Author Topic: Voltage Regulator died at 18510 Km.  (Read 691 times)

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
Voltage Regulator died at 18510 Km.
« on: November 21, 2019, 04:14:38 PM »
got a bit of a shock yesterday morning when I stopped at a shop to buy groceries. Just when I stopped I saw a lot of smoke coming from somewhere behid the front panel. I switched the engine off immediately and my immediate thoughts were that at least some wiring must be cooked.
I always travel with some tools and a few spare components under the seat, and I started removing the front panel in front of the shop. A quick look at the wiring revealed that the wiring still looked perfect and i couldn't feel any heat on the wiring. But when I touched the Voltage Regulate it was very hot. In fact, almost boiling hot. I also saw some  stuff black at the plug area, which I haven't seen before.

Fortunately I always travel with a spare voltage regulator under the seat. Plugged it in and pushed the starter button, but everything was dead. Immediately had a look at the fuses, and discovered that the main fuse was blown.
I also never travel without spare fuses under the seat. Installed a new fuse, hit the starter button and Bingo - the engine started and everything works fine.  Kept the engine running for a while, and had a close look in case things start smoking again.
Nothing, no smoke.

On my way back home I was still a bit worried. Our house was about 8 km away and I thought about the possibility that the regulator might get cooked again. There was a steep hill in front of me and it started raining.

Got home without problems, and immediately hooked a voltage meter to the battery, to see if the battery doesn't get over-charged. No problem - everything was perfectly normal.
Traveled about 20 kms today, and the scoot still runs perfectly.

Travelling with a spare Regulator and extra fuses under the seat got me mobile real cheap this time.  The extra regulator came  from China, I just need to get hold of another one - just in case.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
Re: Voltage Regulator died at 18510 Km.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 04:54:17 AM »
got a bit of a shock yesterday morning when I stopped at a shop to buy groceries. Just when I stopped I saw a lot of smoke coming from somewhere behid the front panel. I switched the engine off immediately and my immediate thoughts were that at least some wiring must be cooked.
I always travel with some tools and a few spare components under the seat, and I started removing the front panel in front of the shop. A quick look at the wiring revealed that the wiring still looked perfect and i couldn't feel any heat on the wiring. But when I touched the Voltage Regulate it was very hot. In fact, almost boiling hot. I also saw some  stuff black at the plug area, which I haven't seen before.

Fortunately I always travel with a spare voltage regulator under the seat. Plugged it in and pushed the starter button, but everything was dead. Immediately had a look at the fuses, and discovered that the main fuse was blown.
I also never travel without spare fuses under the seat. Installed a new fuse, hit the starter button and Bingo - the engine started and everything works fine.  Kept the engine running for a while, and had a close look in case things start smoking again.
Nothing, no smoke.

On my way back home I was still a bit worried. Our house was about 8 km away and I thought about the possibility that the regulator might get cooked again. There was a steep hill in front of me and it started raining.

Got home without problems, and immediately hooked a voltage meter to the battery, to see if the battery doesn't get over-charged. No problem - everything was perfectly normal.
Traveled about 20 kms today, and the scoot still runs perfectly.

Travelling with a spare Regulator and extra fuses under the seat got me mobile real cheap this time.  The extra regulator came  from China, I just need to get hold of another one - just in case.

9,600 km And this Same issue happen to me twice, Whenever the fuel sending unit in the tank gets below a certain limit It causes the regulator to blow as well as the fuse. I have already gone through 2 rectifiers. Did you ever find out the issue on what caused yours to blow?
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()