Author Topic: I have an exhaust tightening problem....sigh  (Read 1137 times)

love2ride2222

• View Profile
I have an exhaust tightening problem....sigh
« on: November 23, 2019, 02:34:29 AM »
 :'( :'(

So I have  been trying to tackle this for about 2plus months to no avail  :'(  So frustrating .

Ok so just to be clear on what I have is a Kymco Cobra racer 2t kitted with the 73 bbk , was kitted down at Moped Hospital in Key West many years ago.   Any way long story on this situation , but all of a sudden I cant seem to get my exhaust pipe to seal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ????????????? I've now have had it off and on probably more then a dozen times in the last 2 months trying different gaskets , sealers , just bought whole new pipe and STILL loud ( I know what it should sound like ) . My plug was showing super hot ( because of this leak apparently ) so I don't ride it far , just local errands because air I guess leaking into exhaust port when letting off throttle .  With the new pipe on today and the finally found the correct Oring gasket it was a tiny bit quieter , I think because of how this different brand of pipe has a small section of pipe protrudes past the flange catching the gasses better. So less backfiring but still loud not right. Part 2. Recently seemingly out of the blue when I would check the studs to see if  were tight they always seemed to keep turning. A few weeks ago I was riding decided to get under scooter and tighten because it was loud and they seemed loose. I turned them and snapped it off. I got it back home  and was able to get both studs out fairly easy. I decided to go with bolts as someone suggested on another scooter forum .  When I screwed them in with out exhaust pipe or gaskets  , they go all the way no problem and tighten , do not budge one MM. With old exhaust on the last few weeks its like there are gremlins in scooter, I would tighten the bolts , run it for a minute or even just sit over night and you could turn the bolts once again , and again and again ,and again. Ride  around the block or just sit for a little while and you could tighten them even more. I am so annoyed , it feels hopeless.  Does anyone on here have any ideas ????? 
Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 02:53:25 AM by love2ride2222 »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: I have an exhaust tightening problem....sigh
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 04:45:26 PM »
You absolutely, positively convinced nothing has stripped threads? That repetitive tightening is a give-away to me that threads are stripped. You mentioned o-ring....rubber type o-ring?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

love2ride2222

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 05:01:47 PM »
 So as I wrote I can tighten the bolts in all the way with out the pipe and they don't move a millimeter , its tight right up snug to the port surface . I could come back and it is still tight. Once I add gasket and pipe I tighten it snug. Then later I can tighten it again , and on and on , to no end.   Huh , how could you use a rubber gasket in a exhaust port ?  I am using the correct metal gasket for exhaust.

Thank you for responding , I didn't think anyone was.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 05:04:29 PM by love2ride2222 »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 05:42:45 PM »
No gasket and no pipe then bolts go tight. Yes?
Add gasket and pipe, bolt comes loose?
Sounds like something is stripped when bolt is in normal fastened depth ....finds healthy threads only when parts removed.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

love2ride2222

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 06:11:58 PM »
So I have already thought that , and purchased different length bolts , but no change.   The guy at the local hardware store sold me some new bolts and said maybe the ones Im using aren't the correct grade and the heating up had something to do with it , but idk  :(

Maybe it has something to do with swelling  ? And if it swells ( I have no idea what Im talking about , jus throwing this out there ) the bolts slip the threads some perhaps  ?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 06:15:16 PM by love2ride2222 »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 06:45:13 PM »
I don't think there is any magic going on here - seems like you've the wrong size hardware....or you have damaged threads in the hole.
If it's not the hardware, you'll need to have the hole repaired, drilled out and rethreaded, or an insert installed.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

love2ride2222

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 08:58:47 PM »
Well not good magic , that's fer sure.

Well if i'm not sure if that explains how the bolts tighten up snug with out muffler and gasket and stay there tight.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 08:53:58 AM »
Haven't got an old gasket stuck in the port, have you?

If not, refit with a new gasket and a bit of exhaust sealant and see how you get on.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 03:51:44 PM »
Haven't got an old gasket stuck in the port, have you?

If not, refit with a new gasket and a bit of exhaust sealant and see how you get on.
He may have tossed that scooter into the deep blue down there in Key West.
Going on 4 months.....
Exhaust studs are plentiful & cheap on ebay.

Stig
Do Super 8's float?
Might see it go by when in St Pete in June.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()