don't know what they're missing😊

(not nearly as much fun in the city...car lights, flooded streets, greasy white painted arrows and stop-bars everywhere 😊)

Stig
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 12:36:18 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Night Rain Riding & Zen
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 03:28:03 PM »
Whilst I agree with you that wet-weather riding does massively improve skills for all conditions, I'm afraid my days of riding in any and every condition are largely behind me now Stig.  I'll happily ride in downpours if caught by one whilst out, but I won't deliberately set off for a ride if it's coming down in stair rods.  (You familiar with that expression over the pond?)

Fond memories of returning from Italy about 20 years ago where the final 25 miles to home saw rain bouncing nearly a foot off the tarmac!  The good old Triumph Daytona 955i never missed a beat.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 02:25:38 PM »
I ran into a downpoor last summer ,  riding beside a buss what the rain missed the buss caught me full force it hit a large puddle , then had to ride 25 miles home in a lite rain

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 03:47:57 PM »
Not a good experience De Dee!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

rdhood

• Dahlonega, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 12:57:39 PM »
I'm a fair weather rider.  I've slogged through bicycle centuries and across Georgia bicycle trips. I pedaled 9 hours and 120 miles in the driving rain... 20 years ago... and decided no more. I take rain gear and dont let rain deter me, but I  wont set out knowing that it's going to pour.
2013 Downtown 300i
2013 Piaggio BV350
2014 Vespa GTS 300i
2016 Vespa GTS 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 03:56:21 PM »
What it was, was, you see ( ;)) - it had been too long since the weather had given me a shot at riding.
OK. Rain and fairly warm sunrise - it's a go!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 10:53:55 AM »
Riding.  Oh how I'm missing it during lock down  :(
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 11:26:32 AM »
Riding.  Oh how I'm missing it during lock down  :(
Good time to roll it into the kitchen and "Science the sh_t out of it"! (Loved that movie, The Martian)
Pardon my french if you don't know the movie.....
Service it, I mean
Hang in there. ....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 11:01:19 AM »
If French, shouldn't it be "Merde"?...
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 07:41:50 AM »
I see this conversation covers riding in the rain and thought to suggest to have an emergency rain suit under the seat.  I suggest this suit and while it is what they call :
DuPont QC122SYL2X00 Tychem QC Chemical Protection Coveralls with Serged Seams, Front Zipper Closure, Attached Hood & Sock Boots, Elastic Face & Elastic Wrists,

It comes folded and flat so space usage is small.
 After use spray the insides with Lysol to kill odor as it doesn't breath. You can get 10 uses out of it easy and smell free if you spray it each time.

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 01:13:34 PM »
I enjoy early morning rides but here in the Tennessee ridges and valleys we get the densest fog near all rivers, creeks, and low areas. Rain will blow off the visor with a head turn but the fog really sticks. And then the lifted trucks with dual tires on the rear axles and HID headlights are added to the mix.

I don't think they grew up on a scooter.

On a different note, here's a question for the car drivers.
Does the lack of 360 vision in the car bother you after riding a scoot? I got back in the car last week after a year of solely riding the scooter and was quite upset about the field of view because in moderate left turns the front post blocks vision of the whole other lane ahead. I always watch for vehicles there and It is disconcerting to only be able to trust other drivers to be in their lanes. I know they won't be.
Become the best you can with what you have.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 12:37:10 AM »
Once upon a time I didn't have a choice, now I do.  I don't take rain gear with me. In fact I don't own any. If I get caught in a unexpected rain shower I will wait it out if convenient in a coffee shop/restaurant or make a dash back home and change out of my wet clothing. I don't do night riding as well but might head out at first light. Love early  Sunday morning rides into the countryside.

If you have read my prior post's you know why I dislike rain/night riding so won't go into that.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 12:55:48 AM »
I see this conversation covers riding in the rain and thought to suggest to have an emergency rain suit under the seat.  I suggest this suit and while it is what they call :
 It comes folded and flat so space usage is small.
 After use spray the insides with Lysol to kill odor as it doesn't breath. You can get 10 uses out of it easy and smell free if you spray it each time.

Best check your Lysol label. My cans and bottles advise it is hazardous to get Lysol on skin, wash thoroughly if you do, and not to spray on clothing.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Ernst

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 03:45:29 AM »
There goes Bowling and those shoes! OMG.. Never again! :)

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 07:34:57 AM »
I do carry waterproofs with me. Mainly because I do so hate a soggy gusset!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()